AustinTX#1's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 10:50 PM

Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

I greatly appreciate the value provided by AT&T in bundling tv/wireless/internet services.  Similarly, the bundling of channels allows customers to access a variety of programming at substantial savings.

However, occasionally, programming comes along that is so expensive and directed at such a narrow, niche market that it deserves to be left off of the programming options or ordered solely as an 'a la carte' option.  If the reports about the price tag  to cable providers  to offer the 'longhorn network' (by ESPN) are accurate, the only way it could be added to current bundled programming packages is at substantial cost to MANY people who have no interest in the programming. 

Please AT&T, keep prices low, by either not offering or charging ONLY those who desire this programming option.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

375 Messages

12 years ago

Longhorn network is now on channel 1609, you might have to reboot your stb.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

Here is the press release:

DALLAS – Just in time for Texas football season, ESPN and AT&T U-verse® TV, the fastest growing television provider in the country*, have announced that Longhorn Network will be available to U-verse TV customers in Texas and across the AT&T U-verse footprint. Longhorn Network is the 24/7 channel devoted to University of Texas athletics and academics as well as cultural programming from in and around the greater Austin community.

AT&T U-verse TV customers will have the Longhorn Network in time for kick off against Wyoming on Saturday, Sept. 1, at 7 p.m. central time live from Darrell K. Royal Memorial Stadium. Longhorn Network will be available for U-verse TV customers in Texas with the U200 package and aboveOutside of Texas, fans subscribing to the U-verse TV U450 package will have access to Longhorn Network’s exclusive programming. Longhorn Network will be available on channel 1609 in HD and channel 609 in SD.

“We know fans are passionate about watching Longhorn football, and we’re thrilled to offer Longhorn Network to U-verse TV customers in Texas and nationwide,” said Jeff Weber, President of Content and Advertising Services, AT&T Home Solutions. “This is another example of how we continue to deliver the content customers want.”

Added David Preschlack, executive vice president, Disney and ESPN Media Networks, “This agreement brings Longhorn Network and its robust lineup of University of Texas programming to more than a million Longhorn fans in Texas and throughout the country.”

Financial terms and other details of the agreement were not disclosed.

Other exclusive Longhorn Network programming includes the New Mexico vs. Texas football game the following Saturday, Sept. 8, at 7 p.m. as well as original programming like Longhorn Extra, Game Plan with Mack Brown, Texas All-Access, Texas GameDay and Texas GameDay Final.

As part of the agreement, at a future date, AT&T will also launch a live, linear feed of Longhorn Network online to subscribers via computers, smartphones and tablets.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2012/08/att-u-verse-longhorn-network/

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Glad someone is saying it, I also don't wish to subsidize the Longhorn Athletic Department through some kind of forced addition to my existing cable package.

If someone wants to add the channel as a separate charge then they are welcome to do so but please allow me to say no while continuing to be a satisfied subscriber of your service. 

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

From the article found in the link below:

Industry sources say that ESPN, which is selling the channel to cable operators, wants 40 cents per subscriber per month for placement on expanded basic cable tiers in Texas and various markets in three adjoining states: Louisiana, New Mexico and Oklahoma.

At 40 cents, Longhorn Network instantly would become one of the 30 or 40 highest priced cable channels. But the price is relatively low compared with regional sports networks, which frequently command more than $2. A similar channel, Big Ten Network, charged in-market distributors 70 cents for the right to carry its channel when it launched four years ago.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/06/27/Media/Longhorn-Network.aspx

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

13 years ago

Big 10 network carries the games of an entire conference, so its really absurd to compare the prices. Maybe if you divide the $0.70 the Big 10 network was charging by the number of teams that were available at that time (11) you get less than 7 cents per school.

So at 40 cents you are paying over 500% more per school to watch the longhorn network. NO THANK YOU!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Thanks for posting and I agree 100%.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I am an AT&T U-Verse customer in the Houston market and I agree with the sentiment that any subscription to the Longhorn Network should be voluntary and not bundled into already existing packages. Given that this network is targeted at a single community the network should only be offered to those who want it and not forced upon those who do not.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@vaughanjm wrote:
I am an AT&T U-Verse customer in the Houston market and I agree with the sentiment that any subscription to the Longhorn Network should be voluntary and not bundled into already existing packages. Given that this network is targeted at a single community the network should only be offered to those who want it and not forced upon those who do not.

I suppose one could use that argument about most of the channels in the U-verse lineup.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I agree.  Why not make it a pay-for channel like ESPN Gameplan or something?  That way those who want to watch it can pay for it, and the rest of us don't have to fund the channel's existence.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

Wow.  A parade of one time posters!  I detect a campaign!

http://www.facebook.com/college.sports.against.lhn

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.