For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
2JZFAN's profile

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

Tuesday, October 12th, 2010 11:58 PM

Closed

Thinking about making the switch from DirecTV to U-verse, has it matured?

Hey everyone I'm Justin and I thinking about making the switch. I was hoping some current U-verse customer could guide me in my decision. First of all I'd like to say I really like the idea of this forum and have already seen how helpful ATT staffers are.

Currently we have DirecTV with HD and a single DVR STB. Our DirecTV STB is a HR21-700 which features a 320GB internal HDD. I was told by an ATT online chat representative that I can expect to receive a Moto VIP1216 STB which only has a160GB of internal storage.

1.) Do I need a residential gateway for U-verse TV service only?

2.) How many hours of HD content can be stored on a VIP1216 160GD HDD?

3.) Can I purchase a VIP1216 privately OR are the units on eBay actually property of ATT?

4.) Can I upgrade a VIP1216 internal hard drive? If so, could you provide a link. TIA.

I already have HSI service from Comcast so I will not need service from ATT. Will not purchasing his from ATT effect my U-verse experience in any way? Our neighborhood is in the process of having Hotwire Communications install a fiber network with GPON FTTH. Unfortunately Hotwire says it won't be ready for at least another two months not including wiring up each home. They will be providing 20MBps HSI service to every home included in our quarterly dues and for $20 additional will provide a 100MBps tier!

5.) Does having a different HSI provider effect the U-verse experience?

Since FTTH is incoming, what is the preferred way to have U-verse TV service installed? We've currently got the original COAX being used by Comcast HSI. We've got nothing going over the copper phone lines but however it terminates in strange spots in each room. We had DirecTV installed with fresh COAX as Comcast TV service is/was included in our dues and we wanted flaxability.

6.) What is the preferred way to have only U-verse TV service installed?

7.) Will ATT upgrade OR install network cable (Cat6) / coax (RG6) / and or copper phone lines IW in our home?

I'm really excited about IPTV from ATT, so I look forward to hearing from you all.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

14 years ago

@2JZFAN wrote:

3.) Can I purchase a VIP1216 privately OR are the units on eBay actually property of ATT?

4.) Can I upgrade a VIP1216 internal hard drive? If so, could you provide a link. TIA.

7.) Will ATT upgrade OR install network cable (Cat6) / coax (RG6) / and or copper phone lines IW in our home?

1. Yes, residential gateway is required for any U-Verse service.  The residential gateway is a combination unit that consists of: VDSL modem, 100 Mbps Ethernet switch (4 ports), router, firewall, 802.11g wireless access point, HPNA/coax terminal, VOIP terminal adapter.

2. There are 3 possibilities for your DVR:

Motorola VIP1216 or Cisco/SA IPN430: 160GB HD, 37 hrs HD or 133 hrs SD

Motorola VIP1225: 250GB HD, 65 hrs HD or 233 hrs SD

Cisco/SA IPN4320: 320GB HD, 87 hrs HD or 311 hrs SD

3. All units available through some other channel than AT&T are officially considered stolen property.  All units are supposed to be returned to AT&T when a customer discontinues service.  AT&T will not activate these units.

4. It is against AT&T terms of service to tamper with the units, however people have done it.  It requires a hard drive with firmware specific for DVR units such as the Seagate Pipeline or SV35 series, must be parallel ATA, and must be 320GB or less (500GB+ drives will not format in the unit).  Finding a hard drive that meets these requirements is exceedingly difficult.

5. Without AT&T HSI, you cannot use the U-Verse Web Remote Access tool to manage the DVR remoteley to schedule recordings, and you cannot use the U-Verse Online video streaming site.

6. U-Verse can run over coax cabling (RG-6) or Ethernet wiring (Cat5e).  Both work identically when properly installed, but Ethernet wiring is less prone to installation errors.

7. AT&T premises technicians will use whatever cabling is available in your home to install the service.  Generally, this means using the existing coax cabling, although they will typically replace all end connectors, wall plates, and splitters.  If in-home wiring does not exist, they will install compatible wiring at no charge, but will not fish the wire through walls.  It will be installed on the outside of the house or inside along baseboards/under carpet.  If in-home wiring exists but cannot be used (e.g. you're going to use it for Comcast HSI), then they will install compatible wiring but there will be a charge.

Be aware that you may not be able to get a Cisco/SA IPN4320.  In each U-Verse market, the premises technicians carry either all Motorola equipment, or all Cisco/SA equipment, not both.  If you are in an area that carries Motorola equipment, then the largest unit you will be able to get is the Motorola VIP1225.

Scholar

• 

135 Messages

14 years ago

@2JZFAN wrote:

Hey everyone I'm Justin and I thinking about making the switch. I was hoping some current U-verse customer could guide me in my decision. First of all I'd like to say I really like the idea of this forum and have already seen how helpful ATT staffers are.

Currently we have DirecTV with HD and a single DVR STB. Our DirecTV STB is a HR21-700 which features a 320GB internal HDD. I was told by an ATT online chat representative that I can expect to receive a Moto VIP1216 STB which only has a160GB of internal storage.

I already have HSI service from Comcast so I will not need service from ATT. Will not purchasing his from ATT effect my U-verse experience in any way? Our neighborhood is in the process of having Hotwire Communications install a fiber network with GPON FTTH. Unfortunately Hotwire says it won't be ready for at least another two months not including wiring up each home. They will be providing 20MBps HSI service to every home included in our quarterly dues and for $20 additional will provide a 100MBps tier!

