Hendersonville4's profile

Mentor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, July 5th, 2019 4:33 AM

Closed

Loss of channels

AT&T has failed to properly prepare for the  anticipated end of contract negotiation with Nexstar - resulting in the loss of ABC station, a MAJOR network. This continues to happen, as in the past, when other channels were removed from the lineup - as your customers continue to pay increased costs in service. We set up another TV(purchased an antennae) that would give us this basic channel for the interim - assuming we will get the channel back at some time in the future!  I think it's time to contact other providers who can provide continuing service that we PAY for and don't get with AT&T.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

Your message Juniper. My box is brand flipping new. They told me I would lose local channels if I didn’t upgrade. I did. I lost local channels anyways. So, they lied about that. They brought extra equipment. They brought the wrong remotes. I asked for the proper remotes, they sent an extra Genie. Then they tried to charge me for not sending it back AFTER they had already received it back. Fact number one, I have a real problem with phone calls, (many letters and words sound the same on the phone especially when you are speaking to someone for whom English is not their native language) and apparently there is no other way to communicate with them. (I originally hoped this would be one, but I guess not.) The representatives while not outright rude, are not good communicators. They ask a question and the second you start to answer, they talk over you. They talk fast. They don’t understand. It isn’t that I am a snob about language, but English is the only one I know. Americans are too stupid to learn another language. In the past 4 months, I have had to call 4 different times and spent approximately 3 hours talking to someone who isn’t listening. They cannot be listening while they are talking. Naturally, they never told me that I could attach an antenna to the box. Why would they do that when they can just continue to frustrate me? And, yes, that is hours as, in 180 minutes, give or take a very few. I had not looked at the back of the box. Right now, I have an antenna attached to the television. I have to watch local tv in one room, and directv in the other. Is it more seamless attached to the box? Will I still have to toggle the source, and use the television’s remote? Do you know, that I have spent more time with them on the phone in the last 4 months than in the previous 10 years. This is ALL AT&T. It was never this bad before. The past 4 months have made me much less inclined to be nice to them, because why? What’s the point? They are not being nice to me. Or helpful in any conceivable way. They are not making my account a better experience. They advertise that they include local channels. They advertise that they carry all of the NFL games. They are not doing those things. By the way, DirecTv and Nexstar are both saying it’s the other guy’s fault, so there is no negotiation going on.. I just have issues with hearing and language. I can see just fine, that they are both being stubborn. And, as DirecTv is the one who collects my money, I see them as the ones responsible for fulfilling the obligations that they advertise. Is there any way you could tell me exactly what to do?

ACE - Expert

• 

32K Messages

5 years ago

@herm1954 wrote:

Your message Juniper. My box is brand flipping new. They told me I would lose local channels if I didn’t upgrade. I did. I lost local channels anyways. So, they lied about that. They brought extra equipment. They brought the wrong remotes. I asked for the proper remotes, they sent an extra Genie. Then they tried to charge me for not sending it back AFTER they had already received it back. Fact number one, I have a real problem with phone calls, (many letters and words sound the same on the phone especially when you are speaking to someone for whom English is not their native language) and apparently there is no other way to communicate with them. (I originally hoped this would be one, but I guess not.) The representatives while not outright rude, are not good communicators. They ask a question and the second you start to answer, they talk over you. They talk fast. They don’t understand. It isn’t that I am a snob about language, but English is the only one I know. Americans are too stupid to learn another language. In the past 4 months, I have had to call 4 different times and spent approximately 3 hours talking to someone who isn’t listening. They cannot be listening while they are talking. Naturally, they never told me that I could attach an antenna to the box. Why would they do that when they can just continue to frustrate me? And, yes, that is hours as, in 180 minutes, give or take a very few. I had not looked at the back of the box. Right now, I have an antenna attached to the television. I have to watch local tv in one room, and directv in the other. Is it more seamless attached to the box? Will I still have to toggle the source, and use the television’s remote? Do you know, that I have spent more time with them on the phone in the last 4 months than in the previous 10 years. This is ALL AT&T. It was never this bad before. The past 4 months have made me much less inclined to be nice to them, because why? What’s the point? They are not being nice to me. Or helpful in any conceivable way. They are not making my account a better experience. They advertise that they include local channels. They advertise that they carry all of the NFL games. They are not doing those things. By the way, DirecTv and Nexstar are both saying it’s the other guy’s fault, so there is no negotiation going on.  I just have issues with hearing and language. I can see just fine, that they are both being stubborn. And, as DirecTv is the one who collects my money, I see them as the ones responsible for fulfilling the obligations that they advertise. Is there any way you could tell me exactly what to do?  Why is this forum the language police?

DirecTV started shutting down the old MPEG-2 (SD only) feeds as of April 2019. Going forward all of us need MPEG-4 (SD and HD capable) boxes to continue using the service. Usually this is what agents are referring to about swapping/upgrading boxes to continue getting locals. But that applies to all MPEG-2, not just locals.

The MPEG swap is separate from negotiations. DirecTV and Nexstar Media Group (an affiliate station owner of CBS, NBC, etc. across the country) are negotiating their next carriage deal. Unfortunately a new agreement wasn't reached by the time the existing one ended, so Nexstar chose to remove the feed (as is their right) until negotiations complete. This negotiation is separate from the one with CBS, which recently completed, as that network owns a few stations directly (and the Smithsonian channel). Though each side wants to put themselves in the better light, they are still negotiating. Perception of them to the consumer (us customers) is part of negotiations.

