For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
AustinTX#1's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 10:50 PM

Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

I greatly appreciate the value provided by AT&T in bundling tv/wireless/internet services.  Similarly, the bundling of channels allows customers to access a variety of programming at substantial savings.

However, occasionally, programming comes along that is so expensive and directed at such a narrow, niche market that it deserves to be left off of the programming options or ordered solely as an 'a la carte' option.  If the reports about the price tag  to cable providers  to offer the 'longhorn network' (by ESPN) are accurate, the only way it could be added to current bundled programming packages is at substantial cost to MANY people who have no interest in the programming. 

Please AT&T, keep prices low, by either not offering or charging ONLY those who desire this programming option.

Thanks!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

@texasguy37 wrote:

@That Don Guy wrote:

As for why Texas even gets its own network, I apologize if I am reposting something from the thread, but "the version I heard was," the Big 12 agreed to it in exchange for Texas not leaving the conference, which many people feel would have resulted in the Big 12 going the way of the SWC.  (I think Texas feels that it has "caved in" enough with agreeing not to air high school football games on the channel.) 

You are correct.  The Big 12 Conference agreed to allow Texas to create their own network last summer as part of the agreement that kept the Big 12 Conference together.  The 10 remaining schools also signed an agreement that they would remain in the Big 12 Conference for the next 10 years.  I think some of you may be awake of the fact that Texas A&M is now trying to get out of that agreement and move to the SEC.

No, there was no agreement signed by any B12 school to stay in the B12 for 10 years. The only thing that was signed was a new TV deal with Fox for second tier rights.

UT did not 'cave" on the high school games. The NCAA ruled that they could not show them. Then ESPN announced it would show HS highlights instead, to which the NCAA also responded would not be allowed.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Care to find and provide a link to this signed agreement,TG37?  Shouldn't be hard since you are so well-informed on this topic.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

@bdatkinson wrote:

Care to find and provide a link to this signed agreement,TG37?  Shouldn't be hard since you are so well-informed on this topic.

Sure.  From the article in the link below:

Wednesday, when Kansas University athletic director Lew Perkins made his first public comments since the Big 12’s survival became official, Perkins said that the 10 members of the new-look conference have signed an agreement to stay together for at least 10 years.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/jun/17/perkins-big-12s-10-here-long-haul/

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

@texasguy37 wrote:

@bdatkinson wrote:

Sure.  From the article in the link below:

Wednesday, when Kansas University athletic director Lew Perkins made his first public comments since the Big 12’s survival became official, Perkins said that the 10 members of the new-look conference have signed an agreement to stay together for at least 10 years.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/jun/17/perkins-big-12s-10-here-long-haul/

"The remaining Big 12 programs made a 10-year pledge last summer, but signed no written agreement. Beebe suggested that a stronger, contractual pledge may be pursued. "

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/31878/deadline-coming-for-am-sec-decision

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

LOL.  So an oral agreement means nothing?  😉

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Yes, an oral agreement means nothing in this case.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

I guess when some people give their word it means something and other people giving their word means nothing! 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

@texasguy37 wrote:

I guess when some people give their word it means something and other people giving their word means nothing! 

Ain't that the truth.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Well that is just not true no agreement has been made whatsoever for the conference to remain intact since Texas A&M is trying its darnedest to leave!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I am midway through a one-year UVerse contract. If the Longhorn Network  is added to my package, I will drop UVerse at the end of that period and go with one of the other providers to the central Houston area.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.