For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Hendersonville4's profile

Mentor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, July 5th, 2019 4:33 AM

Closed

Loss of channels

AT&T has failed to properly prepare for the  anticipated end of contract negotiation with Nexstar - resulting in the loss of ABC station, a MAJOR network. This continues to happen, as in the past, when other channels were removed from the lineup - as your customers continue to pay increased costs in service. We set up another TV(purchased an antennae) that would give us this basic channel for the interim - assuming we will get the channel back at some time in the future!  I think it's time to contact other providers who can provide continuing service that we PAY for and don't get with AT&T.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.2K Messages

5 years ago

The channels will return whenever Nexstar returns the feed.

The clause states that channels and programs are subject to change at anytime so legally DTV doesn't have to provide refunds/credits but have been doing so if you call them.

All providers have this problem so have fun moving again.

Guru

• 

720 Messages

5 years ago

The contract dilemma is indeed brutal. Many customers have accepted that it's a norm that can't be overcome, but even if you have the extra income to pay the early-cancellation fee, you end up rewarding the greed that is a built-in part of the contract.

Many online services without contracts often have other problems or deficiencies that might reduce their appeal for many people.

Provisional piracy is difficult for those without unlimited Internet access, limited experience/knowledge, or perhaps even moral dilemmas that interfere with that plan of action.

What is weird is that if you visit Canada as often as I do, you'll notice that there are no contract squabbles with the local US or Canadian affiliates, or even contracts for most cable tv services (not counting bundles). A different system is used because without the US content, the entire Canadian system falls apart.

If the two different systems could somehow merge, leaving the worst parts out, and the more favorable consumer aspects in, both countries would be better off in the long run.

#United we stand, divided we fall !!! Smiley Happy

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I had heard they might have an antenna setup they were offering but this is the first time I’ve see actual mention of it by someone who might actually know how to go about acquiring one. Any tips on that?

Thank you for your explanation.

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

5 years ago

@rsbh60 wrote:
Juniper - When will you provide something insightful? I expect, when a
company is negotiating on my behalf (and as consumers of this service, that
is exactly what they are doing) they owe us some transparency. They owe us
some honest updates on whether they are miles apart and it may be months if
not never or if they are ironing out the details and it will be another
couple days. I know as an ATT apologist you would disagree and support
their 'right' to not share anything, but what ATT is doing should be
investigated by the FCC because it is clear they misled individuals signing
up for services just as they were pulling the plug on NextStar owned
channels and refuse to give honest and direct information to their
significant customer base. If the ATT customer base was organized like many
PAC's that lobby Washington this kind of tactic by corporate america would
not fly.

You have a nice day with your head in the sand.

I am not an apologist. Not defending them in any way. Only pointing out that they do not actually owe us what you think they should. I agree it would be nice if they would could indicate how close negotiations are, but fact is there is no requirement that they do so. The details of the negotiations are private, just like other TV providers. I will say that I do like they don't chance giving false hope (oh were are close to an agreement within the next couple days...2 weeks later still negotiating).

I respond regarding the reality of the situation. What we want to happen and what is required to happen is not the same thing, which I do point out and wish more people understood. However I have kept my posts civil and polite. Please lay off the insults and keep the discussion mature.

ACE - Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

5 years ago

Get an antenna that's the ONLY way to guarantee you won't lose locals since ALL pay tv providers are subject to retransmission contract negotiations and disputes. Yes I realize that not everyone can pick up over the air channels with an antenna but it's worth a try.

Go to www.directvpromise.com to request a local channel dispute credit and /or the LCC if your equipment is compatible (hr 44/54)

ACE - Expert

• 

23.2K Messages

5 years ago

You have to have an HR44/54 Genie, all have to do is call DTV and ask for the LCC device but since it is not in nationwide release DTV may or may not have it in stock and the included flat antenna may or may not work depending on distance from the transmitter and terrain.  tvfool.com may give you more info about OTA channels. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.2K Messages

5 years ago

DTV has no control over a channels programing and those infomercials pay DTV or the channels and help keep you bill down.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I live in Champaign ILL and our CBS and FOX stations have been out almost a month.  No one seems to know anything, and the website TVPromise  just gives generic info that doesn't have an answer or any further info.  I'm sick to death of not having my stations, and having all the players in this little drama all blaming each other and no one telling the customers anything.  What's going on????

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

The fact that ATT did not negotiate.  I signed a contract with ATT and now they have reneged by not providing my channels that I ordered, but are still charging the same price. {edited for word filter evasion}   Really.  If they pulled HBO, think I would still be paying.   Get the deal done before Week 1.  Quit lying.  Do your job.  Get NFL Channel and RedZone Channel back.   Or I am gone.  And not going to DirecTV.    I somehow think this is a ploy to get people to move to a more lucrative DirecTV scenario.    ATT you are sucking at this game right now, shame on you.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I was just informed by a customer service rep that ATT has no intention of bringing back NBC.  I am in Austin Texas and will probably cancel my service.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.