Linda661's profile

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

Thursday, May 10th, 2012 9:41 PM

TV is sputtering on hot days

I'm not sure if this is the right palce for this question.  Now that summer is here (UGH) we are having the same problem as last summer.  Around noon and later the tv will have sputtering spells.  Besides being annoying, it can't be good for the television.  We had a tech out for another matter last year and he said that the hot sun on our outside connection was causing it. 

Question 1. Is it true that the hot sun on our outside connections can cause reception problems

Question 2   If so, what can we do to stop it

I am also wondering if maybe we have weak cables somewhere in the connections.  It only happens on the main TV in the living room.  I do use coax cable to connect our service to that tv and it goes thru a DVD player and a Laser disc player to get to the tv set.

Question 1   Could the coax cable be the probelm

Question 2   Is it bad to run the service thru so many other devices

Question 3   What is the best kind of cable to use on our connections I'm not up on the latest technology terms, so be kind.  I thought I could use the red/yellow/white A/V cables.  There is a spot for HDMI (?).  I don't know what that is or what kind of cable that would be.

Our TV is High Def, but we don't subscribe to High Def programming.

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

Bitloading-2012-05-10-15-55-35.pngStats-2012-05-10-15-55-20.pngCoaxHPNA-2012-05-10-15-55-42.pngErrorTable-2012-05-10-15-55-28.png

4 Attachments

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

I'm using coaxial cable everywhere.  I'm going to try to change to something else.  I don't have a HDMI cable.  You'd think one must have come with my TV so maybe I put it somewhere.

I'll do the power down and run the test again.

Two questions:

Am I supposed to powere down the gate way on a regular basis?  How often?

Can the hot sun be affecting anything to do with my reception?

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

On my Coax screen shot I had that message to run the link

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_5_0

when I access that site (called 2 WIRE) there are all sorts of pages and tests.  Should I be doing something there or are you looking at that?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@Linda661 wrote:

Two questions:

Am I supposed to powere down the gate way on a regular basis?  How often?

Can the hot sun be affecting anything to do with my reception?

Options vary about rebooting the gateway on a regular basis.  I generally reboot mine 1 or 2 times a month.

I have not heard about the hot sun affecting reception.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@Linda661 wrote:

On my Coax screen shot I had that message to run the link

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_5_0

when I access that site (called 2 WIRE) there are all sorts of pages and tests.  Should I be doing something there or are you looking at that?

On that page, there should be a button to press to run the Extended Test.

Guru

• 

778 Messages

12 years ago

Linda661 wrote:

"I don't subscribe to HD because I am on a very fixed income.  I'm already pushing it to have the 450 service.  I don't mind."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't HD already included in the 450 package?

Guru

• 

778 Messages

12 years ago

Ah!  Ok, I mis-read that as meaning using coax to connect each box to the network.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

I think she is using coax for those connections also.  The U-verse boxes are feed by coax, and she also uses coax to connect the U-verse boxes to the TV's.  

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

oops...I have the U300 package.  No HD

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

Powered down the gateway and tried to run the extended test, but it is asking me for a password.  I don't use a lot of passwords and I don't know what password it means.  When I click on " I forgot the password" the hint says that the system password is on the label???????  UGH

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.