This set top box does not match the account settings on wireless receiver

Contributor

My husband confessed that the lights on the receiver were bugging him one night so he covered them up. Now this tv has this message when we try to turn it on:

"This set top box does not match the account settings on wireless receiver"

Is there a way to trouble shoot this? 

Message 7 of 140
Contributor

According to my order the activation date is 9-4 for my wireless receiver.  I did some further research on the error and saw that it would not be available until 8pm.  That was an hour ago.  I have rebooted everything and still get the same error message.  Is there something I am missing?

Message 1 of 140
Community Support

Re: This set top box does not match the account settings on wireless receiver

Hi wollnoer,

We apologize about the inconveniences with the STB not working. If the STB is plugged in before the time it is ready, a flag gets triggered, which keeps the STB from connecting. I have reprovisioned the STB, and hopefully a quick reboot will fix the issue. Let us know how it goes.

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 140
Highlighted

"This set top box does not match the account settings" error (Yes, I messed up)

So I foolishly ran off and plugged in the wireless receiver that came last night, before reading the "DO NOT INSTALL BEFORE 8:00 PM ON 10/24" message on the packing slip. Sure enough I got the "does not match account settings" error.

Is there anything that can be done in advance (while I'm here at work) by contacting support to reprovision the box before I plug it back in tonight, or do I need to wait until after 8:00 when I'm actually trying to set it up?

Message 3 of 140
Employee

Re: "This set top box does not match the account settings" error (Yes, I messed up)

Hello Dingojones,

Sorry to hear that your new receiver is not working correctly. Fortunately this is a very easy fix for us. Whenever the "This set top box does not match the account settings" error message comes up, there is an error code we can clear out in our system here on our end. Is your new wireless receiver currently unplugged right now?

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 140
Employee

Re: "This set top box does not match the account settings" error (Yes, I messed up)

Dingojones,

I just wanted to let you know that I was able to clear out the error code for you in our system and I verified that the order will allow the box to be activated next time you plug in the receiver! Smiley Happy

The box can be plugged in anytime today, so at your soonest convenience plug the power cord back in and it will establish the link to the Wireless Access Point (WAP) and then it will have a selection on the screen saying something like "TV service is not yet active" and there will be a "Try again now" selection. Choose "Try again now" and it will go through an update. With the wireless boxes, they usually take longer to update than the wired but, once the update completes, you will see it go through the standard loading screens and then TV service will be online!

Let me know how everything works out and if you need additional assistance, we'll be glad to help you. Smiley Wink

Employee Contributor*
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 140

Morgan,

This is fantastic! Thank you VERY much for your quick reply and fix!

I'm at work at the moment and was figuring I'd have to go through a support call when I got home, but this is great news. I'll follow your instructions as soon as I get home this evening and post back with the results.

Message 6 of 140
Employee

Normally "does not match account settings" means the box is not registered to your account, most often this happens when someone orders a wireless box and attempts to install before the account has been provisioned. Sometimes when someone attempts to add a box such as young adult brings home their set top box and tries to plug into parents or friends account.

If this is a wireless box can try to reconnect, unplug RG, WAP, BOX, PLUG IN in that order, may relink and will be good... replacement of either RG or WAP have to manually relink wireless box follow on screen prompts.
Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 140
Employee

Hello pjones511,

Not too sure how this set top box dropped off of the account. MT is correct, this particular error message means the box is not registered to your account but, I'll be glad to help you put it back online. Would you mind unplugging the power cord for me so I can clear this error off your box?

Employee Contributor*
Message 9 of 140
Community Manager

Thanks for helping, Morgan!

Did Morgan's post help you resolve this issue, pjones511? If so, please let us know so other customers who may be experiencing a similar problem can benefit.

We look forward to your continued participation in the forums! As always, let us know if you have any questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
Message 10 of 140
Contributor

I have the same issue- it was also my fault for setting up the receiver before the stated time. How can I get the error reset so I can complete my setup?

Message 11 of 140
Community Support

Hi uveruser909,

I apologize for the inconveniences. I have cleared out the error for you. Please go ahead and try rebooting the receiver, and when it makes it to the Connection Screen, press OK to Try Again, and hopefully, it will load right up.

If you do notice any further issues, feel free to reach out to us by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you. 

Keep an eye on the at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

Employee Contributor*
Message 12 of 140
Contributor

Thanks for the quick response. Looks like that worked: the receiver connected and is updating now so I'll know for sure soon.

Thanks again.

Message 13 of 140
Community Support

That is great to hear! I am glad everything is working for you. 

-David T

Employee Contributor*
Message 14 of 140
Contributor

My wireless receiver service was supposed to be set up in two rooms back in early October but it's never worked. Tech came out and when he left both TV's display 'This set top box does not match account settings'

Message 15 of 140
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that!

Click here to check it out or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. You can quickly and easily resolve your service woes!

You will also find some helpful articles below.

Additional Support