Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Loss of channels

Loss of channels

AT&T has failed to properly prepare for the  anticipated end of contract negotiation with Nexstar - resulting in the loss of ABC station, a MAJOR network. This continues to happen, as in the past, when other channels were removed from the lineup - as your customers continue to pay increased costs in service. We set up another TV(purchased an antennae) that would give us this basic channel for the interim - assuming we will get the channel back at some time in the future!  I think it's time to contact other providers who can provide continuing service that we PAY for and don't get with AT&T.

Message 347 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

Re: Not getting local NBC affiliate; DirecTVPromise.com site doesn't work

@Xtratired wrote:

Can someone at least give us an update on how the negotiations are going if at all!!

Unfortunately negotiations are behind the scenes so neither Directv or the local affiliate will give you an update during them. Only once negotiations are finished will we get an answer. In the meantime you could use an over-the-air (OTA) antenna to pick up whatever locals are within range, and there is no monthly cost for locals as they are free OTA.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 45 of 2,209

I would like to complain to NBC. How do I do that? It's a free channel over the air waves, so I'm furious with NBC that I missed

America's Got Talent because I didn't watch NBC with my antenna. I think I may take the antenna down, as I don't want

the aggravation.  

Message 46 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

@clouds4ever wrote:

I would like to complain to NBC. How do I do that? It's a free channel over the air waves, so I'm furious with NBC that I missed

America's Got Talent because I didn't watch NBC with my antenna. I think I may take the antenna down, as I don't want

the aggravation.  

Look at the station's web site to see who their corporate owner is. There should be contact info there for you. 

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 47 of 2,209
Tutor

Please don't go to Dish Network they are not any better they add channels on to your account without your knowledge whatever they quote you on the phone is not what you actually pay and I heard that channel 2 was removed from Dish Network the service is bad their customer service  is bad they don't care about their customers and I would really really really think twice about going to them 

Message 48 of 2,209
Scholar

Taking your antenna down is pretty much like cutting off your nose to spite your face.  I get most of my local channels via DTV (but not all), but I use my Tivo to record all local channels.  For two reasons:  1. Picture is better, since it hasn't been compressed like it is through DTV, and 2. It's here just when it's broadcast, and not delayed because of the shuttle from ground to 22+ thousand miles and back again.

Message 49 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

@clouds4ever

I would suggest not taking your antenna down. Channel negotiations with any TV provider has no affect on your antenna coverage as you are just getting the free over-the-air (OTA) broadcasts. You may even get channels that either your TV provider doesn't have at all, or might be from a neighboring market that your TV provider couldn't provide you themselves per Federal regulations.

So the OTA antenna can be a backup for any TV provider, or even compliment it if it brings in additional channels they cannot provide you.

Generally going to a pay TV provider is for the national channels, not your free locals.

Message 50 of 2,209
Contributor

Its been too long and our favorite shows are on this channel? ........................

Message 51 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

@Ceolindalinda wrote:

Its been too long and our favorite shows are on this channel? ........................

You've read this thread, right?  Call the company that owns your local NBC station.  If that's KSL in Salt Lake City, the owner is Bonneville. 

Message 52 of 2,209
Contributor

What is an OTA ?

Message 53 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

@Dawson/smoot wrote:

What is an OTA ?

That is over-the-air (OTA) antenna. It is getting your locals the traditional way, from their free broadcasts. An option when DirecTV does not have all possible locals for your address, they are in negotiations with a local, or possibly other locals within range that are from a neighboring market so DirecTV would not be allowed to provide them per the FCC.

As a note DirecTV has in a couple test markets a Local Channel Connector (LCC). This is an accessory to replace the discontinued AM21. Allows you to connect your regular OTA antenna to a HDDVR so that not only can you access the additional locals without having to change your TV's input between the two delivery methods, but also allow you to record them to the DVR as well. Hopefully it will not take too long to be available nationwide.

Message 54 of 2,209
Contributor

When, if ever, can we expect to get the local NBC affiliate back on?????  Paying a premium price and not getting a lot of the shows I used to watch every day.

Message 55 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

@navy65 wrote:

When, if ever, can we expect to get the local NBC affiliate back on?????  Paying a premium price and not getting a lot of the shows I used to watch every day.

When your local NBC affiliate gives the feed back to DirecTV. As normal they are wanting to raise costs further. DirecTV, as well as many of us customers, are against locals continuing to raise costs for channels that are over-the-air (OTA) free. http://promise.directv.com/keeping-you-connected-to-your-local-stations/

For example: "We want to get KVIQ and KIEM back into your lineup as soon as possible. The stations’ owner, Northwest Broadcasting, charges more than nearly every other station owner to allow anyone to keep its stations like KVIQ and KIEM. But Northwest wants to be able to collect those same high fees on behalf of other stations it may own in the future. The fact is that you can watch all of the same shows for free over the air on channels 17 and 3 and often via cbs.com and nbc.com or the CBS and NBC apps."

Most of us go to a pay TV provider for the channels we cannot get otherwise, not our free locals. Plug in a antenna into your TV to get the free broadcast. Also DirecTV is testing a new accessory the Local Channel Connector (LCC). The LCC would connect your antenna directly to the HDDVR so you wouldn't have to change inputs and can even record from the OTA channels. Testing in Las Vegas and Salt Lake City so waiting on notice for national launch or at least test market expansion. This would be an option to fight against the local's increasing costs and let DirecTV focus more on the channels they are mainly for.

Message 56 of 2,209
Scholar

Antenna not an option?  You get a better picture (no compression of video) if you watch the signal direct from the broadcaster.  ...and there are systems that record the broadcast signal like the DVR built in to your DTV receiver.  Once you're set up it doesn't cost you anything, either!
Message 57 of 2,209
Contributor

I losted channel 28 fox network, my granddaughter Disney channel has been lost also. I tried calling DirectV at 800-351-5000 I jump through all your options only to get recording of their working on it. Its been two weeks now and NASCAR racing is on every sunday but its not available. I will try to schedule Dish Network to come and install their equipment. This happens every two years with DirectTV.

Message 58 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

@Fruitland wrote:

I losted channel 28 fox network, my granddaughter Disney channel has been lost also. I tried calling DirectV at 800-351-5000 I jump through all your options only to get recording of their working on it. Its been two weeks now and NASCAR racing is on every sunday but its not available. I will try to schedule Dish Network to come and install their equipment. This happens every two years with DirectTV.

Switching providers will not save you. All TV providers go through negotiations, most often with local channels. Sure they may not go through it at the same time, but when it is Dish Network's turn will you switch again and keep repeating the process? Local channels use our airways for free so why should TV providers, and us customers by increased costs in our bill, pay more each year for them? I say plug in a regular antenna into your TV to get the free broadcasts which works regardless of what TV provider you have. DirecTV to help is working on their Local Channel Connector (LCC) so that you can plug your chosen OTA antenna into your HDDVR so you can record from the free broadcast and don't have to switch TV inputs. Couple test markets right now (Las Vegas and Salt Lake City) so just wanting for national launch, or at least the test markets expanding.

Disney channels are unaffected by your local channel's negotiations as those are the national channels in the package. Currently all Disney channels are on. So if one of yours is not working that would be a technical issue (provided it is your package to begin with) and more details would be needed to try and help fix it.

Message 59 of 2,209
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support