Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

Contributor

Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

I greatly appreciate the value provided by AT&T in bundling tv/wireless/internet services.  Similarly, the bundling of channels allows customers to access a variety of programming at substantial savings.

However, occasionally, programming comes along that is so expensive and directed at such a narrow, niche market that it deserves to be left off of the programming options or ordered solely as an 'a la carte' option.  If the reports about the price tag  to cable providers  to offer the 'longhorn network' (by ESPN) are accurate, the only way it could be added to current bundled programming packages is at substantial cost to MANY people who have no interest in the programming. 

Please AT&T, keep prices low, by either not offering or charging ONLY those who desire this programming option.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 380 (12,285 Views)
Contributor

Re: Longhorn Network Tier?

Not U200 or under, I don't have it Smiley Sad((

Message 346 of 380 (2,759 Views)
Expert

Re: Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

thefaith333 wrote:

Didn't I tell yall U Verse was getting Longhorn Network?

and that it would happen Friday? 

Don't yall doubt my words, I know what I'm talking about.

Please understand that since AT&T never formally announces channel additions prior to the actual appearance of them in the channel lineup, any and all claims that are posted that a channel is coming have to be treated as unsubstantiated.

While I'm sure there are many Texas Longhorn fans who are very happy that this channel has actually arrived, be aware that in the history of this forum, most of the predictions and claims of soon-to-be-here channels that have been posted have all been eventually revealed as false.  Thus the skepticism.  It's not personal, it's just probabilities.

Message 347 of 380 (2,736 Views)
Expert
Solution
Accepted by texasguy37 (Expert)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Longhorn Network

Here is the press release:

DALLAS – Just in time for Texas football season, ESPN and AT&T U-verse® TV, the fastest growing television provider in the country*, have announced that Longhorn Network will be available to U-verse TV customers in Texas and across the AT&T U-verse footprint. Longhorn Network is the 24/7 channel devoted to University of Texas athletics and academics as well as cultural programming from in and around the greater Austin community.

AT&T U-verse TV customers will have the Longhorn Network in time for kick off against Wyoming on Saturday, Sept. 1, at 7 p.m. central time live from Darrell K. Royal Memorial Stadium. Longhorn Network will be available for U-verse TV customers in Texas with the U200 package and aboveOutside of Texas, fans subscribing to the U-verse TV U450 package will have access to Longhorn Network’s exclusive programming. Longhorn Network will be available on channel 1609 in HD and channel 609 in SD.

“We know fans are passionate about watching Longhorn football, and we’re thrilled to offer Longhorn Network to U-verse TV customers in Texas and nationwide,” said Jeff Weber, President of Content and Advertising Services, AT&T Home Solutions. “This is another example of how we continue to deliver the content customers want.”

Added David Preschlack, executive vice president, Disney and ESPN Media Networks, “This agreement brings Longhorn Network and its robust lineup of University of Texas programming to more than a million Longhorn fans in Texas and throughout the country.”

Financial terms and other details of the agreement were not disclosed.

Other exclusive Longhorn Network programming includes the New Mexico vs. Texas football game the following Saturday, Sept. 8, at 7 p.m. as well as original programming like Longhorn Extra, Game Plan with Mack Brown, Texas All-Access, Texas GameDay and Texas GameDay Final.

As part of the agreement, at a future date, AT&T will also launch a live, linear feed of Longhorn Network online to subscribers via computers, smartphones and tablets.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2012/08/att-u-verse-longhorn-network/

Message 348 of 380 (2,715 Views)
Scholar

"This is another example of how we continue to deliver the content customers want.”;

Please excuse me but I have a real problem with that statement. I have a feeling that Disney Jr, Hallmark, NHL, BBCAmerica, Beinsports and Pac 10 fanns will agree. I'm happy for Longhorn fans but this is not what I want. Up here in Ohio that channel will probably have a zero rating. Yes I definelly have a problem with that statement.

Message 349 of 380 (2,705 Views)
Expert

This isn't the day to rain on anyone's parade or be a wet blanket!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 350 of 380 (2,698 Views)
ACE - Expert

I think what finally made this possible was the split tiering.  TX residents get it on U200.   Others have to subscribe to U450.  That way Uverse has to pay ESPN for a much-reduced number of subscribers vs. it being available to everyone in the country.  Uverse may actually pick up one or two subscribers for U450 this way.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 351 of 380 (2,752 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

Ish Kabibble wrote:

"This is another example of how we continue to deliver the content customers want.”;

Please excuse me but I have a real problem with that statement. I have a feeling that Disney Jr, Hallmark, NHL, BBCAmerica, Beinsports and Pac 10 fanns will agree. I'm happy for Longhorn fans but this is not what I want. Up here in Ohio that channel will probably have a zero rating. Yes I definelly have a problem with that statement.

