Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Loss of channel 1002 ABC

Loss of channel 1002 ABC

AT&T has failed to properly prepare for the  anticipated end of contract negotiation with Nexstar - resulting in the loss of ABC station, a MAJOR network. This continues to happen, as in the past, when other channels were removed from the lineup - as your customers continue to pay increased costs in service. We set up another TV(purchased an antennae) that would give us this basic channel for the interim - assuming we will get the channel back at some time in the future!  I think it's time to contact other providers who can provide continuing service that we PAY for and don't get with AT&T.

Message 347 of 1,024
Contributor

Re: NBC channel off

Are we the customers, going now to get our bills reduced, since AT&T no longer has to pay NBC for their services? Yet another channel AT&T customers have lost, yet I see no reduction in the price I pay as a AT&T customer!

Message 75 of 1,024
ACE - Expert

You didn't read the part in contract where it says that programing and channels are subject to change at anytime, when they reach an agreement DTV will still have to pay them the full amount.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 76 of 1,024
Tutor

It doesn’t matter anymore because I can watch all of my favorite tv shows
on HULU.

Also, you didn’t have to be salty. I didn’t think I would have to read the
fine print for something that’s free to me.
--
Christine C K[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Message 77 of 1,024
ACE - Expert

@CKenneth wrote:

I just noticed that I am no longer getting Channel 9 NBC. The message says “the owner of this channel has removed it from your lineup despite our request to keep it available to you. We share your frustration and regret any inconvenience. “

Check current status: https://tvpromise.att.com/

Simple negotiation. Station owner (of the local affiliate, not the network NBC) agreement came up and they want to raise costs. As a negotiating tactic, they have pulled the feed (as is their right, they own the channel) to leverage customers against the TV provider (in this case DirecTV). This is standard in the industry.

DirecTV cannot force them back on. Only when both sides come to an agreement will the owner of your local affiliate return the feed to DirecTV.

There is no credit for this situation as no TV provider can guarantee any channel always being there. That is why they have in their terms that programming/channels can change at any time.

What should be considered is why must TV providers, and us customers by way of our bills, pay more and more over time for local channels that are free over-the-air (OTA)? I say plug in a regular antenna to get the free broadcast, including any other channels in range. What can also be done is to call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 and see if the negotiation in your area qualifies you to get a free Local Channel Connector (LCC). This allows connecting a regular antenna to your Genie so that you can get the locals within range directly through your DirecTV box (not having to switch TV inputs) and can still record from them. This is something that is being done to fight against the ever increase costs from these local affiliate owners.

Most of us go to a pay TV provider for the national channels not otherwise available, not our free locals. And no TV provider is immune to this situation as they all go through it at times. Hopefully this one doesn't go to long, but there are alternatives that can be used in the meantime.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 78 of 1,024
Tutor

How can I get a free antenna to get the free broadcast for my local
channels?
--
[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Message 79 of 1,024
ACE - Expert

@CKenneth wrote:
How can I get a free antenna to get the free broadcast for my local
channels?
--

Try calling DirecTV and ask about the "Local Channel Connector" (LCC) kit. It's only available in areas suffering from local channel contract disputes. 

1 800 531 5000

Message 80 of 1,024
Contributor

NBC

Very angry about NBC being pulled from Direct TV!  We are keeping up our end of Direct TV contract by paying our bill in full each month.....How about AT&T keeps up their contract promise of having NBC in the lineup of channels we are PAYING FOR !!! This is totally unacceptable. How about we knock off $10.00 each month from what we normally are billed to compensate for the lack of NBC Programming? 

Message 81 of 1,024
ACE - Expert

Re: NBC

NBC is the one that removed their feed to DTV because DTV will not pay them what they are asking to renew the contract.  DTV/AT&T and all other providers have a clause in their contracts that states that programs and channels are subject to change at anytime.  If you have an HR44/54 Genie DTV may send you their LCC device and the included flat antenna maybe able to add your locals to the DTV guide.

Message 82 of 1,024
Contributor

NBC

When will NBC return? Not happy!

Message 83 of 1,024
ACE - Expert

Ask the owner of your local station. They are the ones who pulled their channel, only they know. I’m watching NBC now, no issue with my locals.

Message 84 of 1,024
ACE - Expert

@Pjursing wrote:

When will NBC return? Not happy!

When the owner of the local affiliate returns the feed to DirecTV.

For more details, including to find out the affiliate owner: https://tvpromise.att.com/

Message 85 of 1,024
ACE - Expert

@CouchTater18 wrote:

Very angry about NBC being pulled from Direct TV!  We are keeping up our end of Direct TV contract by paying our bill in full each month.....How about AT&T keeps up their contract promise of having NBC in the lineup of channels we are PAYING FOR !!! This is totally unacceptable. How about we knock off $10.00 each month from what we normally are billed to compensate for the lack of NBC Programming? 

All TV providers have in their terms that programming and channels are subject to change. Since they don't own the channels, they cannot force the channel to provide the feed. As such they will not be knocking off $10 for a single channel. You could certainly call and ask about any discounts your account might be able to receive, but you are not entitled to one.

DirecTV/AT&T did not pull NBC.

What actually is happening is the owner of the local NBC affiliate (not NBC itself) pulled the feed as a negotiating tactic to try and further raise costs. Once both sides come to an agreement, then the local affiliate will return the feed.

Since these local affiliates are free over the airways, why must TV providers (and us customers by way of our bills) keep having to pay these increased rates? I say use a antenna and get the free broadcast. For those with DirecTV, ask about their Local Channel Connector (LCC) to put the free broadcast through the DirecTV equipment for convenience.

Message 86 of 1,024
Tutor

As far as I’m concerned, the only people getting screwed is the viewers.
But if you have Hulu you can NBC that way.
--
[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Message 87 of 1,024
ACE - Expert

@CKenneth wrote:
As far as I’m concerned, the only people getting screwed is the viewers.
But if you have Hulu you can NBC that way.

This is what the local affiliate counts own. They pull the feed hoping enough people will complain and get DirecTV to cave to the proposed rate increase. If people would realize that such rate increases come back and affect our bills, then I think they would be more patient with negotiations, or possibly complain to the local affiliate that is trying to get costs raised.

And getting NBC on a streaming option is fine, but remember that is usually the national feed from the Network, not anything personalized for your area as the local affiliate does. This is why I recommend using the free broadcast, preferably with DirecTV's LCC.

Message 88 of 1,024
Highlighted
Tutor

NBC no longer available

I've had u verse for over a year and they failed to complete negotiations with NBC and indicated we may never get this channel back. She said it's only one channel but it's my wife's favorite channel and I also talked my parents into changing from comcast to u verse. They are in breach of contract and i will probably talk to a lawyer. I have 5 phones also with at&t. This is the most unprofessional thing I've ever encountered with a company 

Message 89 of 1,024
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support