Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Loss of channels

Loss of channels

AT&T has failed to properly prepare for the  anticipated end of contract negotiation with Nexstar - resulting in the loss of ABC station, a MAJOR network. This continues to happen, as in the past, when other channels were removed from the lineup - as your customers continue to pay increased costs in service. We set up another TV(purchased an antennae) that would give us this basic channel for the interim - assuming we will get the channel back at some time in the future!  I think it's time to contact other providers who can provide continuing service that we PAY for and don't get with AT&T.

Message 347 of 1,652
ACE - Expert

Re: Local Channels

@Gateway63 wrote:

What the heck is up with not only losing one local station, but now two?  Channel 8 was where all the golf

was broadcast, and I can't tell you how frustrating this is.  If Nexstar wants more money give it to them!  Also getting pretty sick of losing signals with a little rain.  I can understand ice, heavy snow, or a torrential downpour, but c'mon AT&T.  You will definitely be losing customers if you can't get these issues resolved, especially the local channels of 8 and 13.  Have been watching them for over 50 years and want them back!

Here we go again Smiley Sad

Realize that the corporation that owns the stations pulled your channel, not DirecTV. This is an all too common negotiating tactic used by these corporations to extort more money from TV service providers.  None are immune, so even switching providers won't help.

You will need to use an off-air antenna until they allow DirecTV to provide them again. If you can receive the station with an off-air antenna, this is a good time to request DirecTV’s Local Channel Connector (if you have HR44/HR54). It’s free. And some folks are getting a credit on their account, too. Call DirecTV …. 1 800 531 5000 

You'll also want to contact the corporation that owns these stations. Request that they allow DirecTV to continue carrying them while negotiations continue. And ask them why providers like Dish, DirecTV and Comcast must pay them anything when they get to use our public airwaves for FREE?!?  After all, these service providers increase their overall viewership and advertising revenue.  They're shooting themselves in the foot!

The FCC and Congress could easily fix this. Just allow service providers to deliver an out-of-area station when local stations get greedy. But I fear that the broadcast TV lobby is too powerful to ever let that happen.

Keep up on the latest updates at https://tvpromise.att.com/

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 541 of 1,652
ACE - Expert

Re: Local Channels

Your dish needs to realigned as you shouldn't be losing the signal in light rain.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 542 of 1,652
Mentor

Re: Not getting local NBC affiliate; DirecTVPromise.com site doesn't work

I read most of this thread, before commenting on the missing channels I will say there is no way the below comment is accurate:

ACEs are customers too, NOT employees. Answers are based on experience. I strive to give honest answers, even if not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

There is not a single ACE comment that is not pro ATT so there is no way these individuals are not biased toward the service provider. They may not be direct employees but there is certainly some connection between the two.

This is pretty much standard business practice these days, two greedy corporations trying to make us believe the other is the one causing the problem. The bottom line is I pay ATT and I should not learn a channel has been pulled by going to that channel and seeing a message blaming someone else for pulling it. Nexstar did not pull it' from the line up, ATT and Nexstar failed to reach an agreement. To imply that is 100% Nexstar's fault is insulting the intelligence of your customer base. If you do not want to pay for the 'free' local channels and raise our rates for them, then don't offer them and suggest your consumers get them through an alternative method.

Message 543 of 1,652

One of them is lying.

So either AT&T or Nextstar is lying about extending the current contract during negotiations. 

AT&T's TVPROMISE says this: 

Nexstar has removed its channels from your lineup even though we offered Nexstar more money to keep them available to you. Nexstar simply said no and elected to remove them from your lineups instead, putting you in the middle of its negotiations.

My local station, WCMH Channel 4 in Columbus posted this: 

Q: Are you still negotiating with AT&T and DIRECTV?

A: We were negotiating and offered to extend our current deal multiple times while we vigorously attempted to provide both sides more time to reach a fair agreement.  In the time leading up to the expiration of the agreement with DIRECTV/AT&T, Nexstar not only offered an extension until August 2, it also offered DIRECTV/AT&T its availability “over the next 30 days to meet with you in-person on the following dates:  July 12, 13, 14, 15, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 as well as August 1 and 2” adding, “We are willing to dedicate as many of these dates as needed.  Not knowing when you and your decision makers are available, to avoid any disruption in service to your customers and our viewers in 97 markets across the country, we propose an extension of the current agreement through Friday August 2nd.”  This extension was not accepted.

They can't both be true. 

Message 544 of 1,652
ACE - Expert

Re: NBC-CW and Windy

The channels control their feed and turned it off whenever it suited them so how can DTV tell you about it and why didn't the channel warn you?

Message 545 of 1,652
Mentor

Re: Local channels

It's my understanding that Nexstar offerred to continue the current contract till Aug 2nd while negations continued.  It was Directv that pulled the channels.  This makes sense since we heard nothing of this till the channels were gone.

Message 546 of 1,652
ACE - Expert

@satdaddy wrote:

It's my understanding that Nexstar offerred to continue the current contract till Aug 2nd while negations continued.  It was Directv that pulled the channels.  This makes sense since we heard nothing of this till the channels were gone.

Of course NexStar has every reason to say that. There are two sides to every story. I've seen this exact situation play out in way too many cities with way too many greedy station owners that I'm more inclined to believe AT&T's side of the story. Service providers like DirecTV have no incentive to pull a channel. It's simply NexStar trying to pressure their viewers to pressure the TV service provider.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 547 of 1,652
ACE - Expert

DTV can't remove a channel if they get the feed for that channel they have to send it to you as that is what the contract says they have to do.  Your channel is trying to confuse the issue to blame DTV.

Message 548 of 1,652
Contributor

Frustrating!!! Please put the local channel back on!

Message 549 of 1,652
Contributor

Loss of customers!

Not providing channel 8 my local station. 

You will loose my business!

Message 550 of 1,652
ACE - Expert

Complain to the channel and their owners.

Message 551 of 1,652
Contributor

So then if someone else owns the channel, explain to us why we are paying AT&T every month to use the owners channels?? What is the point of AT&T and all the “sorry’s for the inconveniences” from AT&T paying customers have to endure????? I want a refund on my bill for services I am not receiving that I am paying for from AT&T. So much for our planned evening for watching the Daytona 500 tonight. 

Message 552 of 1,652
Contributor

Re: Not getting local NBC affiliate; DirecTVPromise.com site doesn't work

Correct! We tried to remedy the loss of the NFL Network- we’ll not work that hard any longer. While I’ve got them on the phone completely dropping all cable and internet services with them ( we’re going with multiple smaller companies and completely ignoring llandline), we will be switching 3 of our 7 cell lines to sprint. As the others are paid off, they’ll be switched too. I swear this is my last go-round with the company formerly known as AT&T!

Message 553 of 1,652
Highlighted
Contributor

NASCAR Daytona race

I am furious I have been 100%loyal to ATT for many years this losing the feed for our local channels is unforgivable. I spend $350.00 per month on U-verse internet Tv and cell phones my whole extended family followed my choice for a. Provider, guess it’s time for a big change. I paid the high prices for premium device. No loyalty on your part.

Message 554 of 1,652
Contributor

NBC

Y can't I get NBC

Message 555 of 1,652
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support