rooinek's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, March 6th, 2013 5:48 AM

Poor TV picture, how do I fix it?

Today I had U-verse installed. The technician was superb and helpful. The Internet speed seems much faster that my DSL. The phone seems normal. The trouble is the TV picture is bad, out of focus like watching a twenty year old worn out TV not the nice sharp picture I had on all channels using an antenna on my roof. What is going on?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

Still, the question remains how your TV is connected to the STB.  Even if you're only subscribing to SD, I would recommend not using Coax to connect the STB to the TV; at least use composite.

I only get SD channels as well, however, on my HD set, I connected it using component cable and configured the STB to the same aspect ratio as the TV.  This gives me wider menus screens that are razor sharp.  The wider scheduling grid gives me another half hour into the future. The TV picture is about the same as when the aspect ratio is 4:3, but I have the option to zoom the picture (erasing some of the black bars on the side at the cost of a sliver on the top and bottom).

U-verse is much better than most cable companies at SD signal quality.  However, note that off-air digital signals are now normally HD, so expecting the SD U-verse signal to compare favorably is a stretch. 

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Did you subscribe to HD?  If so how is your TV connected to the Uverse box?  HDMI cable?  Are you watching the channels in the 1000 range?  If you have HD the blue light will be lit on the front on the box.  You can also check what screen resolution the box is set at by doing this: menu>options>system settings>aspect ratio>choose aspect ratio> start test>keep setting.  For HD you will need to choose 720P or 1080i depending on your TV.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

No, I did not subscribe to HD. That said I did not expect picture quality to be so obviously degraded compared with standard broadcast TV. Frankly I am disappointed. The odd thing is that on my second TV that is an old analog unit the picture is marginally better. The 32-inch digital is now irritating to watch - slightly fuzzy or out of focus like I forgot to put my glasses on.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Hopefully, the information that beebeesa and jeffermc provided helps improve it.

If the TV is an HD TV, I would suggest doing what jeffermc suggested. Before I purchased HD viewing at my house, I did the same thing by connecting the TV with HD cables and setting the picture to stretch.

In order to turn on that setting, you must be connected with an HD cable.

Then you must change the settings on the STB to match your TV set. Here is an article that can help with that:

Adjusting your TV Picture

Former Employee

• 

120 Messages

11 years ago

You may be using a coaxial cable between the TV and the receiver.

If you are, make sure that the TV is on TV/Cable/Antenna mode. And when you've made sure of that, try switching between channels 3-11 to get the best picture quality.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.