Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Not getting local NBC affiliate; DirecTVPromise.com site doesn't work

Loss of channels

AT&T has failed to properly prepare for the  anticipated end of contract negotiation with Nexstar - resulting in the loss of ABC station, a MAJOR network. This continues to happen, as in the past, when other channels were removed from the lineup - as your customers continue to pay increased costs in service. We set up another TV(purchased an antennae) that would give us this basic channel for the interim - assuming we will get the channel back at some time in the future!  I think it's time to contact other providers who can provide continuing service that we PAY for and don't get with AT&T.

Message 347 of 2,209
Contributor

Well said.  They need to honor their contact and PAY THE MONEY to restore the local channels they have been taking 

money for and not providing to their loyal customers.  The Direct contract seems only to serve Direct TV. 

Message 30 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

It is the channel that removed their signal and DTV is paying them.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

@Alsinore wrote:

Well said.  They need to honor their contact and PAY THE MONEY to restore the local channels they have been taking 

money for and not providing to their loyal customers.  The Direct contract seems only to serve Direct TV. 

You're off base, @Alsinore.  It's the local station owners that keep getting more and more greedy, demanding more money from providers like Dish, DirecTV, Comcast, etc.  I'm very happy that DirecTV and other providers are playing hardball with these station owners.  Ideally Congress should grant providers the right to give us an out-of-area substitute. That would stop these greedy owners in their tracks. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

Channel pulls its feed as there is no current contract. They are negotiating for a new one. Local affiliate wants to raise costs, which means raising bills further. If you want to pay increased cost on the locals for the rest of us, go ahead and tell them. I however don't want increased cost on top of everything else.

Directv, like all pay TV providers, cannot guarantee that you get any specific locals for any length of time. They don't own them. Directv will provide you the local when/if the local affiliate gives the permission back. Until then you can use their free broadcast.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 33 of 2,209
Contributor

Isn't this considered breech of contract?

Message 34 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

DTV and all providers have a clause in the contract that states that the channels and programing can change at anytime so no it is not a breach.

Message 35 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

@Grandfield

Sorry, there is no breach of contract. Directv cannot force any channel to stay because they don't own the channels. This is why all TV providers have in their terms that channels are subject to change. Directv provides you locals for your DMA as allowed by the FCC per your zip code. However there is no guarantee of getting every local in your area or any locals provided are there for life.

Sometimes channels change what number they are on, the networks rearrange which of their channels have certain programs, or a channel gets completely shut down (recently Chiller for example). This is why no TV provider can guarantee any channel for any length of time. If the channel changes, doesn't agree to continue being carried by Directv, or completely goes out of business then that is what you have to live with.

For reference regarding any current negotiations with locals: http://directvpromise.com/keeping-you-connected-to-your-local-stations/

Message 36 of 2,209
Tutor

I don't know about who's doing what with NBC butt we all pay all this money to have our local channels and that means all of them and if we do not and I speak for everybody we do not get our local channels back we will be forced to drop DirecTV and go elsewhere

Message 37 of 2,209
Contributor

We just had the same message come up for our NBC network. EVERY year we go through this. We live in Nevada BUT we can not get any Nevada stations. I switched a few years ago from Dish because when I call DirecTv they promised me (yes it was recorded) that we could get the Reno stations. The installer came, hooked us up and WHAM no Nevada network channels and when I told him that I was told I could get the Reno stations he informed me that in fact no I couldn't as our area is covered by the Salt Lake City, Utah channels!! I DON'T CARE what goes on in Utah!! When I called the customer service rep said yes we are in SLC Utah jurisdiction. When I informed her that wasn't what I was told when I switched she said in so many words that what I said was not true. I then informed her it was recorded so she should look that up and listen. To compensate they took 10.00 off my bill for a year. BUT my bill continues to go up up up!! I think this is the final straw, going back to DISH!!!

Message 38 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

The FCC determines what locals you get, DTV has no say in it and the same with Dish and all TV providers.

Message 39 of 2,209
Highlighted
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Digital Assistant (Digital Assistant)
Accepted by ATTForumsBot
‎11-08-2019 10:26 AM

@bigmama55

You are never guaranteed all your locals. Some locals Directv may not have an agreement with, or agreement ended before new one reached so local affiliate is withholding their channel from Directv (as is the local's right) in order to get paid more (in turn raising our bill). Also remember an over-the-air (OTA) antenna picks up all the free locals within range, but satellite TV is regulated by the FCC to only provide was is in your Designated Market Area (DMA) which is based on your physical address. So a regular antenna may pick up locals from a neighboring market that are not technically for your address.

Tags (1)
Message 40 of 2,209
Contributor

Can someone at least give us an update on how the negotiations are going if at all!!

Message 41 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

This is a customer to customer forum no one here knows what DTV is doing.

Message 42 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

@Xtratired wrote:

Can someone at least give us an update on how the negotiations are going if at all!!

No. Nobody here knows that information.  And DirecTV never discusses on-going contract negotiations. 

Message 43 of 2,209
ACE - Expert

...and your NBC affiliate won'ttell you either

Message 44 of 2,209
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support