AustinTX#1's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 10:50 PM

Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

I greatly appreciate the value provided by AT&T in bundling tv/wireless/internet services.  Similarly, the bundling of channels allows customers to access a variety of programming at substantial savings.

However, occasionally, programming comes along that is so expensive and directed at such a narrow, niche market that it deserves to be left off of the programming options or ordered solely as an 'a la carte' option.  If the reports about the price tag  to cable providers  to offer the 'longhorn network' (by ESPN) are accurate, the only way it could be added to current bundled programming packages is at substantial cost to MANY people who have no interest in the programming. 

Please AT&T, keep prices low, by either not offering or charging ONLY those who desire this programming option.

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Good point. In fact, I'll use your rationale in other areas. I don't like supporting other people who are too lazy to get a job and so my money ends up going to provide them with food stamps. I want to write my representative and tell him "just say no."

Pfft. Nonsense. Don't like it? Leave AT&T. Easy as that.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Hmm. So if OU get's its own network can I then echo your same battle cry? Pfft. Nonsense. Don't like it??? Leave then.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Are you serious?  If you are having trouble forking over $4/yr then maybe you should prioritize your spending.  I pay more than that on late fees.  Pulling the 500% argument is stretching it at best.  I'll gladly pay a whopping $10/yr to get the OU, OSU, or ORU network on board if that makes you feel better in exchange for the LHN.  I'd pay for A&M to have a channel too, but none of the networks want to strike a deal with A&M.  It doesn't matter if the Big 10 carries a whole conference.  I don't watch Big 10 games, and I was never given an option to include or exclude it from my programming.    

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Maybe the providers should start offering a true a la carte option that way some folks can get more programming that is suited to their personal tastes rather than this "ram it down your throat" option. I would love to watch the LHN, but until U-verse plays ball I'm left to watching the game at the bar.  Boo!  In all honesty, I don't think the LHN advantage is that great in comparison to other schools.  A&M was making a stink about nothing.  With all the supposed best talent in the state, Texas still consistently lost to OU and KState in football.  Good athletes help, but it's really all about coaching.

Scholar

• 

308 Messages

13 years ago

This has become the most tiresome thread ever!

Is there a single argument, pro or con, that has not been voiced ad nauseum?

Mods, for heaven's sake put an end to this one and kill any new variations.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

13 years ago

@bigbevo77 wrote:

All of the ranting about "forcing down my throat" and "Im switching to someone who doesn't make me pay for something I dont want" is laughable and seems to me to be extremely hypocritical. 

One day you wil finally wake up and realize that you probably watch 20-30 channels on average per month. That means that there are TONS of channels that are being "forced down your throat." But if all of those other channels were not there, you would be complaining that your bill was too high. Cable companies are about content. Niche or not. I dont watch soccer, and I dont speak spanish. Should I come on here and bash spanish speaking americans and soccer lovers because I am "supporting soccer and spanish speakers" by paying a little extra on my bill? I would be banned for hate speech if I came on here and said some of the things some of you are saying. RELAX everyone and enjoy 100's of channels you pay for, but dont watch. 

Thank you.  A voice of reason from a new poster. KUDOS to you.  I bleed Crimson and Cream, but I'm all for the LHN.  I may actually get to see my Sooners play UT in other sports besides Football and Basketball.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

This sounds like a done deal to me.

COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP) — Texas A&M has notified the Big 12 it will withdraw from the conference, according to a newspaper report.

@texasguy37 wrote:

That Don Guy wrote:

As for why Texas even gets its own network, I apologize if I am reposting something from the thread, but "the version I heard was," the Big 12 agreed to it in exchange for Texas not leaving the conference, which many people feel would have resulted in the Big 12 going the way of the SWC.  (I think Texas feels that it has "caved in" enough with agreeing not to air high school football games on the channel.) 

You are correct.  The Big 12 Conference agreed to allow Texas to create their own network last summer as part of the agreement that kept the Big 12 Conference together.  The 10 remaining schools also signed an agreement that they would remain in the Big 12 Conference for the next 10 years.  I think some of you may be aware of the fact that Texas A&M is now trying to get out of that agreement and move to the SEC.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I will just throw my two cents in...not that anyone at ATT cares as my conversation with customer service made clear this morning.  If they do not pick up the Longhorn Network before the Rice game on Saturday, then I will definitely take my $300 bill (and my $200 cell phone bill which I was thinking of moving to ATT) and go elsewhere.  Even if no one picks it up, I will move because ATT's customer service is and has always been horrible.

I have probably hundreds of channels that I could care less about and do not ever watch but I'm sure I'm paying carriage for them.  I haven't complained about that and now I can't get one more channel added.  I knew two years ago moving to ATT was a mistake but I thought I would give them a chance based on that 6 month intro package.  Should have moved when my year was up but have been just lazy.  Now I have a real reason to do it.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@thedude4211 wrote:

I will just throw my two cents in...not that anyone at ATT cares as my conversation with customer service made clear this morning.  If they do not pick up the Longhorn Network before the Rice game on Saturday, then I will definitely take my $300 bill (and my $200 cell phone bill which I was thinking of moving to ATT) and go elsewhere.  Even if no one picks it up, I will move because ATT's customer service is and has always been horrible

I'm not following your logic.  If you think AT&T Customer Service is horrible, why would you stay if the Longhorn Network is added by September 3rd, but leave if it is added after September 3rd?  It seems to me that you should already have left U-verse, and that what channels are carried would not be a factor.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

13 years ago

In that case, see ya! The only TV provider that has picked up the longhorn network so far is Verizon FIOS and AT&T and Virizion aren't in competing markets. Have fun with Comcast/TWC/Dish/Direct TV, whose customer service is regarded as worse than U-Verse's.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.