NormChar's profile

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

Wednesday, May 7th, 2014 2:55 AM

Possible Smithsonian channel move?

Just out of curiousity, what would take for AT&T to consider moving a channel in the channel lineup?  Currently the Smithsonian channel is 118 and 1118.  I enjoy the channel.  I also enjoy the History channel, NGC and the Sci channel.  The latter channels are around the 1250 block in the lineup.  It seems to me that the Smithsonian channel fits into similar programming as those channels.  Why not move it to 250/1250?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

310 Messages

10 years ago

ALL: Tuner positions are determined by the content provider and is contractual. They are where they are, because the stations wanted them there. U-Verse does not just decide to move around channels for fun, it's a lot of work and costly.

Hope this helps

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

If we're moving channels, might as well move Discovery channel to that block as well. It's on 120/1120.

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

While we're at it I have always thought that HDNet Movies and MGM HD would fit nicely in the upper 1700s with FXM IFC Sundance TCM and the Sony Movie Channel.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@Fox Mulder wrote:

ALL: Tuner positions are determined by the content provider and is contractual. They are where they are, because the stations wanted them there. U-Verse does not just decide to move around channels for fun, it's a lot of work and costly.

Hope this helps

We don't have tuners.  Smiley Tongue Smiley Very Happy

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

10 years ago

@Fox Mulder wrote:

Hope this helps

Thanks.  That very well may be true.  But I would be curious if AT&T makes a suggestion to the content provider.  I know for me, I enjoy the Smithsonian channel, but I sometimes forget that it's an option because of its position in the lineup.  Or, sometimes I'm just too lazy to luck for it.

I'd think that would be feedback that the content provider would appreciate.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

10 years ago

@oufanindallas wrote:

If we're moving channels, might as well move Discovery channel to that block as well. It's on 120/1120.

Agreed!!!

Former Employee

• 

310 Messages

10 years ago

@dhascall wrote:

@Fox Mulder wrote:

Hope this helps

We don't have tuners.  Smiley Tongue Smiley Very Happy

LOL!!!!! It sounds better than channel numbers!

Former Employee

• 

310 Messages

10 years ago

@NormChar wrote:

@Fox Mulder wrote:

Hope this helps

Thanks.  That very well may be true.  But I would be curious if AT&T makes a suggestion to the content provider.  I know for me, I enjoy the Smithsonian channel, but I sometimes forget that it's an option because of its position in the lineup.  Or, sometimes I'm just too lazy to luck for it.

I'd think that would be feedback that the content provider would appreciate.

Norm,

The content providers may consider a change if it comes from the customers. Why don't you send them an e mail and suggest that?

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

10 years ago

@Anonymous wrote:

While we're at it I have always thought that HDNet Movies and MGM HD would fit nicely in the upper 1700s with FXM IFC Sundance TCM and the Sony Movie Channel.

I'm guessing that HDNet Movies is where it is because it's owned (is it still?)...either way, it USED to be owned by the same company that owned HDNet, now known as AXS.

All: Someone once told me that channel providers also negotiate for the spots on the lineup (in addition to tier and price.) Sometimes, they'll even pay the providers for better spots...hence, part of the reason why ESPN is 1602 and NBCSN is "buried" at 1640 and others are 1643 or 1634...

The above may or may not still be true, especially as how easy it is now to search for a channel or show by typing it into the on-screen guide.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

10 years ago

@Anonymous wrote:

I totally agree with your suggestion.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.