The NFL Sunday Ticket has access to all out-of-market games during the season. However any game that is in-market for you, so showing on a local channel, is blacked out on the Sunday Ticket. Negotiations do not change where the NFL allows you to watch the game. So DirecTV does carry all the NFL in-season games via the Sunday Ticket, but it depends on in or out of market if you watch on the Sunday Ticket or a local channel instead.

Currently they are testing their Local Channel Connector (LCC) which is an accessory to connect a regular antenna to the 2nd or 3rd generation Genie (HR44 or HR54). Though in testing, they have made it available to many in an area affected by negotiations. It does come with a simple indoor antenna, but you can connect your own if you want. This allows you to watch the free broadcast of your locals through your DirecTV box, meaning no switching of inputs and can still record them. You would need to call DirecTV to see if they can order you one. Because of being in testing plus very much requested during these negotiations, stock is probably low.

As for the your question on the "language police", well though it is a public forum, it is owned and moderated by AT&T so they do occasionally edit posts that violate their forum rules. They understand people may be upset, but want any posts here to have some decency or politeness.

So I would call DirecTV and see if you can get the LCC, provided you have a compatible model. Though they are not required to give one, you could certainly see about any credit they might provide as a courtesy because of how long the negotiation has occurred. Your package only provide access to locals without guaranteeing any specific ones since they don't own the channels. And realistically a local or two will be a small part of your bill. The issue is that as each channel owner raises rates over the years, it all adds up in the end. That is why I personally suggest the free broadcast (for those that can), especially if they can pick up an LCC, as why should TV providers and we customers pay more everytime for channels that are free over the normal airways. From my perspective I didn't go to pay TV for locals but quite the opposite, because I wanted what my locals couldn't provide.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

Your message Language. It let you tell me not to be a J E R  K,(how come you can say that, but I can't?) but it wouldn’t let me tell you I’m not an I D I O T. That’s not a bad word unless you scream it at someone else. H E double hockey sticks isn’t a bad word either. It’s a place. Maybe not a physical place, but a place all the same.

Is there any way to order one of those things without calling them? Because I would rather pull my own teeth with pliers than call them again. I didn’t subscribe for locals either, but I’m old and I need the seamless. Televisions are not standardized. Every remote is different. The worst part, is they all use different little pictures, and I never learned how to read hieroglyphics. I read words. Most of the games that are important to me, come on the Nexstar CBS channel. So, they will all be blocked out. If the local is such a small part of my bill, why can’t they just make the deal? They have no problem increasing it to me. I’m paying enough already, I can’t afford Sunday Ticket.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

5 years ago

Unfortunately, my CBS is a Nexstar owned affiliate. Someday!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

We have been waiting since April for news about U-verse reinstating NFL Network/Red Zone.  What is the status?  I don’t want to scale back my services with ATT to pay for Sling JUST to watch Sunday football.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Good Morning,

As an Uverse customer for over 10+ years that's an unacceptable answer for
myself as well as other customers. We pay to much for your services not to
have the services that we want. With football being the favorite sport in
my household we will be looking at other options now, because it's obvious
that AT&T is not about pleasing its customer's. A very upset customer.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

It is incomprehensible to me that as a long time DIRECTV customer that I am unable to watch the channels I am paying for, more specifically my local NBC channel. I have stayed a customer even with the regular increases in my satellite bill over the years. I have always touted DIRECTV over DISH and any other option, but I am seriously rethinking that position given the past dispute with CBS and the current dispute with NBC. Are you really willing to risk losing paying customers over a dispute on local channels??? While I like having the options of the higher channels, I still watch the local channels to keep informed in my local community.  I now see DIRECTV taking the path of the cable providers in overcharging and under delivering services. 

Signed, 

Very disappointed customer

Mentor

• 

35 Messages

5 years ago

Awesome, they might give a 'courtesy' credit to the consumer, while they
are no longer paying Nexstar and pocketing that expense instead of passing
it on. That is the problem with corporations today and their puppets, they
see a credit as a 'courtesy' instead of an obligation.

But you keep telling us how ATT is working hard for the consumer and you
aren't their puppet.

ACE - Expert

• 

32K Messages

5 years ago

Agreement between Nexstar Media Group and DirecTV was coming up so they started negotiating.

New agreement was not reached when current one ended.

Nexstar chose to remove the feed (as is their right) to leverage customers for any further rate hikes.

DirecTV would accept the feed during negotiations, if it didn't come with a higher rate for the extension.

The backup would be using a regular antenna on your TV for the free local broadcasts that you can get no matter what pay TV provider you have. If you have the 2nd or 3rd generation Genie (HR44 or HR54), then call DirecTV and see if they will send you their Local Channel Connector (LCC). Allows you to use antenna through your DirecTV box so you don't have to switch inputs. Even comes with a simple indoor antenna to get you started.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

5 years ago

@Lovell

They didnt break anything in the contract, perhaps you should take a moment to read the terms of service on your contract. Ill same you some time and post the pertinent information below

(d) Our Programming Changes.

Many factors affect the availability, cost and quality of programming and may influence the decision to raise prices and the amount of any increase. These include, among others, programming and other costs, consumer demand, market and shareholder expectations, and changing business conditions. Accordingly, we reserve the unrestricted right to change, rearrange, add or delete our programming packages, the selections in those packages, our prices, technologies used to deliver the Service, and any other Service we offer, at any time.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.