Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Not getting local NBC affiliate; DirecTVPromise.com site doesn't work

Loss of channels

AT&T has failed to properly prepare for the  anticipated end of contract negotiation with Nexstar - resulting in the loss of ABC station, a MAJOR network. This continues to happen, as in the past, when other channels were removed from the lineup - as your customers continue to pay increased costs in service. We set up another TV(purchased an antennae) that would give us this basic channel for the interim - assuming we will get the channel back at some time in the future!  I think it's time to contact other providers who can provide continuing service that we PAY for and don't get with AT&T.

Message 347 of 2,190
Tutor

Not getting local NBC affiliate; DirecTVPromise.com site doesn't work

I just had DirecTV installed 2 days ago. Today I've had trouble all day getting my local NBC channel. I was assured by DirecTV I'd get local channels. The screen says: 

"The owner of this channel has removed it from the DIRECT line-up despite our repeated requests to keep it available to you.

Please visit DirecTVPromise.com for the latest and most accurate information on this station's return."

Adding to my frustration: DirecTVPromise.com won't connect. So I can't get the promised info.

Has anyone else had this issue with local programming? Have you been able to connect with the DirecTVPromise site? Any suggestions what to do? Thanks.

Message 1 of 2,190
Highlighted

Where is my General Hospital ??????<br>How can you just stop NBC<br>Been watching general hospital for 40 years<br>

Message 2 of 2,190
Tutor

C'money guys! Aren't you rich enough?
Message 3 of 2,190
Teacher

I specifically stated at sign up that I must have my local channel 13. If this is not resolved immediately, I promise to drop my direct TV and at&t.
Message 4 of 2,190
ACE - Master

I have no idea why someone decided to resurrect a 9 month dead thread or think any of these comments make sense, but regardless, this forum is for DirecTV Now, not DirecTV.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 2,190
ACE - Expert

Directv does not own the local channels and cannot force them to stay on. When their agreement comes up some locals demand more money from Directv, which means more cost to the customer, for their broadcast. Ask yourself, why should costs go up for you free over-the-air (OTA) channel?

Contact the local affiliate that is being greedy. In the meantime plug in an OTA antenna to your tv, they still work! You don't go to a pay tv provider for your free locals. Switching is not the answer as all tv providers go through these negotiations or do you plan to switch every time one of your channels wants to raise cost?

Sometimes more information may be found at www.directvpromise.com which has a section specific for local negotiations. In the end there are 3 main possibilities though: Channel owner chooses to not continue negotiations, they are in the middle of negotiations (sometimes the local will choose to go "dark" to try and leverage customers by upsetting them, annoying but legal), or negotiations have completed successfully.

So use your OTA antenna for your free locals, and enjoy the national channels you actually went to Directv for.

@Jsjjsj

If you truly cannot live without a local then use an OTA antenna like we have done for years. You don't need a pay tv provider for that. And remember this will not affect any service agreement/early cancellation fee you may have as channel negotiations come and go because tv providers do not own the channels so cannot force them to stay on because you don't like the situation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 2,190
Contributor

I went to watch the news tonight and it said the same.
Message 7 of 2,190
Tutor

You can also download the NBC app .
I'm watching days now . Lol
It's free
Message 8 of 2,190
Tutor

Best Buy sells an attenna cost 20$ plugs to the back of your tv.. also comes in handy when weather is bad . Cause 13 is the one to watch 👊🖐⚡️
Also NBC has a free app. Nighty news is in the line up,
I just downloaded it so I could watch my soap .
Days our our lives.
WTHR needs to charger advertiser more . And not go after the consumer !!!!!
I hope this helps
Message 9 of 2,190
Teacher

Thanks kudos, thats my show too.
Message 10 of 2,190
ACE - Expert

Then the advertisers raise the price of their products so the consumer still pays more.

Message 11 of 2,190
Tutor

Do you all realize that streaming everything through Sling or ROKU will soon put you all out of business????  I think you should honor the contract that you have with your customer and supply all of the local stations as promised regardless of how much of a pay cut it means to your CEO.

Message 12 of 2,190
ACE - Expert

Directv is honoring the contract with you. All tv providers have in their terms that channels are subject to change. So you are never guaranteed how long a specific channel may be available. Streaming is strong, which is why they also came out with a new separate service called DirectvNOW, but it will not put them out of business. Too many people do not have good enough internet (or no internet at all) to make use of streaming services. Probably won't see a good enough countrywide internet in our lifetime to make that an issue for satellite tv.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 13 of 2,190
Contributor

I am trying to figure this out about NBC why do you want more money for your station I will just go to another cable company drop direct tv

Message 14 of 2,190
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support