JasonT32's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, April 17th, 2013 4:45 PM

Sony sound bar & Uverse remote?

I have a Sony soundbar for the audio for my tv, is there a way to control the volume with the Uverse remote? I did get it to connect under the AUX button but it does not control the volume at all.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Hello,

I just purchased a Sony CT770 Soundbar and I am trying to pair it with the AUX button so I can control the volume with my Uverse remote. I know how to set up the remote to control devices. I have tried to do the Search/Scan method but after at least 50 attempts, no connection was made. I then tried manually entering all of the device codes for "Home Theaters in a Box" and "Receivers" but again no connection was made. (As a side note, the AUX button would begin flashing several times after punching in the second digit.)

Is it possible the remote will not be able to control the soundbar volume or is there something I am missing here?

I am familiar with the ATT/OK-955 protocol, but don't I have to have the AUX-Soundbar paired first?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Yes & no to having to pair the sb first.

Yes, it is required for full support. Unfortunately, not all sbs are supported.

The no side is a work around. Using the 955 as you typed it has the vol control follow the mode button. Since you watch in att mode, you will control the STB volume. In TV mode you can control the TV volume. You cannot use the u-verse remote to control the sb because there is no paring code.

Set the STB vol to 15. Set the TV vol to a comfortable level. Set the sb vol to a comfortable level.

While watching in att mode, you will be raising and lowering the volume via the STB. You hear it from the TV or SB, whichever is active.

You cannot power toggle the sb with the u-verse remote.

I believe I saw a post where some sbs can be controlled by TV codes. But, you cannot program the aux button with TV codes. You can try all sony TV codes on the TV button to see if one works. If it does you can change the aux button to a tv button & apply that code.

Or, you can get a more robust remote. Logitech Harmony or - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=RCRP05BR

Another alternative is to return the Sony and get a Zvox or klipsch sound bar that can be programmed to TV codes, which guarrantees you can make it work with u-verse remote.

Love my Zvox.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I was able to program in the 955 protocol, but there seems to be no significant change in volume (from level 1-25) when I see the STB volume indicator change on the screen. I initially set the STB volume at 15. I did not set my TV volume at 15 b/c I don't want any sound coming out of my TV (it is set at 0). I want all the sound coming from my SB. When I use the ATT mode to change the STB volume, the volume doesn't change significantly on my SB.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

@RyanD68-

That is a shame. You can try a variety of settings and connections.

Is the stb audio connected directly to the SB? If not try it. If yes try a different connection(HDMI, Optical, RCA jacks).  Also, try the STB set lower(10)  & higher (20) Or even 25 as the ceiling for the base level.

Or, is the SB connected to the TV audio out? If not, try it. If yes (or no) you have to check the TV sound. Do you have a speakers off setting that is what you should use to block the TV sound.

Is there a setting that says TV volume controls the TV audio out or does not control audio out. If TV volume controls audio out - crank it up (with  TV speakers shut off).

You can see it is complicated depending on your equipment. If you cannot get it to work, you will need to get a more robust remote. Someone posted that att may be coming out with one.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I am not sure what you mean by "STB audio"? Is this from the Uverse box? When I am trying to change volume with my Uverse remote, the volume indicator on my TV shows up and goes up and down, but actual volume d/n change SEE PHOTO BELOW (this is a different volume indicator than my TV volume indicator...see photo below.)

My current connections are HDMI from Uverse box to TV, optical from TV to SB (tried optical from Uverse box to SB does not work...no sound.) Instead of the optical cable, I tried connecting HDMI from TV to SB but that didn't work...no sound. As a side note, there is only 1 HDMI on the back of the Uverse box that is going to my TV. There are 2 HDMI on my TV and 4 on my SB (3 in, 1 out). There are Optical on all 3, and RCA jacks on box and TV, but none on SB.

I checked my audio settings on my TV and nothing changed by turning speakers off. 

IMG_0259.JPG

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

By STB audio, I mean the red/white jacks, optical or hdmi. on the u-verse STB.

The red/white jacks are anlog & the STB option must be set to stereo.

The optical & HDMI connections are digital & can be surround sound. But, I believe it is PCM & the connecting device must be able to decode it. try stereo first.

The screen picture does show the STB vol indicator. If it goes up/dowwn, you should hear the difference. You must not be connected. Try it while connected to the TV to see the indicator & hear the equivalent sound.

Looks like the RCA jacks & HDMI is out. (can't use) Try the optical STB to SB again.Make sure it is well seated. Try stereo setting.

The TV -SB optical may only work for over the air & not pass through from another input.

The turning TV speakers off is so that the other ways do not impact the output connection. But, you have to know what happens with those settings. With speakers off turn TV volume up down does it affect SB? Can you set it so that it is fixed (set to one level)?

Post your TV model & I will look it up.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I can change the STB vol indicator up and down (as shown in the screen shot) to go from 0 to 25 but no change in sound volume on the SB (it does mute at 0, though). I was able to connect optical from STB to SB and it now works for sound, but again SB d/n change volume when STB indicator on TV goes up and down.

It seems like I might need to somehow set up the Uverse remote again so the sound will change when I press the volume button so the STB vol indicator goes up and down.

According to what you said, it looks like all of my connections are digital. I could not find how to change stereo setting as you mentioned.

TV model LG 47LS4500

SB model Sony CT770

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

The stereo/surround setting is found - Menu-options-audio/lang options-dikital audio output.

It does not ,ake sense to me that you can hear U-verse content sound on the SB, but it does not vary with the number increase/decreas on the screen.

I looked at the TV manual & there is not much there. It looks like the audio output is optical. Can you connect that to the SB & tune over the air to get sound, See if it varies with varying the TV volume.

Then change TV input to U-verse to see if it passed the audio through.

Then disconnect the optical from the TV & insert it in the STB to see if it works.

I tried looking at the the Sonyy manual & just ciould not get a coherent copy. It does asay it has ARC to get the audio off the output HDMI connection to the tV. I do not see that the TV has that feature. You should make sure it is off in the SB.

Since you can the STB volume on the TV & see it change, the remote is programmed correctly to change it. the problem is NOT a remote problem, It a cconnection problem or a setting on the STB(Stereo) or TV or SB.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

The stereo setting did it! The only final question I have is... if I have the stereo setting selected and not the surround sound, will I not get the surround effect through my soundbar? This is one of the reasons I got the SB...to get the surround effect. Thanks so much for your help!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

When I first saw your question - if I have the stereo setting selected and not the surround sound, will I not get the surround effect through my soundbar? - I did not think I could answer it. On second reading I think I can -

The key word is effect.

Physical surround requires at least five speakers placed around the listener to produce sound coming from those directions. The sound has to be directed to specifically to each of those speakers by the original production. The speaker specification is carried by a coded signal.

So, for a physical surround sound experience you need mamy speakers, properly placed and balanced for the environment, directed by one of a number of different coding methods. Anything less is a compromise.

We make the first.biggest/compromize when we select a soundbar instead of multiple speakers. Once we make that choice, it limits how far the result can go. If the actual sound from the speaker is virtual or manufactured, how much difference does it make if the original signal is very specific or very vague.

This is the discussion of many reviews. It always seems to end up that the compromize is satisfactory.

Further, many soundbars( and Tvs) do not have signal decoders. Lke my Zvox. The Sony does have a number suround decoders. Of course, now that you have it producing sound, you could work with Sony to ask them why it does not decode the u-verse surround sound.

Try the different EFFECT settings on the soundbar to see if there is one you like while considering all the money and effort you saved not going whole hog. You will probably land on the same spot as all those other reviewers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.