TheKingfish's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Monday, March 10th, 2014 12:41 PM

Prospects for Streaming to TV

Lots of buzz about streaming these days, so thought I would check in to understand what my latest how-to capability looks like.  I am a U-verse subscriber and own a 2012 Smart TV from Samsung.  That TV is linked directly to the Internet via Ethernet cable (8 Mbps download).  It has a number of apps and a browser; I believe I can download additional apps as needed.

I’m a novice in this area and wonder what free stuff can conveniently be had (network channels, etc.).  I’m not real keen on paying AT&T more bucks, but have an open ear to what is available.  So going forward, is there a specific app or best method for me?  Again, I am just looking for some basic direction/advice and appreciate your time and input.

Thank you,

TheKingfish

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

Aviewer,

I appreciate your feedback.  The concept of linking the laptop to the TV screen skirts the issue of my clunky built-in browser.  Seems like it would make browsing and selective streaming rather easy.  I will try it with whatever hardware it takes.  Thanks once again.

I will also mention here, Consumer Reports (March) has a very comprehensive write-up on the subject of streaming and all things associated (numerous topics).  It’s enough to generally put you on the right track; an FYI for those needing to fill in some of the nuanced A/V technology gaps.

Thanks,

TheKingfish

Scholar

• 

86 Messages

10 years ago

One statement you made is you do not want to pay AT&T for streaming.  You are not paying AT&T but you are paying the service provider for streaming their content.  The only exception is premium content like HBO go where you have to subscribe to HBO through your internet provider in order to receive HBO go.  Same with Showtime Anytime which roku just added.  Hopefully Samsung won't be far behind.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

Read a cool piece today, in Bloomberg Business on Comcast.  Comcast has seen the writing on the wall and knows that the days of cable TV being the sole provider of TV, are waning.  Basically Comcast is splitting its efforts into thirds.  One third cable TV, one third content and one third HSIE.

On a side note, we;ve all heard how clunky the new, revolutionary X1 platform is.  Comcast has 1000 engineers working on X1, alone.  Wow!   Maybe AT&T should have one or two, working on the "More showtimes" Central time zone issue, lol.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.