Since FTTH is incoming, what is the preferred way to have U-verse TV service installed? We've currently got the original COAX being used by Comcast HSI. We've got nothing going over the copper phone lines but however it terminates in strange spots in each room. We had DirecTV installed with fresh COAX as Comcast TV service is/was included in our dues and we wanted flaxability.

I'm really excited about IPTV from ATT, so I look forward to hearing from you all.

In some markets(mine included) you can only get 2 HD streams . That means if you have three hd sets and three different persons want to watch three different hd shows, someone is out of luck. Already happened to me , Recordings in hd count towards the streams also. This is probably why I'm going to have to dump U-verse. They are also thin on sports prgramming. NO MLB Net or NBA TV.

Scholar

• 

205 Messages

14 years ago

I have Internet and Digital Phone from Comcast, UVerse TV  from AT&T.

Since I ordered the HD package my service included the larger DVR, a CISCO 4320 with 320 gig HD. My understanding is that all new HD customers would recieve the larger hard drive so you may want to recheck with the sales department.

The Residential Gateway is required and serves as the distribution point for all UVerse services.

If you order TV and Internet at the same time install is free, if you decide to add internet later AT&T will hit you with a $149 installation fee even though the Residential Gateway is already in place.

Having a different HSI provider will not affect the UVerse experience.

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

14 years ago

Unfortunately you cannot edit posts on this forum.. But we've already gotten some great answers, thanks for taking the time to read through my wall of text and offer your experiences & advice. 

A.) Can I purchase a U-verse STB privately OR are the units on eBay actually still property of ATT?

B.) Can I upgrade a U-verse STB internal hard drive? I understand TOS, just speaking hypothetically.

C.) What is the preferred way to have only U-verse TV service installed? (network cable (Cat6) / coax (RG6) / and or POTS)

D.) Will ATT upgrade OR install network cable (Cat6) / coax (RG6) / and or POTS IW in our home?

@larry11 wrote:

In some markets(mine included) you can only get 2 HD streams . That means if you have three hd sets and three different persons want to watch three different hd shows, someone is out of luck. Already happened to me , Recordings in hd count towards the streams also. This is probably why I'm going to have to dump U-verse. They are also thin on sports prgramming. NO MLB Net or NBA TV.

I was wondering about how all that worked.. We only have one DirecTV STB and utilized DIRECTV2PC to stream to our HTPC. We can record two HD broadcasts AND watch an HD show on the main DVR simultaneously. Will we still be able to do this? Will we be able to record two HD streams AND watch one in the living room previously recorded? I became confused when I began watching the U-verse videos on YouTube. Thanks for the quick reply btw.

@Don_H_1 wrote:

I have Internet and Digital Phone from Comcast, UVerse TV  from AT&T.

Since I ordered the HD package my service included the larger DVR, a CISCO 4320 with 320 gig HD. My understanding is that all new HD customers would recieve the larger hard drive so you may want to recheck with the sales department.

The Residential Gateway is required and serves as the distribution point for all UVerse services.

If you order TV and Internet at the same time install is free, if you decide to add internet later AT&T will hit you with a $149 installation fee even though the Residential Gateway is already in place.

Having a different HSI provider will not affect the UVerse experience.

Thanks for the heads up! I actually continued looking into the STB and eventually stumbled onto the Cisco/Scientific Atlanta IPN-4320. I'll be asking for it by name in the comment section when placing our order ;). Thanks for the comments on the RG and in reference to the HSI, you've been a big help.

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

14 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, I wish I could have given you Kudos.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

14 years ago

if I were you, i wouldn't switch. with uverse, you get limited HD by streams, you get barely any ondemand.  its not really worth it.  I have uverse now so I"m sticking with it, but I'm debating going to directv.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

14 years ago

robl45 wrote:

if I were you, i wouldn't switch. with uverse, you get limited HD by streams, you get barely any ondemand.  its not really worth it.  I have uverse now so I"m sticking with it, but I'm debating going to directv.

The majority of customer are on the 32/5 profile which provides at least 3 HD streams, and this is being updated to 4 HD streams.  The 4 HD stream profile has already been released in a number of markets.

Also, not everyone is looking for On Demand content.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

14 years ago

yea, neigher was I until I read about it on directvs site and tried it.  talk about awesome, you don't waste your dvr because the stuff is already there.  oh yea, on other providers except uverse.

and most people want 3 streams of HD right? so they can't watch other TVs.    just keeping it real.  Uverse has major major limitations.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

14 years ago

robl45 wrote:

yea, neigher was I until I read about it on directvs site and tried it.  talk about awesome, you don't waste your dvr because the stuff is already there.  oh yea, on other providers except uverse.

and most people want 3 streams of HD right? so they can't watch other TVs.    just keeping it real.  Uverse has major major limitations.

What profile are you on 32/5, 25/2 or 19/2?  How many HD streams do you currently have?

By the way, I don't care if someone wants Directv or U-verse.  I just don't want incorrect information being distributed.

Scholar

• 

153 Messages

14 years ago

I think you have to give U-verse some credit here. It is a relatively new player in the game and it is only in just under 3 million homes, but their approach to providing a 3 tiered bundle with multiple HD streams on the TV tier really shook up the complacent satellite providers. It's only because of U-verse that DirecTV has put together its excellent Whole Home DVR package.

There is no one tv provider that offers all things to all people, but I applaud U-verse for being the terrier in the pack, and continuing to snap at the ankles of the big players as it grows.

As customers, we all benefit from U-verse continuing to invest and grow in the market. Has it matured? I think the honest answer is "Some" but it has a way to go.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.