Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Loss of channels

Loss of channels

AT&T has failed to properly prepare for the  anticipated end of contract negotiation with Nexstar - resulting in the loss of ABC station, a MAJOR network. This continues to happen, as in the past, when other channels were removed from the lineup - as your customers continue to pay increased costs in service. We set up another TV(purchased an antennae) that would give us this basic channel for the interim - assuming we will get the channel back at some time in the future!  I think it's time to contact other providers who can provide continuing service that we PAY for and don't get with AT&T.

Message 347 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

Re: Not getting local NBC affiliate; DirecTVPromise.com site doesn't work

Like everything else their costs are going up that causes the customer to pay more and since they need more money to pay for everything they want a raise, that raises the cost and around and around.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

@Nbcnbc wrote:

I am trying to figure this out about NBC why do you want more money for your station I will just go to another cable company drop direct tv

Sure, you could do that.  But all service providers, including cable companies, go through these same crazy contract disputes.  Be sure to contact your local station and its owners and ask them why companies like Comcast and DirecTV should pay anything when they get to use our public airwaves for FREE?!?

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 2,209
Contributor

Iv been a loyal customer just like several other thousands and pay for all channels.
Pay 190.00 a month and this is the thanks we get.
Your about to loose a lot of people because of your greed .
Dish network is sounding really good rite now
Message 17 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

@Freedom2014 wrote:
Iv been a loyal customer just like several other thousands and pay for all channels.
Pay 190.00 a month and this is the thanks we get.
Your about to loose a lot of people because of your greed .
Dish network is sounding really good rite now

And you would be happy paying even more each month just because local station owners want more and more subscriber money to provide their stations?  Who's being greedy?  And be sure to check the Dish Network forums because they have these same contract dispute issues, along with Comcast and everyone else.  

Message 18 of 2,209
Contributor

All I want to know is WHEN are we getting our LOCAL channel back??? Be big boys and girls, play nice, and stop negotiating over a price for something that USED to be completely free!
Message 19 of 2,209
Contributor

it doesn't do any good to griping because they are just doong.tjis to try to get more money out of the customers. I say they broke the contract now so we should be able to drop them and go with someone else with no problem.
Message 20 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

@1cecil1, your local station ownership "broke" the contract and forced DirecTV to drop their channel.  DirecTV didn't do anything to break their contract with you.  

Message 21 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

@ThinksImscrewed DTV and all other providers have always payed for local stations they have never been free, they are only free if you get them OTA. Only the local channel controls when they will return their feed to DTV.

Message 22 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

Local channels are free over-the-air (OTA). Don't need any provider, just a regular OTA antenna.

Directv pays the local channels to carry them, but provides them as a complimentary perk to us. It is not a requirement of service as they are free OTA. No contract was broken with the customer. Directv's agreement with the local came up, local wants more money, Directv wants to keep price reasonable so it can stay complimentary instead of charging for locals.

"Be big boys and girls, play nice, and stop negotiating over a price..." Negotiating is playing nice. What may be considered not nice is that the local has the option to stay on while they are negotiating as a sign of good faith, but chooses not to in order to hold customers hostage in an attempt to leverage them against Directv. Not a situation we like, but it is their option as they hold the broadcast rights.

And for anyone still shouting "I will switch providers!", that will not solve the problem. All tv providers go through negotiations as they don't own the channel. Realistically you are not going to switch again, and again, and again every time a negotiation pops up. What would be better is plugging an OTA antenna in as a stance against the rising costs of locals (costs which would threaten to eventually raise our bill). Since you get whatever locals are in range you may pick up more locals that Directv doesn't have at all (like most sub-channels) or locals from a neighboring market they are not allowed by Federal regulations to provide you. And gives you a backup if there is ever a technical issue preventing you from enjoying Directv on that tv.

And make sure you are sending your complaint to the local affiliate that is staying off.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 23 of 2,209
Contributor

Owners are absurd  in negotiations.

this is not a new phase, just a more narcissistic one.  

How dare you play with my paid for services.  Arrogance, self absorbed beings running my life!

my written words are under scrutiny.  How about those manipulating my service.

Message 24 of 2,209
Contributor

I am not getting my CBS station and they keep telling me that they are still in negotiations  bull I am still paying the same amount  each month. This is bull {edited for word filter evasion}should not take this long I am planning to cancel my service .

Message 25 of 2,209
Contributor

Want NBC back I am missing my favorite shows.  Too bad I am tied into a 2 yr. contract because I would go to another provider if I was not.  How much longer will this issue exist?  I am getting very tired of this.

Message 26 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

@tirednonbc wrote:

Want NBC back I am missing my favorite shows.  Too bad I am tied into a 2 yr. contract because I would go to another provider if I was not.  How much longer will this issue exist?  I am getting very tired of this.

@tirednonbc, changing providers won't help.  They're all subject to these crazy contract negotiations with the corporations that own the local stations.  

The issue will exist as long as that station's ownership refuses to let DirecTV provide their signal.  

Message 27 of 2,209
Contributor

Yes I have the same problem, and I don't think this is right, I am paying me money for Direc tv and I can't get all of my channel, I am so Frustrated!!!!

Message 28 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

Directv pays local affiliate to carry them.

Before agreement ends, negotiations start.

If new agreement is not reached by the time current one ends, channel owner pulls their feed from Directv as is their right.

TV providers do not own the channels which is why all of them have in their terms "channels subject to change".

Why should Directv be charged more, and in the end our bill, for a free over-the-air (OTA) channel? We don't go to pay TV for our locals. Plug in an OTA antenna to enjoy the free broadcast. Enjoy Directv for the national channels you got them for.

http://directvpromise.com/keeping-you-connected-to-your-local-stations/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 29 of 2,209
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support