Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

Contributor

Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

I greatly appreciate the value provided by AT&T in bundling tv/wireless/internet services.  Similarly, the bundling of channels allows customers to access a variety of programming at substantial savings.

However, occasionally, programming comes along that is so expensive and directed at such a narrow, niche market that it deserves to be left off of the programming options or ordered solely as an 'a la carte' option.  If the reports about the price tag  to cable providers  to offer the 'longhorn network' (by ESPN) are accurate, the only way it could be added to current bundled programming packages is at substantial cost to MANY people who have no interest in the programming. 

Please AT&T, keep prices low, by either not offering or charging ONLY those who desire this programming option.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 380 (12,296 Views)
Tutor

Re: Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

All of the ranting about "forcing down my throat" and "Im switching to someone who doesn't make me pay for something I dont want" is laughable and seems to me to be extremely hypocritical. 

One day you wil finally wake up and realize that you probably watch 20-30 channels on average per month. That means that there are TONS of channels that are being "forced down your throat." But if all of those other channels were not there, you would be complaining that your bill was too high. Cable companies are about content. Niche or not. I dont watch soccer, and I dont speak spanish. Should I come on here and bash spanish speaking americans and soccer lovers because I am "supporting soccer and spanish speakers" by paying a little extra on my bill? I would be banned for hate speech if I came on here and said some of the things some of you are saying. RELAX everyone and enjoy 100's of channels you pay for, but dont watch. 

Message 166 of 380 (1,079 Views)

squirk wrote:

I am a U-verse subscriber as of March of 2010.  I am also a Texas Tech alumni.   I will drop U-verse all together if TLN requires me to spend one red cent more than I am already paying.  I do not see how this is not illegal with all the nonsense the NCAA says you can and can't do.

No it is not jealousy, I don't want a Texas Tech network either.  I would like a Big 12 Network. 

It's perfectly legal for individual schools to make their own TV contracts - ask Notre Dame and NBC.  (IIRC, sometime in the 1980s, the Supreme Court ruled that the NCAA could not control universities' TV contracts, although I don't know if that included potential broadcast bans as punishments.) Also, I think BYU's channel includes sports in its broadcasts.

As for why Texas even gets its own network, I apologize if I am reposting something from the thread, but "the version I heard was," the Big 12 agreed to it in exchange for Texas not leaving the conference, which many people feel would have resulted in the Big 12 going the way of the SWC.  (I think Texas feels that it has "caved in" enough with agreeing not to air high school football games on the channel.)

One question I have is, what can TLN air?  Most Big 12 sports' rights are owned by either ABC, ESPN, or FSN (which, according to the Big 12 website, is why there is no "Big 12 Network" channel).

Message 167 of 380 (1,048 Views)
ACE - Professor

Dread Pirate Roberts wrote:

dwinth wrote:

Whitepaladin wrote:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/236595386383586/

How long have you had this Facebook group? I see that you only have three members. I also checked your Facebook page, and saw that you are a Texas Tech supporter. 

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Hahahahaha Smiley Very Happy

DPR

DPR: I just checked his anti- Longhorn Network Facebook group again to see who the three members were. The three members are Whitepaladin himself, his son, and one other person. It does not seem like a very effective protest Facebook group.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 168 of 380 (1,043 Views)
Expert

That Don Guy wrote:

As for why Texas even gets its own network, I apologize if I am reposting something from the thread, but "the version I heard was," the Big 12 agreed to it in exchange for Texas not leaving the conference, which many people feel would have resulted in the Big 12 going the way of the SWC.  (I think Texas feels that it has "caved in" enough with agreeing not to air high school football games on the channel.) 

You are correct.  The Big 12 Conference agreed to allow Texas to create their own network last summer as part of the agreement that kept the Big 12 Conference together.  The 10 remaining schools also signed an agreement that they would remain in the Big 12 Conference for the next 10 years.  I think some of you may be awake of the fact that Texas A&M is now trying to get out of that agreement and move to the SEC.

Message 169 of 380 (1,038 Views)
Tutor

texasguy37 wrote:

That Don Guy wrote:

You are correct.  The Big 12 Conference agreed to allow Texas to create their own network last summer as part of the agreement that kept the Big 12 Conference together.  The 10 remaining schools also signed an agreement that they would remain in the Big 12 Conference for the next 10 years.  I think some of you may be awake of the fact that Texas A&M is now trying to get out of that agreement and move to the SEC.

No, there was no agreement signed by any B12 school to stay in the B12 for 10 years. The only thing that was signed was a new TV deal with Fox for second tier rights.

UT did not 'cave" on the high school games. The NCAA ruled that they could not show them. Then ESPN announced it would show HS highlights instead, to which the NCAA also responded would not be allowed.

Message 170 of 380 (1,034 Views)

[ Edited ]

Care to find and provide a link to this signed agreement,TG37?  Shouldn't be hard since you are so well-informed on this topic.

Message 171 of 380 (983 Views)
Expert

bdatkinson wrote:

Care to find and provide a link to this signed agreement,TG37?  Shouldn't be hard since you are so well-informed on this topic.

Sure.  From the article in the link below:

Wednesday, when Kansas University athletic director Lew Perkins made his first public comments since the Big 12’s survival became official, Perkins said that the 10 members of the new-look conference have signed an agreement to stay together for at least 10 years.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/jun/17/perkins-big-12s-10-here-long-haul/

Message 172 of 380 (962 Views)
Tutor

texasguy37 wrote:

bdatkinson wrote:

Sure.  From the article in the link below:

Wednesday, when Kansas University athletic director Lew Perkins made his first public comments since the Big 12’s survival became official, Perkins said that the 10 members of the new-look conference have signed an agreement to stay together for at least 10 years.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/jun/17/perkins-big-12s-10-here-long-haul/

"The remaining Big 12 programs made a 10-year pledge last summer, but signed no written agreement. Beebe suggested that a stronger, contractual pledge may be pursued. "

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/31878/deadline-coming-for-am-sec-decision

Message 173 of 380 (956 Views)
Expert

LOL.  So an oral agreement means nothing?  Smiley Wink

Message 174 of 380 (953 Views)
Tutor

Yes, an oral agreement means nothing in this case.

Message 175 of 380 (949 Views)
Expert

I guess when some people give their word it means something and other people giving their word means nothing! 

Message 176 of 380 (952 Views)
Tutor

texasguy37 wrote:

I guess when some people give their word it means something and other people giving their word means nothing! 

Ain't that the truth.

Message 177 of 380 (950 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well that is just not true no agreement has been made whatsoever for the conference to remain intact since Texas A&M is trying its darnedest to leave!

Message 178 of 380 (942 Views)
Contributor

I am midway through a one-year UVerse contract. If the Longhorn Network  is added to my package, I will drop UVerse at the end of that period and go with one of the other providers to the central Houston area.

Message 179 of 380 (923 Views)
Contributor

Good point. In fact, I'll use your rationale in other areas. I don't like supporting other people who are too lazy to get a job and so my money ends up going to provide them with food stamps. I want to write my representative and tell him "just say no."

Pfft. Nonsense. Don't like it? Leave AT&T. Easy as that.
Message 180 of 380 (918 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.