gcotton69's profile

Mentor

• 

83 Messages

Sunday, February 16th, 2014 9:18 PM

Question about the "Search" feature

I'm not sure if this has been discussed on here or not, but I have a crazy question/problem:

For some reason, whenever I do a search for a show, the guide will give me the showtime an hour behind where we live.  For example, this morning I searched for "Inside The Actor's Studio", and it listed the show as being on at 7pm, which I knew was wrong, because I was going off our weekly guide that came in the newspaper, which stated the show was on at 8pm.  Sure enough, when I went directly to the "Bravo" channel in the Guide, it is listed as being on at 8pm.

Is there a way to change the STB to make it know that I live in the Eastern time zone and not the Central??  I know this is a very small problem/issue, but my wife gets super frustrated with this at times.  It isn't something new either, as I have noticed it for the past few months. 

For what It's worth, we live in Columbus, OH.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

gcotton69 - I believe there are many posts on this problem. One poster claims to call in each month & get a refund based on the deficiency. I never noticed because I record everything. Set a recording on the selection & watch it when it is available.

Former Employee

• 

310 Messages

10 years ago

@gcotton69 wrote:

I'm not sure if this has been discussed on here or not, but I have a crazy question/problem:

For some reason, whenever I do a search for a show, the guide will give me the showtime an hour behind where we live.  For example, this morning I searched for "Inside The Actor's Studio", and it listed the show as being on at 7pm, which I knew was wrong, because I was going off our weekly guide that came in the newspaper, which stated the show was on at 8pm.  Sure enough, when I went directly to the "Bravo" channel in the Guide, it is listed as being on at 8pm.

Is there a way to change the STB to make it know that I live in the Eastern time zone and not the Central??  I know this is a very small problem/issue, but my wife gets super frustrated with this at times.  It isn't something new either, as I have noticed it for the past few months. 

This is a known issue and we are working on it:

The MDS servers are located in the central time zone.  This issue impacts those that are not in the central time zone.   The time displayed on the search results page for a series program is MDS central time- so if the STB is not located in the central time zone this issue will be present.  The program info page for that result will show the right time.  Again the GUIDE times are correct and this should not impact recording etc. 

Hope this helps.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

10 years ago

@Fox Mulder wrote:

@gcotton69 wrote:

The MDS servers are located in the central time zone.  This issue impacts those that are not in the central time zone.   The time displayed on the search results page for a series program is MDS central time- so if the STB is not located in the central time zone this issue will be present.  The program info page for that result will show the right time.  Again the GUIDE times are correct and this should not impact recording etc. 

Hope this helps.

With utmost respect, it seems like the issue first came up about a year ago. I would think that the engineers at AT&T would have had a fix 2-3 months later, especially considering the old software didn't even have this bug.

To say "we're working on a fix" a year-ish later is beyond aggravating as a customer.

Former Employee

• 

310 Messages

10 years ago

@baseballisback wrote:

@Fox Mulder wrote:

@gcotton69 wrote:

Hope this helps.

With utmost respect, it seems like the issue first came up about a year ago. I would think that the engineers at AT&T would have had a fix 2-3 months later, especially considering the old software didn't even have this bug.

To say "we're working on a fix" a year-ish later is beyond aggravating as a customer.

I can't give you exact details on why this is taking so long. I was offering an explanation to the OP. The "simple fix" that seems so simple to everyone is not that simple. But there are a lot of programmers who will now respond with how fast they could do it and how fast their company would have handled it if it were their company. At the end of the day, the times are correct in the Guide, and will record correctly. That is the important thing here, keep that in mind.

I'm sorry you are so aggraviated by this. I personally never use the search to schedule recordings, I use the Guide.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

10 years ago

@Fox Mulder wrote:

@baseballisback wrote:

@Fox Mulder wrote:

@gcotton69 wrote:

Hope this helps.

I can't give you exact details on why this is taking so long. I was offering an explanation to the OP. The "simple fix" that seems so simple to everyone is not that simple. But there are a lot of programmers who will now respond with how fast they could do it and how fast their company would have handled it if it were their company. At the end of the day, the times are correct in the Guide, and will record correctly. That is the important thing here, keep that in mind.

I'm sorry you are so aggraviated by this. I personally never use the search to schedule recordings, I use the Guide.

You're right on the "all the programmers" bit. There are companies who would say they would do it fast, but I'd rather have it done right...and who knows, they could be implementing the fix as part of something else, as I surmised in the other thread.

I do use the search Smiley Happy ...if the DVR is too full to record a movie, I'll look for the latest possible time the movie is airing and will reschedule it. I also prefer to record shows individually instead of the series pass...I'd like to be able to search for a show and record all airings at a certain time individually...just go down the list and hit "rec" for each show...instead, I get the "cannot be recorded" or whatever it is message.

Former Employee

• 

310 Messages

10 years ago

Hope you didn't take my post as snarky, it wasn't meant that way, but it kinda read back that way, sorry.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

If it were one or trwo folks writing in a year, it would not be an issue but when you get two or more questioning it a week, it seems to be a bit beyond an annoyance.

One thing that I've read is the folks who don't have a U-Verse DVR.  If they use a TiVo or heaven forbid, a VCR, their search results are going to result in times being off.  Why not a simple screen insert that says "search results are based upon Central Time," "we know this is going on" or something.  I don't know how many calls are generated to CS but that would be like some sort of "prevent defense."  I use the search function at least 3x a week.   I know about the deficiency and I still do a double take when I see something that appears to be off.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

@Fox Mulder wrote:

Then fix it already.  

It is infuriating.  I just want to know what time the game is on.  So I search for it.  The guide says "11am".  But no, it is on at 9am.  Ridiculous.  

FIX IT!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.