mustraline's profile

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Thursday, May 26th, 2011 10:29 PM

Play station 3 installation

I am having a bit of a problem replacing my old DVD with the play station 3 blue ray.  Where does the blue ray connect with the DVR? Is it through the 3-wire (red, yellow, white) from the blue ray to the back of the DVR? The instructions say to connect directly to the back of the TV.  

Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.  Thanks

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

13 years ago

<<<<>>>>

Yes.

<<<<<  You also have a sepearte sound system (receiver)? is this between the playstation and the TV or after the TV?>>>>

Before or after, I am not understanding this.  It is connected to the DVR (I have U-verse).  When I use the remote and request the TV or  the DVD, the receiver goes to the DVD sound setting.  It provides good sound for the TV. It seems the receiver works OK.

<<<<>>>

My TV does not have the 3 separate outlets (red, white, and yellow).  There are 2 (red and white). 

<<<<<  Is there any special activation on the playstation for HDMI?>>>>>>>>>>

There is a HDMI outlet at the back of the play station.  I have the option to use either the 3-wire (white, red, and yellow) or a HDML connection.  Since I do not have enough outlets at the back of my TV, I bought a HDML cable.

<<<>>>

The Playstation is green when it is started.  When I connect the game controller via a USB port, there are 5 LED lights on the controller.  They blink for about 20 seconds.  Each light is numbered #1 to #5.  The controller is used to finalize the play station . There should be a screen which enables the finalization, according to the directions.  I believe that as each phase of the finalization is completed, another of those lights goes on.  Part of that is to have the game controller go wireless.

I hope I am a little clearer.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

I looked at the playstation manual & it talks about holding a button down when changing cables. I have not been able to copy/paste the statement. Here is the link. It is on an earky page right affter the table of connections.

http://www.playstation.com/manual/pdf/CECHP01-2.40_2.pdf

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

I also see forums under community on the support page they may be more heelpful on  playstation problems -

http://us.playstation.com/support/

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

I got the statement by saving the pdf -

If you change the type of cable used to connect the system, video may not be displayed. If this happens, turn off the system and then turn it on again by touching the power button on the system front for at least five seconds (until the system beeps twice). The video output setting will then be reset to the standard resolution.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

13 years ago

<<<<<<>>>>>>>>

I also saw that, and tried the cycle.  The system began and beeped just once before going into the shut down cycle.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks.  I will, of course, keep everyone posted.  I am just blown away by the support here.  Thank you all.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

13 years ago

That site was very helpful, but it did not fix the problem.

I had to sit and think about what was going on BEFORE I purchased the playstation.  I had previously lost the screen on HDMI #2 which was the screen to watch DVD's.  The screen showed a 'No Signal' .  I had good sound, but no visible screen.

I notified U-verse and told them of my problem, thinking that the DVR was the problem.  The tech said that the DVR is either good or bad, and since I had good TV and sound, the DVR was not the problem.  He then suggested that perhaps I had a TV problem.  I said that the TV was less than 2 years old. I asked if the DVD could be the problem, and he said that yes, it could very well be the problem.

I dismissed the TV as a potential problem, and bought the play station, which is acting in the same way that the DVD was.

I have upgraded cables, switched them, and went through the start-up procedure explained in the above link.

It is still under warrantee, so I will have Best Buy check it out.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Guess I was thinking too optimistic - I thought your swapping HDMI1 & HDMI2 that the DVR worked on both and the playstation worked on niether. Which identified the playstation as the problem.

But, it now sounds like HDMI2 does not work on the DVR. Therefore, it is faulty. But, the playstation does not work on either 1 or 2. So, there is another problem with that.

I think, there were reports that DVRs did not work on some HDMI inputs. The solution was use another input. No suggestion that the TV was faulty.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

13 years ago

It was the REMOTE.  I went to JustAnswers and the tech walked me through everything.  He said to change the remote to the U-verse remote and the TV remote. Took over 2 hours, but the PS3 is working and the TV is working. 

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

13 years ago

It was the REMOTE.  PS3 works when I use the U-verse remote.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.