xwagner76's profile

Participant

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 25th, 2014 9:14 PM

NFL starting soon, so I signed up for U-Verse again...

All these years later and I *STILL* can't sign up for only the few channels that feature NFL games -- my local CBS, NBC and Fox affiliates, ESPN and NFL Network. I DON'T WANT ANY OTHER CHANNELS, I NEVER WATCH THEM.

This year, however, the cost seems even higher -- there's a $10 HDTV fee and a weird $50 per receiver fee??? Do I get to KEEP the receivers? "It's not the monkeys, it's the mosquitos" as someone once said. The NFL is my primary form of entertainment. This is a big deal to me. Why, O why, then, can I not get a square deal?

I *do not want* the Catholic Buddhist Underwater Basket Weaving Shopping Channel. Period! I have to sign up at the "U200" level to get NFL Network -- how about if I can order JUST THE CHANNELS I WANT TO WATCH and the other ones can just not show up at all? 

If it weren't for ESPN and NFL Network I don't think I'd need cable/ATT at all as far as TV goes. I'd get a decent roof antenna. Watch OTA games. 

Once upon a time my cell phone bill was $30 a month. Now my ATT bill for cell phones, Internet and TV is like $250 a month! I feel like I'm getting milked hard and I do not enjoy it, to the point where I wanted to post this since I could not find a "Chat" feature to gnaw on some Customer Service representative. ATT could offer an NFL package. I'll bet the NFL features are the best selling channels on ATT. I get the feeling I'm being squeezed and I do not like it.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

10 years ago

@JohninFL wrote:

Go to NFL.com and enter NFL Sunday Ticket in the search field. Directv is offering Sunday Ticket without a subscription this season. There are exceptions and limitations so read the find print. My nephew lives in a condo not served by Directv and he was able to get Sunday Ticket.

Here is an article from July 17, that gives alternatives to having Direct TV in order to get NFL Sunday ticket. As JohninFL said, "There are exceptions and limitations so read the fine print." Otherwise, the only way to get NFL Sunday Ticket at this time is to be a subscriber to Direct TV.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000365728/article/directv-to-offer-nfl-sunday-ticket-streaming-options

The article says,

"NFL fans who have wanted DirecTV's NFL Sunday Ticket but have been stymied by satellite restrictions are about to get a reprieve.

DirecTV announced on its website the introduction of NFLSundayTicket.tv, which allows subscribers to stream live, out-of-market games without requiring a dish. Fans can stream the contests on laptops, tablets, smartphones or using a gaming console.

Packages range from $199.99 for laptop, computer and phone services (with a student discount available) to $329.99 for the full package on all compatible devices and gaming consoles, including DirecTV's Red Zone Channel and new Fantasy Zone channel.

Of course, there are restrictions.

The service is only available to those who: 1) live in apartment buildings where DirecTV service is unavailable; 2) live in metro New York, Philadelphia or San Francisco; or 3) attend college at Michigan (Ann Arbor), Alabama, Washington, Texas (Austin), USC, Florida, Colorado (Boulder), Syracuse, Ohio State or Harvard."

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

@xwagner76 wrote:

All these years later and I *STILL* can't sign up for only the few channels that feature NFL games -- my local CBS, NBC and Fox affiliates, ESPN and NFL Network. I DON'T WANT ANY OTHER CHANNELS, I NEVER WATCH THEM.

This year, however, the cost seems even higher -- there's a $10 HDTV fee and a weird $50 per receiver fee??? Do I get to KEEP the receivers? "It's not the monkeys, it's the mosquitos" as someone once said. The NFL is my primary form of entertainment. This is a big deal to me. Why, O why, then, can I not get a square deal?

I *do not want* the Catholic Buddhist Underwater Basket Weaving Shopping Channel. Period! I have to sign up at the "U200" level to get NFL Network -- how about if I can order JUST THE CHANNELS I WANT TO WATCH and the other ones can just not show up at all? 

If it weren't for ESPN and NFL Network I don't think I'd need cable/ATT at all as far as TV goes. I'd get a decent roof antenna. Watch OTA games. 

Once upon a time my cell phone bill was $30 a month. Now my ATT bill for cell phones, Internet and TV is like $250 a month! I feel like I'm getting milked hard and I do not enjoy it, to the point where I wanted to post this since I could not find a "Chat" feature to gnaw on some Customer Service representative. ATT could offer an NFL package. I'll bet the NFL features are the best selling channels on ATT. I get the feeling I'm being squeezed and I do not like it.

Oh goodness...where to start?

Simplest first: receivers (STB) are $8 a month.  That's a rental fee.  They are not yours.  If something happens, they are replaced free of charge.  Tip of the Day: do not buy one off Ebay or Craigs List.  It won't work.

Next:  No provider offers "a la cart" programming (ie: picking and choosing what channels you get).  You get what you get at whatever level of service you choose.  You can hide channels that you don't want to see on the guide.

Thirdly:  Yes, the HD fee is $10 month unless you choose U450.

This all being said, my husband watches NFL network almost exclusively (hello 1630) with ESPN occassionally.  We have U300.  Your best bet is to compare the different options HERE and choose the one that best meets your needs.

Scholar

• 

289 Messages

10 years ago

Go to NFL.com and enter NFL Sunday Ticket in the search field. Directv is offering Sunday Ticket without a subscription this season. There are exceptions and limitations so read the find print. My nephew lives in a condo not served by Directv and he was able to get Sunday Ticket.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

10 years ago

Your cellphone bill was $30/mo, but yeah, as you add more stuff to it, it's natural that the cost will rise.

As a new customer, you should be able to get promotions and discounts to make that U-200 plus HD less than the regular price. They may also be able to bundle the cell phone bill in with it as well.

As others have said, no provider offers the ability to pay for just the channels you want. If they did, ESPN might be $15/mo and NFL Network might be $20/mo. You know you'd want ESPN2 and maybe even ESPN News for their NFL coverage (plus Sports Center), and all of a sudden, you're probably looking at $50 or even $70...at that point, it's better to get U-200 at a promotional discount rate.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

Wonder of wonders - a one post wonder does a drive by and never comes back.

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

I only watch the premium movie channels because I can not stand any channel that interupts my program and also they have the best shows.  I would love to buy just those channels but I have to buy the whole package.  Do I whine about it, no.  It is what it is.  You can not even stream their channels without a subscription to the channel through your tv service.  So I just live with it until the face of cable changes and you can buy just the channels you want.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@dinglesby wrote:

I only watch the premium movie channels because I can not stand any channel that interupts my program and also they have the best shows.  I would love to buy just those channels but I have to buy the whole package.  Do I whine about it, no.  It is what it is.  You can not even stream their channels without a subscription to the channel through your tv service.  So I just live with it until the face of cable changes and you can buy just the channels you want.

I used to say that ala carte pricing would never happen, @Anonymous .  Now my mantra has been changed to "never say never."  About 5 years ago, I was contacted by a market research firm as a candidate to beta / stress test HBOGo.  I tested it for a month and actually got $100 for my time.  At any rate, there were lots of surveys with lots of "what if's."  One of the "what if's" was what if HBO offered the HBOGo app as a streaming only option.  I believe that the prices listed were between $12 and $20 per month.  SO, channel providers are looking at "cable" independent ways of getting their product out.  I wonder how Net Neutrality might hamper this trend but the FCC is supposedly crafting new rules.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.