texasguy37's profile

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

Thursday, May 10th, 2012 7:02 PM

Time Warner Cable Sports to Tip Off Lakers-Centric RSNs on Oct. 1

It will be interesting to see what type of carriage issues arise with these new sports channels.  Here is an excerpt from the article found in the link below:

It's official now: Time Warner Cable will tip off its two regional sports networks, centering on the Los Angeles Lakers, on Oct. 1.

The largest MSO in Los Angeles will bow Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Spanish-language RSN Time Warner Cable Deportes, which will have its own production team and programming sensibilities, shortly before the National Basketball Association begins its 2012-13 season, according to Time Warner Cable Sports president David Rone.

The foundation for the services was established in February 2011, when Time Warner Cable secured local rights to the Lakers -- whose games have been televised by Fox Sports West and KCAL-TV -- for a 20-year period in a deal that is reportedly valued at $3 billion. Since then, Time Warner Cable Sports also gained rights to the defending Major League Soccer champion Los Angeles Galaxy and the WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks.

Rone, in an interview, said Time Warner Cable counts some 2 million customers in the RSNs' territory that extends from "Fresno to the north, the Mexican border to the south, east to Palm Springs and Las Vegas, and Hawaii to the west." All told, those areas encompass some 6 million TV homes.

Rone said that he, senior vice president and general manager of Time Warner Cable Sports Regional Networks Mark Shuken and Dan Finnerty, the senior vice president of Time Warner Cable Sports, who heads affiliate sales, recently began discussions with potential distributors.

"We have not had many of them, they literally began last week. In between now and the NCTA Cable Show [which starts May 21 in Boston}, we will have gotten in front of all of the MVPDs that we need to speak to. I'm stressing MVPDs because we're speaking to MSOs, satellite companies and telcos."

Rone would not discuss pricing. Published reports have placed the ask at $3.50 per subscriber for the pair of networks. For his part, ISI Group analyst Vijay Jayant pegs the price at $2.50 per month per subscriber.

A former  executive at Fox Sports, CAA and Evolution Media Capital, Rone did say Time Warner Cable Sports' distribution game plan calls for equal footing for the services.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/484345-Time_Warner_Cable_Sports_to_Tip_Off_Lakers_Centric_RSNs_on_Oct_1.php

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Anyone else planning to switch to Time Warner to pick up both Lakers and PAC 12 network? Have landline, cell, Internet and cable with AT&T and it's a hassle to switch but will do. Get it together AT&T.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

@Clutterx4 wrote:
Anyone else planning to switch to Time Warner to pick up both Lakers and PAC 12 network? Have landline, cell, Internet and cable with AT&T and it's a hassle to switch but will do. Get it together AT&T.

As stated above, no carriage agreement have been announced for ANY TV provider.  As of now, only Time Warner will be carrying it's own network.  If you feel the need to switch to TWC, then you should do that.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

I'm in the same situation as Clutterx4. I hope that AT&T works out a deal soon with TWC to carry this channel.

texasguy37-I'm sure that AT&T would want to hold onto customers like us, and try to work out something soon. Telling us to switch to TWC would not be something that AT&T would want to hear.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

@roscoecorgi wrote:

I'm in the same situation as Clutterx4. I hope that AT&T works out a deal soon with TWC to carry this channel.

texasguy37-I'm sure that AT&T would want to hold onto customers like us, and try to work out something soon. Telling us to switch to TWC would not be something that AT&T would want to hear.

Take your concerns to TWC.  TWC has not negotiated any carriage agreements with any TV provider.  Your singling out AT&T U-verse and placing the blame on them makes no sense.

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

11 years ago

First no padres and next no Lakers. Att might as well close shop in San Diego as far as TV goes.

Scholar

• 

187 Messages

11 years ago

LOL this deal will and has allowed them to sign to the stars you need to compete in the NBA. Pretty sure fans will be happy when they win more titles.

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. Dropped 1 service already. Today is the launch of the new network and I may just have to place the switch phone call at this point. I have contacted AT&T directly as have my parents and sister with their separate contracts. I assume there is a moderator here to gather these concerns. We are not interested in other providers negotiations. Why not be the leader, negotiate a deal and meet your customer's needs? That's what I think would go a long way in building customer loyalty. Word of mouth goes a long way whether it's good or BAD and right now it's bad.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

They're meeting my needs by not purchasing the rights to carry this channel that I have no wish to view, nor any wish to see my rates increase next February to pay for.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

Do you really think TWC and the Lakers are going to negotiate very hard to get other providers on board. That's the problem with these providers starting their own networks.   They pay big money for these contracts, in turn the teams pay bigger money for the players salaries and we, the fans, get socked with higher prices for everything.

Scholar

• 

177 Messages

11 years ago

Seeing as how Uverse adds virtually nothing anymore Texas Guy is probably right. You might want to make the switch.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.