dhascall's profile

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

Thursday, February 25th, 2010 8:28 PM

Re: Local Religions programming not available

TXGuy - The callsigns are in the OP's post. :smileytongue:

WDWO is actually WDWO-CA.  The CA suffix represents "Class A," a type of Low Power community TV station.  I'm not sure of the carriage rules (i.e. must carry) for -CA's and -LP's but in Indianapolis, UV carries WALV-LP, another type of Low Power station.  WLPC is WLPC-LP.  Wikipedia states that WDWO-CA is on Comcast but not Bright House.  They also mention WLPC-LP is on Comcast but do not mention any other.  You could potentially receive these stations over-the-air (OTA) but you may need a good antenna as WLPC is a very low power outfit and whilke WDWO has lots more power, their antenna is only 88 meters above the average terrain (HAAT) .  WDWO-CA is analog (NTSC) only but WLPC has an analog and Digital (DTV / ATSC) channels.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

14 years ago

I believe Class A and Low Power stations are not subject to must-carry.  If the stations wish to be carried on a distributor, they must negotiate a retransmission agreement.

They also were not required to cease NTSC broadcasting on 06/12/2009, and U-Verse may now have a technical hold-up with any NTSC stations since all other carried locals by U-Verse are now ATSC.

Guru

• 

940 Messages

14 years ago

Not to worry.  If God has a message for you Uverse will not stand in the way.

Scholar

• 

166 Messages

14 years ago

@Ubob wrote:

Not to worry.  If God has a message for you Uverse will not stand in the way.

:manvery-happy::robottongue::smileyvery-happy::womansurprised:

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

14 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

I believe Class A and Low Power stations are not subject to must-carry.  If the stations wish to be carried on a distributor, they must negotiate a retransmission agreement.

They also were not required to cease NTSC broadcasting on 06/12/2009, and U-Verse may now have a technical hold-up with any NTSC stations since all other carried locals by U-Verse are now ATSC.

Not in Indy, Joe.  WALV-CA (I actually said WALV-LP but it is apparently a Class A) is analog / NTSC and is carried on U-Verse.  It does have a digital counterpart but it is a WTHR subchannel and you know where we stand with UV and subchannels. :smileytongue:  In fact when the weather is bad, high winds and rain, WALV on U-Verse gets really snowy (another clue that it is analog).  Figures when you need "The Skytrack Weather Network" the most, it is hard to see.  :smileywink:

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

14 years ago

Ah, so they're actually carrying a class A station that's still NTSC.  Interesting.  Then that's the only class A station I know about that U-Verse is carrying.  If they are carrying any other CA/LP stations, they must be few and far between.  I don't believe any in the Houston area are carried.

Also interesting is that from your description, they must be getting the feed OTA at the local VHO.  In most cases, feeds are delivered via leased lines.

Scholar

• 

317 Messages

14 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Ah, so they're actually carrying a class A station that's still NTSC.  Interesting.  Then that's the only class A station I know about that U-Verse is carrying.  If they are carrying any other CA/LP stations, they must be few and far between.  I don't believe any in the Houston area are carried.

Also interesting is that from your description, they must be getting the feed OTA at the local VHO.  In most cases, feeds are delivered via leased lines.

Here in the Chicago DMA, we get WWME-CA (UV 23) and WMEU-CA (UV 48).  Both of these networks however are carried OTA as digital subchannels to UHF 26-1 WCIU-TV/DTV as well as on their own analog channels 23 and 48 repectively.  FWIW.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.