For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
rcmcdonald91's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, June 14th, 2014 10:56 PM

Samsung TVs NO SIGNAL when using HDMI!?!?

So I recently upgraded to U450+HD and Max Plus internet. I have three Samsung TVs. Two of these TVs were purchaed after my initial U-Verse installation (about 4 years ago) so I just had coaxial between these TVs and the STBs (I didn't have HD service anyway, so the benefits of HDMI or component were not really all that apparent). These two TVs now have HDMI cables between themselves and their respective STBs. What I am experiencing is the TVs show "No Signal" and the only fix is to unplug the HDMI and plug them back in. It seems that something is causing the HDMI handshake procedure to fail. Any ideas how I can fix this, besides going out and purchasing component cables?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

rcmcdonald91 - component cables are a sure fix. One thing that you can try is to reverse the order of power up.

The default is STB first followed by TV. To change it - att/ok - 977-TV-att-enter. Or, separate the power sequence with att/ok-977-enter. Try different order and delay between the two. Press TV button power wait att button power or OK.

I believe there were some posts where people had success with a shorter HDMI cable. Still have to buy another cable, but less expensive at monoprice.com. But, not a guaranteed fix.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I will be trying these steps. But dang, this is why DRM sucks... It ONLY hurts those who are actually paying for content. So AT&T, It sickens me to search for the keywords "hdmi no signal" on these forums and see the outstanding number of people with issues like this. Seriously, fix this!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, I have. No firmware updates for these TVs

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I had the same problem with a Vizio TV. Worked great with Comcast and various DVD and Blu Ray players, but no signal every time the TV was turned off and on when connected to the U Verse Cisco STB. Unplugging the HDMI cable from the STB and plugging it back in usually restored the connection.
Here's what fixed my problem.
I used the shortest HDMI cable I could to connect the STB to the TV, in this case a 2' cable.
The 10' cable the technician used to connect the TV doesn't work, and neither did the better quality 6' cable I tried. The 2' cable works every time without a problem.
What does this mean?
The problem is probably that the HDMI output from the Cisco STB is lower than most other devices, and the Visio TV is probably pickier than some others about the quality of the HDMI signal it needs to lock on and display picture and sound. A shorter cable has less capacitance, which allows for a cleaner signal to reach the TV input. All of the cables tried worked fine when used in my other TV setup (an LG).
AND, the Vizio has worked fine with the Comcast STB and various other devices.
I tried all the other fixes I saw in these forums, to no avail.
The short cable fixes my problem, and may work for you as well.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.