SheriSTL's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Tuesday, November 18th, 2014 5:07 PM

Loud Cracking/Snapping Noise

I know this sounds crazy, but for the last month or so, when one commercial is ending and another one is beginning, there is a loud cracking noise.  Never encountered this before with U-Verse.  Anyone else experiencing this and any suggestions on how to get it fixed?  It's almost like a bug that needs a download fix.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @tjperez ,

We have received your message and look forward to working with you to resolve this issue.

For others having the problem, try changing from HDMI to component cables to see if that helps.

Also, I was able to digup SheriSTL's case notes, and they were able to resolve the issue by doing a non-destructive recovery. You can do so by:

1. Unplug the receiver or DVR power cord from the wall or back of the box.
  2. Wait 10 seconds.
  3. Plug in the receiver and DVR.
  4. When three white dots appear on the screen, unplug the receiver/DVR again.
  5. Repeat this process two more times.
  6. Plug the receiver/DVR back in on the third time and leave in. Three white dots appear followed by a gear with a status bar at the bottom of the screen.
  7. If the Disaster Recovery screen does not appear, repeat the steps above.

-David T

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

I'm assuming with this that:

1) You have HD service,

2) You're watching an HD channel, and

3) You've got surround sound enabled on your TV Receiver.

Sometimes when switching between programs and/or commercials, the data stream isn't say "perfect."  It can be caused by a change in the video stream (from one aspect ratio to another, for instance).  Anyway, if the digital audio stream gets interupted, that may get passed on and cause some equipment to "chirp."  

You could try switching your TV receiver's audio format setting from surround to stereo and see if the issue goes away.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

No, no, and no.  Great suggestions though JefferMC.  I did a little digging around and found an article that might explain it.  It seems like you know what you're talking about, so let me run this one by you.  This loud crack occurs only during one commercial ending and another one beginning.  Not all the time, not all stations.

The article talked about there being a difference between how local commercials and mass industry commercials are handled with tv providers.  One is manually switched on, and the other is automatically switched on.  

Could AT&T have an issue with switching the local St. Louis commercials on that is causing this crack?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

I wanted to post an update on this issue after speaking with an AT&T technician last night.  Apparently there was a fix, which the tech had done on his end.  He would never explain what had caused this cracking sound in between some commercials but assured me that he had fixed it, and also would be crediting my account $7.00.  Since last night and this morning, the cracking sound has been eliminated.

See?  I wasn't crazy after all!!!  LOL  

:>)

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I was curious as to how your "fix" was implemented. Was it done over the phone or in person? Kindly reply, as I have been having the same issue for quite some time, and the response I was given was a new box being sent. Thank you!

Scholar

• 

72 Messages

9 years ago

@SheriSTL  Any insight on the fix performed by the tech?

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

9 years ago

I have the same issue.  It occurs when AT&T inserts their stupid commercials over the station's commercials.  It's on many of the SD channels (with the receiver in HD mode); FXX is the worst I've found.  AT&T broadcasts "their" commercials in full 16:9 format while the SD channel is letterboxed or barn-doored, so I'm assuming the two video sizes don't sync properly during the switch.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@tjperez wrote:

I have the same issue.  It occurs when AT&T inserts their stupid commercials over the station's commercials.  It's on many of the SD channels (with the receiver in HD mode); FXX is the worst I've found.  AT&T broadcasts "their" commercials in full 16:9 format while the SD channel is letterboxed or barn-doored, so I'm assuming the two video sizes don't sync properly during the switch.

Click the ATT Uverse Care link in my signature, send the PM, explain your noise situation.

Include your account #, email address and a good phone # (land or cell) and time to contact you on.

Check the blue PM envelope, upper right on every page, for their reply. Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

Hello Burt,

I'm sorry for the delay in my response.  I hope that since your post, you were able to have your issue fixed.  Unfortunately the problem is now back and I will need to contact AT&T again.  The fix lasted for approx. 1 month, then started getting the loud cracking noise again inbetween commercials.

To answer your original questions, the tech did the fix remotely.  No one had to come to my house, but I wonder if they will end up having to do that since it truly hasn't been fixed.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

//Sheri

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

Sorry for the delayed response.  The fix was done remotely, but unfortunately after 1 month, the same problem is back.  Apparently it was only a temporary fix.  I will be contacting AT&T again and post the results.

I'm sorry that I could not have been of more assistance.

//Sheri

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.