For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
bkreiss's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, May 10th, 2013 1:14 AM

Pausing a show in one room and continue in another

Trying to figure out how to pause a show in one room and continue in another room as they advertise.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

11 years ago

The ads state "pause a recorded show in one room and continue in another."  So, the first suggestion I have for you is press the Red record button on the first TV, then switch to watching the recording vs. the live program.  After you do that, you can stop the show, then browse to the same recording on another TV and it will resume right where you stopped it.

It is actually possible to pause a live show in one room and pick it up in another without recording it, but it's somewhat more complicated and, well, iffy.  You must not turn off the first STB until you've gotten to your place on the second, and you'll need to use rewind to find your place.

Former Employee

• 

549 Messages

11 years ago

Hi Barbara Kreiss

Just checking up on your post. The suggestions and info that Jeffer MC provided is a good solution for this concern. Were you able to pause a show in one room and get it to continue in another room? We'd like to hear back from you if this was able to resolve your issue or if you need additional assistance. Feel free to reply to this thread or you can mark his answer as "Correct" or "Helpful" Thank you! Smiley Happy

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I do know how to pause a recorded show and watch it in another room. I thought it was pausing a live show and continuing in another room so perhaps what I thought they were saying on the commercial was not correct. But Jeffermc says you can do it. What is STB? I would like to try the live show way.

Thanks!

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

For the most part, the commercial refers to Recorded shows. Also, STB stand for Set Top Box, or your U-verse cable box.

But for live shows, you would have to do it the way jeffermc stated. Unfortunately, it does not quite pick up from where it left off, but it does record it and keep it in the DVR buffer as long as you don't tune away from that channel. So because of this, if you go to another TV and tune to that channel, you just have to Rewind to the point where you were at.

When I want to do it, I just change the channel on the current TV I am watching and change it back. This resets the DVR buffer. Go ahead and hit pause (You have to wait about 5-10 seconds for the DVR to start recording that channel). Go to another room and tune to that channel and hit the rewind button and let it go all the way, and it will be where you hit pause.

So as you can see, it's not ideal for live TV, and doing jeffermc's first suggestion may be a lot easier.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have tried this a many different ways and it is just another blown out of proportion hype thang...

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

@holdemnuts wrote:

I have tried this a many different ways and it is just another blown out of proportion hype thang...

I do this all day when I'm home alone....start the news in the office...pause it....get breakfast....pick it up in the LR as I eat my Wheaties.....

Start Wendy Williams in the LR....I forgot something in the office, I move back in there....Start Dr. Phil...need a nap...move to the BR.

What's hype to one person is luxury to another.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

@holdemnuts wrote:

I disagree.  I fairly often record live TV and watch it while it is still recording, sometimes stopping it in one room and picking it back up in another.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

I believe there is basic functionality and there is a description of how that functionality can be used. The first " is what it is " and the second is subject to interpretation/misinterpretation.

In this case - "Pause a show in one room and pick it up in another room" - is a use and must be figured out how to apply the basic functionality.

The whole house DVR functionality includes - While watching a recording press the stop button to signal the recording manager to hold the show at that point & present a resume button to restart it at that point ( a Start over button is also available) on any STB at any time.

So, this usage is supported for viewing recordings when the pause activity is interpreted as using the Stop button.

For live TV, the key functionality is that the buffer builds on one STB and gets attached to by additional STBs soon after they are tuned to the same channel. The pause button only pauses the STB that receives the IR signal & has no impact on anything else. The STB must be left "on" to keep the buffer active.

Applying this to the desired usage is especially counter-intuitive -

At least a large part of the time, the customer is going to want to turn off the STB/TV. Doing this kills the buffer needed for picking it up at the same point.

When turning on the second STB it will start at the current time. To get back to the "pause" point requires rewinding & seeing what you do not want to see, backwards. This cannot be accomplished until the STB joins the buffer. While waiting this unknown time the customer is watching ahead of the "pause "point.

It seems like if there is any expectation of pausing/moving on live shows the best solution for current functionality is to turn on both STB/TVs initially. Maybe mute one. Then you can move from room to room with a simple mute/un-mute & an occasional rewind (no waiting for it to kick in).

If this usage were to be built as functionality from scratch it would work like this -

Pause (the button) the first TV. Turn off the first TV.
The recording manager would recognize that the STB was turned off while paused & keep the buffer.
When turning on the new TV a message would say - A paused show ids available. Do you want to join?
Yes - Join at paused point.
No, - regular viewing
Off course, a menu item is required to join by a method other than the "automatic" one. And, The "pause" must end at some point, such as when the stream is required for recording or anther STB.

If one does not want to turn off the first STB/TV, use the current method for live.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

For the record, again, the ads state: "pause a recorded show in one room and continue in another. [empahsis mine]"  This works.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

The only effective way to do this is:

1. Play an existing recording or start recording a live show on Room 1. If the latter then start playing the new recording in Room 1.

2. Then press STOP in Room 1.

3. In Room 2 goto Recordings and press Play & Resume.

4. If you want to pick it back up again in Room 1 you have to do the same sequece: Stop play in Room 2, Then Play/Resume back in Room 1

....Kind of tedious but not too bad, it works.  It seems like it would have been easy for the options to implement a "Resume from most recent Play of this program in another room" button so you don't have  to do all the stopping and starting of the Recording when you switch rooms.

One of many UI flubs in FIOPTICS that make it kind of annoying compared to Spectrum's advanced & refined DVR/Guide functionality. But it is cheaper, with a superior picture, and much faster internet.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.