rt123's profile

Scholar

• 

411 Messages

Thursday, April 17th, 2014 2:47 PM

Netflix

Has anybody been having problems with Nextflix buffering constently lately i have been noticing it doing that past couple weeks eveything else is fine on the Roku its just Netflix .

Scholar

• 

129 Messages

10 years ago

Although I don't do Netflix, I'd chalk it up to what periodically plagues all streaming services: network overloads/congestion.  If you're connecting anytime during peak hours (i.e. 7pm-12mid Eastern), you're going to encounter some sort of delays, because everyone ELSE is trying to get on just like you.

Of course it would depend upon *what* you're selecting, since the most popular would be the obvious targets for slowdowns -- as in HBO's system breaking down recently when everybody just HAD to watch Game of Thrones.  But the entire network may slow down in order to accomodate the higher-demand popular choices, just so that everyone can at least get something.

YMMV

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

10 years ago

Yes i have and it seems that netflix has gotten too big for their britches, im thinking a server upgrade is in order, makes it almost unwatchable, what i would like to see in place is the option to buffer for a certain amount of time before it plays, Hit play buffer 20 minutes of the movie while i make dinner  or whatever.

Scholar

• 

411 Messages

10 years ago

OK thanks i am just glad i'm not the only one having the problem .

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I think I just busted Uverse throttling Netflix.  After constant buffering I did a speed test @ 20mb.  Then I switched off the wifi on my phone to use the ATT Microcell with about 3mb download through my Uverse.  I finished my movie at the same resolution without any buffering. Hmmm...

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

I have never had any problems with Netflix on my Roku 3 or on my IPad.  UVerse is not slowing it down for me.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@moremusac wrote:

@I think I just busted Uverse throttling Netflix.  After constant buffering I did a speed test @ 20mb.  Then I switched off the wifi on my phone to use the ATT Microcell with about 3mb download through my Uverse.  I finished my movie at the same resolution without any buffering. Hmmm...

You would be hard pressed to prove this.  By changing to another conveyence, you likely ran off another Netflix server.

There have been loads of complaints about buffering issues and such across all providers.  AND I find it an odd coincidence that this happened after Net Neutrality was struck down.  Hmmm, indeed. Smiley Happy

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Didn't AT&T say this in their buy out announcement?                                                                                  Net neutrality. The combined company would also abide by net neutrality rules established in 2010 -- that ISPs can't discriminate against various types of legal content -- but tossed out earlier this year. The Federal Communications Commission is currently in the process of recasting the rules.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Curious.  I have the U-Verse 45mbps plan, and I only pull about 240 resolution during peak hours (tested it last night.  And this morning, pulled easily full 1080 at about 7am).  What's weird to me is that when I stream through Chromecast (using my iPad) during peak hours, I get the full 1080 resolution with no decrease in speed.  Does using the ipad somehow route it differently then through my Roku (which is slow as a snail)?

I'm not super tech savy, so any info someone could provide would be greatly appreciated.  I've spoken to Roku, I've spoken to Netflix, and I spent about 2-plus hours with AT&T Connect Tech service last night/early this morning trying to resolve to no avail.  Just want to be able to stream with quality through my Roku like I have been until about 8 days ago (speaking of which, was there something that happened around that time to all of a sudden cause these problems?  An update perhaps)?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.