For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Linda661's profile

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

Thursday, May 10th, 2012 9:41 PM

TV is sputtering on hot days

I'm not sure if this is the right palce for this question.  Now that summer is here (UGH) we are having the same problem as last summer.  Around noon and later the tv will have sputtering spells.  Besides being annoying, it can't be good for the television.  We had a tech out for another matter last year and he said that the hot sun on our outside connection was causing it. 

Question 1. Is it true that the hot sun on our outside connections can cause reception problems

Question 2   If so, what can we do to stop it

I am also wondering if maybe we have weak cables somewhere in the connections.  It only happens on the main TV in the living room.  I do use coax cable to connect our service to that tv and it goes thru a DVD player and a Laser disc player to get to the tv set.

Question 1   Could the coax cable be the probelm

Question 2   Is it bad to run the service thru so many other devices

Question 3   What is the best kind of cable to use on our connections I'm not up on the latest technology terms, so be kind.  I thought I could use the red/yellow/white A/V cables.  There is a spot for HDMI (?).  I don't know what that is or what kind of cable that would be.

Our TV is High Def, but we don't subscribe to High Def programming.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for posting those screenshots! 

I notice that your gateway has been running for 65 days.  I would suggest that you unplug it for about 30 seconds and then plug it back in.

Also, if any of your U-verse receivers are feed by coaxial cable, after the gateway comes back online, run the Extended Test and then repost the Coax.HPNA tab.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

12 years ago

This system password is the default password used for your residential gateway (commonly called the RG on here; it's the 2Wire device that runs the U-Verse service inside your home).  Look for a label on the bottom that has all sorts of information on it.  One of the items there will say "System Password."  That is the password that the software wishes you to enter.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

Yes it is on a label on the RG. I believe on a battery pack if you have an inid.

On the 3801 RG it is in white letters on the black box - Device Access code. It is a 10 digit number.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

Make sure that volume on the U-verse boxes themselves are set to the maximum level (i.e. 25):

1) Press and hold the AT&T button on the remote.

2) Press the OK button and release it and the AT&T button at the same time. All the universal lights will flash twice.

3) Type 955. The AT&T button will flash twice.

4) Press the ENTER button in the lower right hand corner

5) Now you can use the VOL button to turn your U-verse box all the way up.

Once you get it set how you want, set the remote back to control the TV volume instead of the U-verse box. To do that:

1) Press and hold the AT&T button on the remote.

2) Press the OK button and release it and the AT&T button at the same time. All the universal lights will flash twice.

3) Type 955. The AT&T button will flash twice.

4) Press the TV button. The TV button will flash twice.

5. Press the AT&T button

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

Yes, the $10 HD Technology fee is included in the U450 package.  Since the OP has been using coax to connect the U-verse receiver to the HDTV, she has not been receiving an HD picture on any of the HD channels (channels 1000 - 1999).

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

Why does the U-verse receiver connect to the TV through the DVD player and Laser disc player as opposed to a direct connection from the U-verse receiver to the TV? 

Since you have an HDTV, I would recommend either an HDMI cable or component cables even though you do not subscribe to the HD service.  Those are the only connections that will deliver a HD picture which you can take advantage of whenever U-verse offer an HD free preview.  By the way, why do you not want HD service on your HDTV?

I don't know that the connection between the U-verse receiver and the TV is the reason for the sputtering.  Can you download and install SomeJoe's tool at the link below?

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

Once you install the tool, please post screenshots of the following tabs: IP/ProfileError Table, Bitloading, & Coax/HPNA.

We can take a look at the screenshots to see if there appears that you might be an issue with your system.

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

I replied, but my message was moved while I was runnig the tests.  I don't know if you got my message.  I run thru all of the components because that's the way I've always done it in the past to be able to see my laser movies on the tv or switch back and forth.  I am willing to run directly fromt he DVR to the TV and not worry ab out the DVD and Laser.

I don't subscribe to HD because I am on a very fixed income.  I'm already pushing it to have the 450 service.  I don't mind.

I have the screen shots, but don't know how to send them to you.

Scholar

• 

247 Messages

12 years ago

When Realtime asked if I wanted to include personal information, I said Yes.  Should I include personal information?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@Linda661 wrote:

When Realtime asked if I wanted to include personal information, I said Yes.  Should I include personal information?

No, you do not want to include personal information.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@Linda661 wrote:

I replied, but my message was moved while I was runnig the tests.  I don't know if you got my message.  I run thru all of the components because that's the way I've always done it in the past to be able to see my laser movies on the tv or switch back and forth.  I am willing to run directly fromt he DVR to the TV and not worry ab out the DVD and Laser.

I don't subscribe to HD because I am on a very fixed income.  I'm already pushing it to have the 450 service.  I don't mind.

I have the screen shots, but don't know how to send them to you.

You can insert the screenshots into a message using the icon that looks like a tree.

Also, you should connect both the DVD player and the Laser disc player directly to your TV.  There should be enough connections on your HDTV for all of those devices to connect individually.  You just change the input on the TV to go between U-verse, the DVD player and the Laser disc player.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.