mustraline's profile

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Thursday, May 26th, 2011 10:29 PM

Play station 3 installation

I am having a bit of a problem replacing my old DVD with the play station 3 blue ray.  Where does the blue ray connect with the DVR? Is it through the 3-wire (red, yellow, white) from the blue ray to the back of the DVR? The instructions say to connect directly to the back of the TV.  

Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.  Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Yes, to watch blue ray player it is connected to an input on the TV. U-verse STBs do not have any inputs.

If your blue-ray has record capability, then you could connect an output from the STB to the blue-ray.

Hope your TV has multiple inputs.

If you do not have HD & your TV fas only one three wire set of jacks, connect the blue ray there. Connect the U-verse STB via coax & set the TV on channel 3.

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you so much.  I do have several outlets on the back of my TV.  I had just assumed that the blue ray would go through the DVR as my old DVD did. Thanks again, and I will let you know how I did.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

YW

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

13 years ago

I hooked up the blue ray, according to the instructions.  Does the TV have to be off to continue with the installation?  I am going to try that.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

No.  You will need the tv on to locate that input.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

13 years ago

Yes, I think I have a connection problem.  I have a USB connection from the DVR to the TV.  I have a green, blue, and red wires that go from the DVR to the TV.  Those are the connections from the DVR to the TV.  Now, the blue ray has a red, yellow, and white set of wires coming out of the blue ray to the TV.  Now here is where my problem may be.  With the 3 lines from the DVR to the TV and the UBS connection from the DVR to the TV, I now have only the red and white wire connections.  

I have the yellow that is not hooked up. To get the picture and sound, the ubs and the 3 wires from the DVR must be in the same row.  If not I get a no signal on the TV.  It looks as if I am an outlet short.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

When you talk about the UBS connection are you talking about the HDMI connection?  If you are using the hdmi connection  you won't need the audio cables.  If you are using the red, green, and blue rca cables running from the stb to the tv you don't need the hdmi connection.  And vice versa.  The red, green, and blue cables are the component cables and you will need to plug the red and white audio cables into the input that you have those cables connected.

@mustraline wrote:

Yes, I think I have a connection problem.  I have a USB connection from the DVR to the TV.  I have a green, blue, and red wires that go from the DVR to the TV.  Those are the connections from the DVR to the TV.  Now, the blue ray has a red, yellow, and white set of wires coming out of the blue ray to the TV.  Now here is where my problem may be.  With the 3 lines from the DVR to the TV and the UBS connection from the DVR to the TV, I now have only the red and white wire connections.  

I have the yellow that is not hooked up. To get the picture and sound, the ubs and the 3 wires from the DVR must be in the same row.  If not I get a no signal on the TV.  It looks as if I am an outlet short.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

13 years ago

Yes, I am referring to the HDMI connection. Yes, I am using the red, green, and blue RCA cables from the DVR to the  TV. Do I have a redundant line? 

OK, here is what I am going to do.  It sounds like the red green and blue cables are needed.  I will disconnect the HDMI cable and see what happens. And then I will disconnect the red green and blue cables and see what happens.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

Please post your TV, dvd  & blue ray make and model so I can look the manual to help.

The blue ray and dvd connections you describe are different.

The dvd green blue red are all video also called component or RGB. You also need red/white for sound.

The blue ray yellow is video, also called composite. red/white is sound.

I have seen some TVs (Samsung?) where the jacks were mixed together - you could connect all three video or just the yellow in one of the three. Very confusing.

Are you trying to connect the DVD, blue ray and u-verse STB all at the same time? I thought you were replacing the dvd with the blue ray.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

13 years ago

The TV is an LG.  The Blue ray is part of the play station 3 game group.  I took out the DVD so it is no longer used.  There was a coaxial cable for the DVD that no longer is being used.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.