Well, I'm not really interested in any of the channels that you listed--or the Longhorn Network--but I know there are customers who wanted this content.  They can be happy.  You (and the Texas A&M fans) won't be.  Can't please everyone. Smiley Wink

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 352 of 380 (2,744 Views)
Scholar

JefferMC wrote:

I think what finally made this possible was the split tiering.  TX residents get it on U200.   Others have to subscribe to U450.  That way Uverse has to pay ESPN for a much-reduced number of subscribers vs. it being available to everyone in the country.  Uverse may actually pick up one or two subscribers for U450 this way.

You are probably right. I believe I read that TWC has split tiering for the Pac 10 network.

Message 353 of 380 (2,731 Views)

JefferMC wrote:

Ish Kabibble wrote:

Well, I'm not really interested in any of the channels that you listed--or the Longhorn Network--but I know there are customers who wanted this content.  They can be happy.  You (and the Texas A&M fans) won't be.  Can't please everyone. Smiley Wink

I have a soon to be 4yr old and I'm a hockey fan so both Disney Jr and NHL network would please me.  Definately not a fan of the university down in Austin, but if OU is playing them in other sports besides football then I may venture over there to watch.  Glad one hurdle has been jumped, now to quite the left coasters and get the Pac-12 network(s).

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 354 of 380 (2,586 Views)
Expert

Re: Longhorn network

Apparently you were right!

thefaith333 wrote:

Just got confirmation from a VERY RELIABLE SOURCE.

U-Verse WILL get LHN.

Official announcment of LHN being added to U-Verse will come by the end of the week, like Friday. 

Message 355 of 380 (2,455 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Yeah, I have the LHN on 1609 in the Central Ohio market with U450. I'll probably cutting my service back to U300! Smiley Very Happy

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.
Message 356 of 380 (2,329 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Yeah, I have the LHN on 1609 in the Central Ohio market with U450. I'll probably cutting my service back to U300! Smiley Very Happy

I turned it on yesterday to check it out. I'll probably never watch it again.

Message 357 of 380 (2,290 Views)
Master

Ish Kabibble wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Same here. Don't know if there's any other college teams which have their own separate network? Believe it's mainly leagues like the BTN (1650) channel here. Heck, the high schools here can barely get by financially, with lots of cutbacks, let alone building a $60M HS stadium in Allen, a suburb of Dallas. This story has been all over the national news and a 800 member HS band to boot! But the voters wanted it, willing to pay for the bond issue, so it's not being supported through an education/school levy.

Oh well, I remember visiting my mom years ago where she retired in NC and they would pull prime-time OTA programming to show local HS basketball!

Sorry for going a little off-topic.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.
Message 358 of 380 (2,267 Views)
ACE - Master

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Ish Kabibble wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Same here. Don't know if there's any other college teams which have their own separate network? Believe it's mainly leagues like the BTN (1650) channel here. Heck, the high schools here can barely get by financially, with lots of cutbacks, let alone building a $60M HS stadium in Allen, a suburb of Dallas. This story has been all over the national news and a 800 member HS band to boot! But the voters wanted it, willing to pay for the bond issue, so it's not being supported through an education/school levy.

Oh well, I remember visiting my mom years ago where she retired in NC and they would pull prime-time OTA programming to show local HS basketball!

Sorry for going a little off-topic.

Being that I grew up in Texas and Friday night football is ingrained into my brain, I didn't realize that local football (High School and/or college) would raise such ire.

I worked with an Aggie who lived and breathed the maroon & white.  I didn't get it but I knew to NEVER mention them and UT or Texas Tech in the same breath lest you get an entire lecture on the subject.

Message 359 of 380 (2,240 Views)

I'm pretty annoyed that Uverse decided to pick up this albatross of a network that destroyed the Big 12 and the best rivalry in college sports. I guess they figured people really wanted to watch a .500 team with no QB and follow it up with women's college volleyball and softball the rest of the year.

Message 360 of 380 (2,202 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.