lwoxen_1's profile

Mentor

• 

21 Messages

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 7:04 PM

My AT&T wireless receiver keeps losing signal when connecting to access point

Have had one wireless receiver for some time (over a year) and still find that it loses connection to the access point almost every night.  We go through the process of power cycling both the access point and the wireless receiver and it usually works for the next 24 hours or so.  The access point is across the room about 15 feet with a direct line of sight between the two.  The access point is connected to the gateway via cat5 on s direct port (ie not through a switch).  I remember sometime back there was a firmware upgrade that was supposed to fix this, which I believe I got.  Is there a way to confirm the firmware version and update it, or does anyone have any other suggestions. 

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi Groovy55,

I am sorry you are having intermittent issues with your wireless receiver as well. We always prefer a direct connection to our U-verse router due to the Quality of Service control it offers. With TV packets vs Internet packets, if the TV packets come in delayed, you will notice an immediate difference, while an internet packet, you may or may not notice a delay in load time. Our router ensures that TV packets get top priority.

The wireless receiver may not be the best option for you, and we may need to go with the alternate wired receivers. I will be sending you a private message to discuss this further.

Thank you,

David T

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I would love to have some help with this as well. I have called in but they tell me that I need to call and have them run some tests and if a tech needs to come out, it's going to cost me $130!  I have 5 boxes in my house, 2 of them are wireless. I never have any issues with the ones that are not wireless, but I would say that each of the wireless boxes loses connection at least once a day-what a pain.  Of course, we opted for the living room and my girls' room for the wirelss, so we are miserable.  I would be fine just swapping them out for non-wireless, or having this issue fixed, either way.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi jendwheeler,

I am so sorry about the issues you are having with your wireless receivers, but I would be glad to help. I will be sending you a private message to gather more information and discuss this issue more in detail.

-David T

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Just tell them to send you a new Motorola WAP.  I have had mine for 2 weeks and haven't had any problems since I got it and hooked it up.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Do you think the Motorola WAP would be an option? I would be willing to try that.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi jendwheeler,

That is definitely something worth trying. I will send you a private message to get your account information, so we can set this up.

-David T

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

(removed for security reasons)

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Seems to be a common problem; however, very aggravating. I have two wireless receivers that lose connection almost nightly. A technician was at my home a while back and talked me into them. They have been a nightmare. I usually cannot re-establish a connection for hours. I was on the phone with tech support not getting anywhere, so I hung up in frustration. can someone help?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

mpd3253 - If you cannot direct wire the STBs how close can you get?? You need to find abetter location for the WAP by trial and error. Here is a good source for cat5 cable - monoprice.com

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Not sure what a STB is. The WAP is downstairs in my living room beside the modem. The two wireless receivers are in two upstairs bedrooms. Those rooms previously had wired receivers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.