Neubs's profile

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

Friday, June 14th, 2019 5:53 AM

Picture too large for screen, crops out parts of words on side and bottom

I have a Samsung 65-inch LED TV (NU8000) that I bought just a few months ago. The picture I see is slightly too large for the screen, cropping out parts of words on the sides and bottom. Resolution is set at 1080, and I've tested it using Uverse remote (Menu to Options to TV Screen Resolution to a test), and the test indicates this is correct. I've also used the remote's Zoom function and ensured it is at Normal. None of this helps with the problem. Looking in the Samsung manual for recommendations, I've ensured that the picture size is 16:9 Standard, with Fit to Screen turned On, as it should be. What else might I do to resolve this irritating problem?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

It's hard to tell from your description when say "Resolution is set at 1080".  Whose resolution?  Did you set the dvr/receiver's screen resolution to 1080i?  On the uverse remote press menu -> options -> system -> tv screen resolution and make sure it's set to (for your particular model) 1080i.

Are you actually watching the hd channels (uverse channel numbers >= 1000)?

There's not a lot of variables to play with here.  You have the uverse's zoom (which you generally always want to set to normal).  Then you have the tv's own zoom and resolution settings.  I do not recommend stretching the picture to fit the tv.  Play it as it is intended to be seen.  If that means black bands at the left/right (4 x 3 on a 16 x 9 screen) or all around (16 x 9 video shown on a SD channel), or top/bottom (HD video with a different aspect ratio like many movies) then so be it. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

5 years ago

As @_xyzzy_  alluded to, you have 2 SEPARATE aspect/zoom controls...one for the TV itself (using TV remote) and one on the UVERSE receiver (using Uverse remote).  You'll want both set to 1080i and most likely "normal" on the zoom setting.

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for your comments, xyzzy. I have followed through with your recommendations, and so far it looks like words on side and bottom of screen won't be cropped out anymore on my Samsung LED TV.

You asked about my noting 1080i resolution. That refers to HD, and I set it via the Uverse remote (Options, to System, to TV Screen Resolution, to 1080i high definition). Also did the hi def test there and it was successful. (Actually, I've been watching HD channels (1000 and up) all along, but with the aforementioned issue of words bleeding off edges of the TV screen. Zoom option set at Normal on the Uverse remote, instead of Stretch or Zoom 1, 2 or 3.

With the Samsung remote, I chose Natural as best the Picture Mode for my taste. For Picture Size Settings, I chose Custom. For Fit to Screen, I changed it from On to Off, per your input, so picture won't be stretched. 

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for your input as well, skeeterintexas. Also helpful.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

You asked about my noting 1080i resolution. That refers to HD, and I set it via the Uverse remote (Options, to System, to TV Screen Resolution, to 1080i high definition). Also did the hi def test there and it was successful. (Actually, I've been watching HD channels (1000 and up) all along, but with the aforementioned issue of words bleeding off edges of the TV screen. Zoom option set at Normal on the Uverse remote, instead of Stretch or Zoom 1, 2 or 3.

The 1080i in the uverse setting doesn't really refer to HD, well it does but not for this function.  It refers to the capability of the tv you are connecting the dvr/receiver to.  It's an HD tv and while the tv probably supports 1080p and for possibly even UHD, 1080i is the best you can set in the dvr/receiver leaving up to the tv to display on your screen appropriately.

If the dvr/receiver is/was set to 1080i and the zoom normal, then if it still looks stretched or chopped or otherwise weird it's the tv's zoom (and possibly resolution) that need twiddling.

With the Samsung remote, I chose Natural as best the Picture Mode for my taste. For Picture Size Settings, I chose Custom. For Fit to Screen, I changed it from On to Off, per your input, so picture won't be stretched. 

It seems every manufacturer uses different terminology for the same settings but I guess you got the idea now.Man Happy

Enjoy...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.