Grammi6's profile

Teacher

• 

38 Messages

Friday, May 26th, 2017 8:22 PM

TV picture too large

I've had this problem before but it's worse this time. The heads of the actors take up half the screen or they are cut off from the eyebrows up. An AT&T tech just left and pretty much said that's just the way it is. He checked all the aspect ratios on all 3 TV's and said they are correct. He installed a new gateway, not that it made any difference. I was sure he would replace the receiver or DVR but he didn't. I have shows recorded that I watched last week that were in the correct proportions and now there's very little background and their heads are huge. I am so frustrated with this problem. Any other ideas?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

There are two zoom controls that you need to "play" around with.  The first is your TV's zoom.  You should have a TV menu that you can bring up with the TV's remote.  That remote may already have a button for zoom control.  Look at your TV's user manual.

The second zoom control is on your U-verse remote.  It's in the lower right.  Depending on which remote you have it will be marked "zoom" or "cc".  Either way that will bring up a menu on the right where you can get to the zoom settings.

You need to fiddle with these settings to get what you are happy with.  I suggest "normal" for the U-verse setting and a similar setting for the TV's control.  Depending on the TV brand they may label this different ways so you need to experiment or read your manual.

There's also U-verse's screen resolution to consider.  Use the Uverse remote and press menu.  From the menu select options, system, and finally tv screen resolution.  Select the appropriate setting for your TV (if you have a 1080p TV you still want to select 1080i).

Hope this helps.  There's really not a lot of variables to play with.  So you should be able to figure this out.

Update/edit: Here's some related info about black bars around certain videos and aspect ratio.

Teacher

• 

38 Messages

7 years ago

I've done all of the things you listed countless times. Like I said one of your techs was here at the house yesterday and he did all of that as well. He said I have everything correct. He had no answer for the problem either.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

7 years ago

I see that you posted around this time last year with the same issue but I don't see that you ever found a fix.  Did you ever find out what the problem was or a solution?

Teacher

• 

38 Messages

7 years ago

I noticed it was the exact date last year too, ironic. No, I never found a solution it fixed itself eventually, but this time it's worse.
I have a lot of problems with Uverse. Last year they replaced the router, 2 receivers, the DVR, did some rewiring, They said some of the picture problems happen with updates. The tech last year said he had countless calls after one of the update last year. It's just very frustrating

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

7 years ago

I believe it was suggested that you do a Whole House Reboot last year.  Did you do a WHR the last time and/or did you try it this time?

Teacher

• 

38 Messages

7 years ago

The technician did it yesterday

Teacher

• 

38 Messages

7 years ago

The technician did a WHR yesterday.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

I noticed it was the exact date last year too, ironic. No, I never found a solution it fixed itself eventually, but this time it's worse.
I have a lot of problems with Uverse. Last year they replaced the router, 2 receivers, the DVR, did some rewiring, They said some of the picture problems happen with updates. The tech last year said he had countless calls after one of the update last year. It's just very frustrating

So you are re-posting the same problem you had a year before (thanks @skeeterintexas for pointing that out) and you previously did/checked all the things I suggested with no success.  Gee, I which I had known that.  Replacing all the equipment I would sort of characterize as the ultimate WHR. Man Surprised  So below are some questions and tests to try or think of (in no particular order).

1. Is this problem with only dvr recorded videos?
  2. Does watching live broadcasts look ok?
  3. Is this for specific or all channels?
  4. Have you tried watching a live broadcasted segment, and if ok, recording at the same time and then seeing if that playback looks ok?
  5. If live playback of a local channel is not ok, what would it look like if you looked at it with a OTA antenna? That would take uverse out of the picture (no pun intended) to see if your tv is at fault.
  6. If you have more than one tv does this happen on all tv's?
  7. Are you using hdmi?  If so does the problems occur if using a component connection?  What about using a different hdmi input connection to your tv?
  8. Would it be possible to post a picture illustrating the problem you see?

Teacher

• 

38 Messages

7 years ago

1. No, its with live and recorded shows
2. No
3. All channels, however older movies from day the 1960's are in the right proportions
4. The playback is the same as the live. If the live goes back to a smaller view so do the playbacks.
5. I haven't tried this yet. I don't have one.
6. On both hdmi TV's
7. Both have hdmi connections with hdmi cables. I have 4 inputs in one tv, the clarity of the picture is best on #4. Size does not change on any of them. A few years ago it was in another hdmi slot but the technician moved it to #4 and said that's the one it should be on. That was a different issue we had not size of picture.
8. I was trying to figure yesterday how to post a picture. I did it last year but I don't remember how. Unless you can tell me.

This was posted on another provider site:
Their receiver/DVR were a little different set up so is there some comparable way to do the same thing?

"TV picture too big, not an aspect ratio problem"
Solution
Fixed!!
Called __________ and the nice lady told me what to do.
Turn DVR on. Then turn it off and quickly press and hold the "menu" and "info" buttons.
An HD setup screen appears. Follow the directions.
HD is now correct again.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

7 years ago

If you've done a soft or Whole House Reboot your other option is a hard reboot but that will erase all of your saved recordings.

Have you tried component cables (RGB) instead of HDMI?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.