stepmonster's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, July 25th, 2012 3:02 PM

Parental time controls for wi-fi -U verse 3801HGV

How ( or can ) I set up time limits for wireless access ?  Shut off at 10 pm for example ?  I have been in the settings and no where can I find this option.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

The U-verse gateway does not have that feature.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

12 years ago

Many people purchase a separate router/firewall that has those features.  If you take this route, you can then disable the wireless access in the RG and control it through this router.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

@stepmonster wrote:

How ( or can ) I set up time limits for wireless access ?  Shut off at 10 pm for example ?  I have been in the settings and no where can I find this option.

First - I love your username, it made me laugh!

Second - is your goal to limit internet use on laptop/desktop computers or some other device? There are a lot of device based options that allow you to set restrictions. 

Let us know what you're trying to restrict access on and we'll find some ways to help. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks about the user name, it is the stepchild I am trying to restrict so I figured the username fit LOL

Yes I am trying to prevent her from circumventing the parental controls that will be on her phone as soon as school starts again and using the ipod or kindle to chat.  Or just the phone but via wifi, without having to unplug it each night.  If I have to then I will just do that but was hoping to have a setting.

Thanks 🙂

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

That is a tough one indeed. I have a teenage son, so I know where you're coming from. 🙂

There was a period of time where any electronic device had to leave the room (or actually be with me) during homework time and at bed time. That helped establish the right behavior and we didn't have to do it for that long. 

Another option is to change the wireless password and have her bring the device to you when she needs to use it. Of course, you'd need to make sure that the network settings were wiped out when it's time to put the device away. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

So in other words there is no soultion.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

The gateway does not have that feature so, no; you cannot set parental controls through the gateway. 

As JefferMC noted above, you can get a router that has those capabilites and apply parental controls using the router. 

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

12 years ago

Saw this on Facebook and couldn't resist.

wifi password.jpg

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

OMG LOVE IT !!!  Now that is an answer I can use LOL 

Although I wish there was a simpler way ( or knew how ) to only delete her devices.  I hate having to enter in the new password for all of the adults 🙂

Kids are highly overrated !!

Thanks for the morning chuckle !!

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

Hahaha! Love it. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.