NormChar's profile

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

Wednesday, May 7th, 2014 2:55 AM

Possible Smithsonian channel move?

Just out of curiousity, what would take for AT&T to consider moving a channel in the channel lineup?  Currently the Smithsonian channel is 118 and 1118.  I enjoy the channel.  I also enjoy the History channel, NGC and the Sci channel.  The latter channels are around the 1250 block in the lineup.  It seems to me that the Smithsonian channel fits into similar programming as those channels.  Why not move it to 250/1250?

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

@baseballisback wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While we're at it I have always thought that HDNet Movies and MGM HD would fit nicely in the upper 1700s with FXM IFC Sundance TCM and the Sony Movie Channel.

I'm guessing that HDNet Movies is where it is because it's owned (is it still?)...either way, it USED to be owned by the same company that owned HDNet, now known as AXS.

All: Someone once told me that channel providers also negotiate for the spots on the lineup (in addition to tier and price.) Sometimes, they'll even pay the providers for better spots...hence, part of the reason why ESPN is 1602 and NBCSN is "buried" at 1640 and others are 1643 or 1634...

The above may or may not still be true, especially as how easy it is now to search for a channel or show by typing it into the on-screen guide.

HD Net Movies and Axs TV are still owned by Mark Cuban owner of the Dallas Mavericks.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

10 years ago

@Fox Mulder wrote:

@NormChar wrote:

@Fox Mulder wrote:

ALL: Tuner positions are determined by the content provider and is contractual. They are where they are, because the stations wanted them there. U-Verse does not just decide to move around channels for fun, it's a lot of work and costly.

Hope this helps

Thanks.  That very well may be true.  But I would be curious if AT&T makes a suggestion to the content provider.  I know for me, I enjoy the Smithsonian channel, but I sometimes forget that it's an option because of its position in the lineup.  Or, sometimes I'm just too lazy to luck for it.

I'd think that would be feedback that the content provider would appreciate.

Norm,

The content providers may consider a change if it comes from the customers. Why don't you send them an e mail and suggest that?

Well...that wasn't very productive.  But I guess I'm not surprised.  AT&T tells me it's the content provider's decision.  Smithsonian tells me it's at the distributor's discretion.  Smiley Frustrated  Below is the short response that I got from Smithsonian.

...........................................................................................................................................................

Hello NormChar,

The placement of our channel is at the discretion of our distributor partners.  We appreciate your enthusiasm for Smithsonian Channel!

Sincerely,

Smithsonian Networks Customer Service

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

Norm: I'm sure that in some cases, the channel dictates or negotiates where the channel is at.  To ensure that your request reaches a manager at AT&T, I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.  They may not be able to move mountains but that way your suggestion would be heard at a higher level.

If you ask me (and I know that you didn't, lol), I think that 118/1118 is a good fit given DSC at 120/1120.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

10 years ago

@Anonymous wrote:

@baseballisback wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While we're at it I have always thought that HDNet Movies and MGM HD would fit nicely in the upper 1700s with FXM IFC Sundance TCM and the Sony Movie Channel.

I'm guessing that HDNet Movies is where it is because it's owned (is it still?)...either way, it USED to be owned by the same company that owned HDNet, now known as AXS.

All: Someone once told me that channel providers also negotiate for the spots on the lineup (in addition to tier and price.) Sometimes, they'll even pay the providers for better spots...hence, part of the reason why ESPN is 1602 and NBCSN is "buried" at 1640 and others are 1643 or 1634...

The above may or may not still be true, especially as how easy it is now to search for a channel or show by typing it into the on-screen guide.

HD Net Movies and Axs TV are still owned by Mark Cuban owner of the Dallas Mavericks.

Not entirely true, as I thought. Cuban still owns part:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AXS_TV#Purchase_and_conversion_to_AXS_TV

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks dhascall.  I'll try that route too.

I hear you about it being a good fit at 1118 because of proximity to DSC at 1120.  But that's just one channel.  The other block,1250-1270, has about 10 comparable channels.  As someone else posted, in an ideal world, move DSC too!

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@NormChar wrote:

Thanks dhascall.  I'll try that route too.

I hear you about it being a good fit at 1118 because of proximity to DSC at 1120.  But that's just one channel.  The other block,1250-1270, has about 10 comparable channels.  As someone else posted, in an ideal world, move DSC too!

I think that the real issue is that U-Verse has "general interest:" channels in the 100, 200 and 400 channel range.  They could really shrink that down to just two, one hundred channel blocks but there are too many to squeeze into one, one hundred block.  That being said, I like UV's channel schema better than Comcast's, throw them anywhere mentality.  The DIY multiviewwould be the best way of keeping them together.

Scholar

• 

155 Messages

10 years ago

I suspect there's something going on between cable operator and cable programmer for some of the moves that have been made by AT&T U-verse as discussed from this topic.

I certainly don't know anything specific. But these efforts shows.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@LoveHD wrote:

I suspect there's something going on between cable operator and cable programmer for some of the moves that have been made by AT&T U-verse as discussed from this topic.

I certainly don't know anything specific. But these efforts shows.

I'm sure that is correct.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

10 years ago

Update on the inquiry.  I sent a message to Customer Support, as Dhascall suggested.  I got a very nice response from a Social Media Manager.  A possibly encouraging response at that.  He said he liked the suggestion and that it seems like a no brainer.  He also said that he would definitely refer the suggestion up to see if gets any traction.  

It all could just be lip service, but we shall see.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

10 years ago

Why was this topic marked as solved?  The "accepted solution" is in direct contrast from the information that I received from the content provider.  More importantly, the channel hasn't changed locations as of yet.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.