For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
noisy_cricket's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 7:45 PM

Need some help understanding my network layout for upcomming install

So, I have a scheduled Uverse install this weekend and wanted to run this past you guys. I'm trying to decide how my network needs to be setup to support the STBs and my PCs over wired network.

Here's my current setup

3 TVs with dedicated CAT6 runs to the basement where all my gear is. RG6 is also available but I'm trying to avoid.

4 dedicated CAT6 lines from a PC, XBOX, and 2 Blu-ray players.

6 wireless devices.

From what I can tell the UV Gateway will have 4 ports. can I put the STB directly to the gateway and then put the rest of my devices to a switch and then to the remaining port?

Will that be sufficient to keep the multicast traffic away from my other devices?

Also, I did try to get uverse a couple years ago and I guess I was just outside of range and was told I would have to wait for Pair Bonding installed to be available. Does that throw any wrenches into my plans? I've done some digging and seen some posts where people stated that with the inid setup required for pair bonding that only RG6 is supported for the STBs?

Thanks!!

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

I agree, in my books wireless is for cellphones, tablets and laptops only. PCs, TVs, Game Consoles, Smart Devices (tvs,bluray,roku,etc) all get hardwired in my house.

Well, I guess we'll see what the tech decides to do Saturday. Even if they do install over coax I'm tempted to pick up a Netgear GS116E which supports IGMP v3 so I can switch it over to ethernet and not worry about multicast flooding. Although if the inid resets and that ethernet port gets defaulted to disabled I can forsee some crazy wife aggro if I'm not around to re-enable it.

Dunno, why it bugs me so much lol. I guess coax just seems like old tech that's still being used because people/businesses don't want to deal with switching over to CAT5e/6, so they just avoid the situation by coming up with work arounds to still use coax. Blah.

I'll certainly let you guys know once the install is complete and what route they went 🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

11 years ago

Yeah, do let us know how things end up.  I have Coax going to one STB, Cat 5e to the other two.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

Install done and went relatively smoothly. The tech got the inid and the inside power unit all hooked up and when powered up the inside unit was getting power but nothing on the inid. He figured it was the inid and swapped that but still nothing. Swapped the power unit and good to go.

I let the tech know that I had coax and ethernet available at all TVs and he preferred the coax which is fine by me. He's done more of these installs than me 🙂

Everything connected perfectly and setup in no time at all. 

The tech did his final signal checking before he left and said we had fantastic signals. We are est 3300ft fro the vrad. I'm having trouble getting to the 192.168.1.254 admin page and UV Realtime isn't working so once I can figure that out (posted for help in the residential gateway forum) I'mm post of screens of my setup and stats.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

The iNid if I recall is a different IP. Try just gateway.2wire.net, which will get you into the i3812v.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

no go on that address either.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

reset the i38hg bridge dealio and still no go. do I need to reset the inid box or something?

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

so I did the rest on the power unit to ther inid held for 9sec. system rebooted and I was able to get into the config page. 

at that time when I tried getting on the net I got a gateway not authorized error. After about 30sec that error what gone and I could get on the web but then lo and behold I couldn't get to the admin page any more.....ugh. I've never had this much trouble with any of my network gear.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

finally got it work work, took a few reboots of the inid and the i38hg unit inside.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.