streittk's profile

Mentor

• 

18 Messages

Tuesday, March 1st, 2011 7:56 PM

Closed

Press OK to watch U-Verse TV?

This has probably been answered a number of times, but forgive me, I haven't been able to find it. 

When I power up my TV, I get an annoying screen that says to press OK to watch TV.  I mean, I pressed the power button on the remote because I want to watch TV, so why am I being asked if I want to watch TV?  To me, watching U-Verse (on the last channel viewed) should be the default.

Kevin

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

18 Messages

13 years ago

Wait.  I think I see what's happening.  I'm probably using the wrong remote?  All this time (~2 months) I've been powering off the TVs with the TV remotes and leaving the U-verse boxes on.   So, this "Press OK" screen must come on like a screen saver after turning off the TV.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

24 Messages

13 years ago

When I power up my TV, I get an annoying screen that says to press OK to watch TVWhen I power up my TV, I get an annoying screen that says to press OK to watch TV

Like Texas notes, if you keep the remote set to AT&T (instead of TV) and press power then your U-verse STB and your TV will both power on. As such, you won't have to press power for the TV and then OK for the STB.

Likewise when you are watching TV and decide to turn it off pressing power will power off your TV and set the STB into a sort of sleep mode, which is what the bouncing Press OK to Watch U-Verse is ...

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

24 Messages

13 years ago

You got it ... The Press OK comes on after 4 hours of in activity (channel changes, info, guide, etc.) in the U-verse STB ...

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

When you press the POWER button on the U-verse remote, both your TV and U-verse DVR/STB should be turned on.  There should be no need to press OK to watch TV.

Please press the AT&T button on your remote, you may also need to change the batteries in your remote.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

streittk wrote:

Wait.  I think I see what's happening.  I'm probably using the wrong remote?  All this time (~2 months) I've been powering off the TVs with the TV remotes and leaving the U-verse boxes on.   So, this "Press OK" screen must come on like a screen saver after turning of the TV.

You should be able to use the U-verse remote to power on and off both your TV and the U-verse DVR/STB.  You should not need to use your TV remote to operate your TV.

Mentor

• 

18 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for the replies.  It all makes sense now.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

@Woof_1 wrote:

You got it ... The Press OK comes on after 4 hours of in activity (channel changes, info, guide, etc.) in the U-verse STB ...

Actually its after 8 hours of inactivity.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

Actually, per the U-verse support site it's 6 hours:

Your AT&T U-verse receiver will turn off automatically, after six hours of inactivity, to conserve energy.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401271#fbid=gDKYg85zB9H

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

I understand that but every night I turn off my tv and leave my stb on so that I can catch a news program within an hour after the program begins.  I turn the tv off at midnight and I push the info button.  At 7:45am I getup turn the tv on and the stb has not gone into standby mode.  So let's just say anywhere from 6 to 8 hours.  Just a thought.Smiley Wink

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

I had an odd instance a month ago where the bedroom STB stayed on for 24 hrs., like in the old days--weird (but not for this house!).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.