dwinth's profile
ACE - Professor

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

Friday, December 25th, 2015 10:31 PM

The Hallmark Channels Christmas 2015

I hope that all of you from the last five years who were upset by the fact that the Hallmark channels were no longer a part of the U-verse lineup are happy and satisfied that you have the Hallmark channels back this holiday season.

I wonder how many of those unhappy subscribers who threatened to leave U-verse over the last five years due to the absence of the Hallmark channels actually left U-verse, or were they just bluffing?

Everyone on this forum, have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Scholar

• 

155 Messages

8 years ago

This is an issue which became resolved. While the Hallmark channel brands were off the AT&T U-verse lineup for nearly five years, I had some mixed reactions to some postings expressed in this "AT&T Community Forums."

Now that that issue is behind, what will really become interesting to see is what becomes of AT&T's two television services, U-verse and DirecTV, as we get into a new year in which progress will be expected by the people behind the scenes at very important levels with their transformation of U-verse/DirecTV.

While the two-month marathon of holiday-themed movies are still airing on Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries—which returned to the U-verse lineup one day prior to AT&T's acquistion of DirecTV having been formally approved by the FCC—I will figure that those who were totally legit in urging AT&T to return them to U-verse are appreciating and enjoying much of the Hallmark programming.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

Big changes coming in 2016, ATT will bring out the Home Media Gateway.  It will handle all routing, access and storage, eliminating all DVR/STBs in a single CPE environment.

Built on a 'thin hardware profile' on DirecTV architecture, probably going to all program material from the'cloud'.

AT&T added the platform, which it called a "home media gateway" in its presentation, will support third-party broadband connections, LTE connections and AT&T broadband connections into users' homes. 

Concurrently, Stankey said AT&T is also developing a new content gateway that will link to its new in-home equipment. He said the gateway would allow users to access the same content outside their homes, including on networks that are not managed by AT&T. He said the new content gateway that will work with AT&T's in-home platform "will become a consolidated, single platform over the next 24-36 months."

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/att-stop-investing-u-verse-cpe-will-move-new-home-architecture-using-direct/2015-08-12

So things, they are a changin'. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

8 years ago

So one Home Media Gateway will replace my RG, two wireless STBs and one DVR? Howso? Wouldn't you still need an STB to connect to the TV?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

8 years ago

@baseballisback wrote:

So one Home Media Gateway will replace my RG, two wireless STBs and one DVR? Howso? Wouldn't you still need an STB to connect to the TV?

The presentation given to investors back in August indicated common set-top CPE between U-verse and DIRECTV subscribers and the "Home Media Gateway" which could have been anything.  The presentation was hype-heavy and detail-light.  I do not expect to see any of it actually in my home in 2016 and I doubt very many others will be seeing it very early in 2016.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@baseballisback wrote:

Think it's going to take the DirecTV method of whole home w/having a small box/dongle connecting the TVs.  This has the Home Media Gateway handling what the DVR/STB does, routing, access and storage.  This will have Uverse program material coming from the 'cloud' and just about any other streaming service should work better too.

Don't you remember when I posted Network DVR: the killer app for cloud TV 2 1/2 years ago:

“Consumers will benefit from being able to access content anywhere, anytime, without having to download it – providing they have a broadband connection. Distributors will be able to create a single, secure content store for their customers to access, lowering costs for management and tracking. In some ways, it may even be simpler than what is happening with music today, because consumers historically viewed music as something they ‘owned’, while this was typically not the case for TV content,” says Johnston.

The ability to record content and make that recording available from the cloud to any device is clearly compelling to consumers. As streaming goes from a trickle to a deluge, though, networked DVRs could quickly become sidelined adds Akamai’s director of product marketing for media, Kurt Michel.

“I use my DVR for linear broadcasts. I tell my DVR that there is something that I want to watch and I ask it to grab it. But now with OTT, so much content is available to me when I want to watch it, I don’t need to record it. DVRs won’t become completely redundant as not everything is streamed, but a lot is. I’ve already noticed that my children rarely record anything and they are the generation to watch.” an excerpt

Seems this is what Uverse will be turning into.   Only thing going through my mind, how often will we have to reboot the HMG? 😉

Chris

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

8 years ago

Apparently, I don't remember that...

Sooooo... if we're getting cloud storage, then will I be able to upload shows currently saved on my DVR?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@baseballisback wrote:

Apparently, I don't remember that...

Sooooo... if we're getting cloud storage, then will I be able to upload shows currently saved on my DVR?

Possibly will be on the 'cloud', a giant VOD. Would not be wanting to upload them on slow uploads here anyways.  Or DVRs will be around for a few days to get things watched.  If you are 'storing' them, the DVRs were just temporary storage. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

8 years ago

Along those same lines....  what are new U-Verse TV subscribers currently getting?  The reason that I ask is that a friend from work recently left Brighthouse for U-Verse.  He lives in a condo near downtown Indy.  He got U-Verse ADSL and a satellite dish.  The installer (supposedly) said no new U-Verse customers would be getting the TV part of U-Verse by fiber or copper, just by a dish.  Did he hear that correctly?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.