mustraline's profile

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Thursday, May 26th, 2011 10:29 PM

Play station 3 installation

I am having a bit of a problem replacing my old DVD with the play station 3 blue ray.  Where does the blue ray connect with the DVR? Is it through the 3-wire (red, yellow, white) from the blue ray to the back of the DVR? The instructions say to connect directly to the back of the TV.  

Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.  Thanks

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

13 years ago

Forgot to answer the last part.  I am replacing the DVD with the blue ray part of the play station.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

I mixed up dvr and DVD on my last post.

You can have both HDMI and component(RGB & R/W) from the u-verse DVR to the TV. Or, you can have just one of the two.

the Yellow/red/white from the bkue ray goes to another set of jacks on the TV.

I cannot look up a user guide for the TV without a model number.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

Here is how you can hook up that tv.

1.  Connect the component cables (red, green, and blue cables) along with the red and white audio cables to one input.

2.  Connect the PS3 using the composite cable (yellow cable) with the red and white audio cables into another input

3.  Connect the bluray player using composite cable and red and white audio cables into another input if you have one.

Do you have the cables to follow these instructions.

Guru

• 

363 Messages

13 years ago

If I understand this right, you want to be able to use the PS3 to play PS3 games, Blu-Ray movies, and DVD movies, so all you want to connect is the PS3 and the U-verse DVR, right?

First, throw out the PS3 composite (Yellow/Red/White) cable, it only supports 480i (SD), and will not support the HD resolutions of 720p, 1080i, or 1080p (you can save the composite cable for whenever you plan to use the PS3 on a TV that is not HD)

Connect the U-verse DVR to the TV with either a Component (Red/Green/Blue+Red/White) or HDMI cable (it doesn't matter which), having both connected won't hurt anything, but will be redundant, then make sure you have the DVR set for either 720p or 1080i

Connect the PS3 to the TV with either a PS3 Component or HDMI cable, It is preferred that you use an HDMI cable as Component cables don't support HDCP and therefore won't support 1080p like HDMI will, also using an HDMI cable will allow the PS3 to automatically choose the best resolution for your TV, so you will not have to select it manually (a message will come up saying what resolution it found and asks if it's ok)

Scholar

• 

179 Messages

13 years ago

@RCSMG wrote:

Here is how you can hook up that tv.

1.  Connect the component cables (red, green, and blue cables) along with the red and white audio cables to one input.

2.  Connect the PS3 using the composite cable (yellow cable) with the red and white audio cables into another input

3.  Connect the bluray player using composite cable and red and white audio cables into another input if you have one.

Do you have the cables to follow these instructions.

Don't forget you will have to use the TV's remote control to switch between the inputs to view the connected devices. Make sure to turn the desired device on then using the TV's remote select the proper input for the desired device to be viewed.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

13 years ago

OK.  Last evening I flat ran out of steam, and called it a night.  I ran errands this morning and bought a HDMI cable.  Here is what my set up looks like.  From the DVR to the TV, I have a HDMI cable, which I always had.  I removed the red, white, and yellow connection from the TV to the blue ray.  I also removed the red, green, and  blue connections from the DVR to the TV. I took the new HDMI cable, attached it to the back of the blue ray, and ran it to HDMI #2 outlet at the back of the TV.  The DVR to the TV is currently in HDMI #1 outlet behind the TV.  

Currently HDMI #1 works and I get good TV with sound.  However, when I use the remote to go to play a DVD on HDMI #2, I now get "no signal" on the TV. That is an improvement, as previously, I got nothing on the TV.  

I should say that I have a Logitech remote and not the U-verse remote.  

The game controller came alive when I pushed the PS button, but it is flashing at the #1 position. 

Any thoughts?  Do I have a TV problem?  I will invert the HDMI cables on the back of the TV and see what happens.

Thanks so much for all of your very thoughtful suggestions and recommendations.  I will keep you posted on what happened when I switched the HDMI cables

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Good idea to swap the two HDMI inputs, but it is probably on the DVD side. Is the DVD on?

Do you have the logitech set to different activities - watch TV  - watch DVD. Is watch DVD supposed to turn on DVD and TV and set TV to HDMI2. IF you have this "automatic" case it could be a matter of timing. Make sure everything is turned on.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

13 years ago

OK.  I reversed the HDMI cables at the back of the TV, and did it did not change the no signal. Right now I have good TV from HDMI #1.  The Play station is on at all times. I continue to get a "no signal" from the TV.  I shut everything down, including manually shutting down the play station.  I turned the TV back on, asking to watch DVD.  The DVR is out of the loop and did not respond, however the audio started right up and switched to DVD. I turned the play station on, and pushed the PS button on the game controller, which is attached to the play station. All of the small LED lights blinked on for several seconds, and then went to the #1 LED, which continued to blink for about 15 seconds.  It is now a steady red.

Right now, I can easily switch back and forth between HDMI #1 and HDMI #2.  The TV on HDMI #1 works fine with good sound and picture.  The DVR is working also, and the status lights are all on. When I switch to HDMI #2, the audio receiver automatically goes to DVD, the DVR shuts down, and the screen on the TV reads "no signal".  The play station does not shut down when switching between HDMI #1 and HDMI #2.  

I can do another easy thing.  I DO know that the HDMI #1 cable is good.  I am assuming that the newly purchased HDMI cable for the play station and the back of the TV is good.  I will check out by completely switching those cables.  If the switch remains good and I get good TV with the new cable, I know it is working.  

I will keep you posted.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

13 years ago

OK.  I switched the cables from the DVR and the play station so that the new HDMI cable is now giving TV with no problems. The cable that is attached  to the play station is now hooked up to the HDMI #2 outlet for DVD.  When I switch back and forth, the audio receiver switched to DVD, but there is "no signal" on the TV. The Play station stays on all the time, but I think that may be because it has not integrated with the system. 

Any suggestions?  I may have a defective play station OR I may have a problem with the TV. What are the odds of a defective play station?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Odds do not really matter. The question is what works for you.

I have to admiit I can not keep track of you equipment.

I believe the playstation and the blue ray DVD player are the same thing. You also have a sepearte sound system (receiver)? is this between the playstation and the TV or after the TV?

I think you need to find a way to connect (not HDMI) the playstation direct to the TV to see if you can get it to work..

Is there any special activation on the playstation for HDMI?

When you said the playstation had a solid red light - Is red bad or good? Should it be green?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.