poodlebuzz's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Thursday, August 7th, 2014 9:02 PM

Search feature needs attention

After several days as a new Uverse subscriber, I finally made some sense of an awful search function Uverse has. It still is bad, but boy does ATT do everything they can possibly do on every single feature to make you scratch your head in confusion.

For days, I have tried repeatedly to search for a favorite show. Let's say Shameless for example. After painstakingly finding the search function (not on the remote mind you) under the Menu/Live/Search tabs and then typing each key like I'm using a year 2000 dvr model, I finally get a list of Shameless. However, I kept repeatedly clicking on the HD options and all I got were Showtime On Demand listings. What? No matter what I tried, I could not get regular tv listings. I went into the SD listings. Same thing. The only option I could find was to click on cast and then find listings for a main character and finally could see regular tv listings. There must be something I was missing right?

Well, I was. Like much of Uverse functions, there is no real detail on most of what you are clicking. I was making a stupid mistake of selecting HD options (since that is what I subscribe to and my tv supports). I should have been selecting another line item returned when I search for Shameless. Because Uverse doesn't narrow your search down very well, you might get 5 or 7 main entries returned for your search (along with several others that have those words anywhere in the title or whatever). I had to keep clicking on every single one (usually the ones without SD or HD in the line) to FINALLY find tv listings. This is absolutely nuts. Does no one at Uverse ever test these things or get feedback?

Now that I've detailed the search confusion, let me take the chance to say that this archaic way to search is so mind boggling. Why does Uverse not allow you to search from the channel grid (put cursor on some show at 8pm and hit search and then have it find similar titles on future dates and on demand)?  Or when you are viewing your recordings, again click search if you are highlighting a recording show and then let it search for more of the same? Basically, there should be a way to avoid all this time consuming navigation to the search menu area and then having to manually type every last letter of a title or actor to find something. My nieces and nephews have more advanced technology in their elementary school gadgets and classes. And yes, DISH has an amazing search function that lets you do this and so much more. You are watching something and like it and want to know when it airs again, you just hit search and you are done without interrupting anything you are doing. And of course, from there you can immediately set recordings.

Maybe I don't have a question. But in all this ranting, if anyone has any feedback on shortcuts or other search methods I am missing (I am new to Uverse after all), please feel free to share.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

@poodlebuzz wrote:

Why does Uverse not allow you to search from the channel grid (put cursor on some show at 8pm and hit search and then have it find similar titles on future dates and on demand)? 

I'm not sure I'm understanding your request but "More showtimes" is viewable when you use "Info" on the remote. 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks. I just checked this and it is a suitable work around for a search in most cases. Still wish I could just click the remote and do this in one touch but I can live with this. yea!

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

I remember when we got our first computer 25 years ago.  My oldest daughter (8 at the time) used to get so mad at me because I was so afraid of hitting a button for fear of messing something up.  She'd say "MOM...just hit the button!"

There's a learning curve with any new service.  The best advice is to just get in there, hit some buttons and do some exploring/testing.  You'll never learn if you don't try.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, agreed. I am learning THAT is the case at my not so young age (48). I have been quick to "attack" Uverse but these forum responses are helping me open up a little and realize there are some solutions out there. They are just going to be different and maybe not as ideal as the old Dish way, but they might work if I just discover them.

That's the issue...it's hard to discover some of them because things aren't so obvious with Uverse. I will continue to throw some odd topics up on the forums and hopefully get some advice and direction despite my tone at times. If I've reached an impasse, I can't just throw my remote.....and I'm learning these forums open my eyes to some options.

It's like my new door entry at my new condo. The key turns right to unlock and left to lock. At my old place for the last 7 years, it was the opposite. It is driving me CRAZY. I do a little cursing under my breath every time I get home and screw up the key turn. But there is nothing WRONG with it. I just have to learn a new habit and get my brain and fingers to forget the old way and instinctively operate the new way! I guess this Uverse is similar. I have to break myself of old happens and learn to do things differently. As long as the features are there....some are, some aren't.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I'm frustrated because there doesn't seem to be any way to input punctuation into title searches. For instance, if "there's" is in the title-I know of NO way to search for it. This is not hypothetical-it happened to me tonight.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

6 years ago

The search box doesn't care...at least about apostrophes.  I typed "theres" (no apostrophe) and it still found  "There's Something About Mary". 

I typed "whats" (no apostrophe) and it found "What's Happening!!", "What's Love got To Do With It?" and "What's My Car Worth" and quite a few others.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Well-that's Good. But-I attempted to find an episode title for "The Deuce-"There's an Art to This" and got NOWHERE. I finally found it by inputting the show title. (Maybe you can't search show titles??)

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

6 years ago

You cannot search using individual episode titles since the search is driven by the guide grid.

Also, don't waste your time typing the word "the".  Just type "deuce".  Use the most specific word in the title or in an actor's name.  I'm not going to type "George Clooney" if I'm searching for him.  Typing "clooney" will give a faster response.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.