For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
AustinTX#1's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, August 9th, 2011 10:50 PM

Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

I greatly appreciate the value provided by AT&T in bundling tv/wireless/internet services.  Similarly, the bundling of channels allows customers to access a variety of programming at substantial savings.

However, occasionally, programming comes along that is so expensive and directed at such a narrow, niche market that it deserves to be left off of the programming options or ordered solely as an 'a la carte' option.  If the reports about the price tag  to cable providers  to offer the 'longhorn network' (by ESPN) are accurate, the only way it could be added to current bundled programming packages is at substantial cost to MANY people who have no interest in the programming. 

Please AT&T, keep prices low, by either not offering or charging ONLY those who desire this programming option.

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I have been a Uverse customer for 3 years. I will not pay for the LHN. If the LHN is added to my current plan, that is fine. Just know that I will not watch it. If my rates increase for  my selected service, I will cancel my service. Plain and simple.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

13 years ago

@dwinth wrote:

I am wondering if all of these new posters to this forum and thread are actually U-Verse subscribers or are they plants from other schools who do not want to see a channel devoted to the Texas Longhorns? This response and hatred for a channel that is not even on the air yet or even part of the U-Verse package is so weird and unreal.

I am from Missouri. I casually follow the Missouri Tigers football team, also part of the Big 12. If all I have to pay is 40 cents a month more for the Longhorn Network, which I will probably not watch, it does not matter to me. What is 40 cents? If one cannot afford 40 cents a month, then one should not be subscribing to any cable, digital, or satellite service.

I am sure there are plenty of Texas Longhorn fans all over the United States, not just in Texas, who would welcome a Longhorn Network.

In addition, someone who follows a Big 12 team might be interested in a particular Longhorn game if it means their own team winning the Big 12 or not, or going to a particular bowl game.

I have yet to see one poster who has more than one or two posts who has come out against the Longhorn Network. I cannot remember any non-newbies, especially veteran posters, who have come out against this new channel.

I still maintain that the great majority of these people against the Longhorn Network are plants from other universities or even from other cable, digital, and satellite providers. Do most U-Verse subscribers even realize that there is going to be a Longhorn Network?

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

dwinth, you're a casual Missouri fan from Missouri. Trust me, that answers every one of your questions.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I am a U-verse subscriber as of March of 2010.  I am also a Texas Tech alumni.   I will drop U-verse all together if TLN requires me to spend one red cent more than I am already paying.  I do not see how this is not illegal with all the nonsense the NCAA says you can and can't do.

No it is not jealousy, I don't want a Texas Tech network either.  I would like a Big 12 Network. 

Scholar

• 

254 Messages

13 years ago

@dwinth wrote:

@Whitepaladin wrote:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/236595386383586/

How long have you had this Facebook group? I see that you only have three members. I also checked your Facebook page, and saw that you are a Texas Tech supporter. 

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Hahahahaha Smiley Very Happy

DPR

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

13 years ago

First off, while I many be from Texas, I have no affiliation with the University of Texas.  That being said, everyone has to realize that Longhorns and ex-Longhorns are fiercely loyal. Texas Exes (the alumni association) has over 96,000  members nationwide.  And that's just the exes that choose to join.

I can see where any business would want to tap into such a broad fan base.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

All of the ranting about "forcing down my throat" and "Im switching to someone who doesn't make me pay for something I dont want" is laughable and seems to me to be extremely hypocritical. 

One day you wil finally wake up and realize that you probably watch 20-30 channels on average per month. That means that there are TONS of channels that are being "forced down your throat." But if all of those other channels were not there, you would be complaining that your bill was too high. Cable companies are about content. Niche or not. I dont watch soccer, and I dont speak spanish. Should I come on here and bash spanish speaking americans and soccer lovers because I am "supporting soccer and spanish speakers" by paying a little extra on my bill? I would be banned for hate speech if I came on here and said some of the things some of you are saying. RELAX everyone and enjoy 100's of channels you pay for, but dont watch. 

Guru

• 

622 Messages

13 years ago

@squirk wrote:

I am a U-verse subscriber as of March of 2010.  I am also a Texas Tech alumni.   I will drop U-verse all together if TLN requires me to spend one red cent more than I am already paying.  I do not see how this is not illegal with all the nonsense the NCAA says you can and can't do.

No it is not jealousy, I don't want a Texas Tech network either.  I would like a Big 12 Network. 

It's perfectly legal for individual schools to make their own TV contracts - ask Notre Dame and NBC.  (IIRC, sometime in the 1980s, the Supreme Court ruled that the NCAA could not control universities' TV contracts, although I don't know if that included potential broadcast bans as punishments.) Also, I think BYU's channel includes sports in its broadcasts.

As for why Texas even gets its own network, I apologize if I am reposting something from the thread, but "the version I heard was," the Big 12 agreed to it in exchange for Texas not leaving the conference, which many people feel would have resulted in the Big 12 going the way of the SWC.  (I think Texas feels that it has "caved in" enough with agreeing not to air high school football games on the channel.)

One question I have is, what can TLN air?  Most Big 12 sports' rights are owned by either ABC, ESPN, or FSN (which, according to the Big 12 website, is why there is no "Big 12 Network" channel).

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

13 years ago

@Dread Pirate Roberts wrote:

@dwinth wrote:

@Whitepaladin wrote:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/236595386383586/

How long have you had this Facebook group? I see that you only have three members. I also checked your Facebook page, and saw that you are a Texas Tech supporter. 

Hahahahaha Smiley Very Happy

DPR

DPR: I just checked his anti- Longhorn Network Facebook group again to see who the three members were. The three members are Whitepaladin himself, his son, and one other person. It does not seem like a very effective protest Facebook group.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

That Don Guy wrote:

As for why Texas even gets its own network, I apologize if I am reposting something from the thread, but "the version I heard was," the Big 12 agreed to it in exchange for Texas not leaving the conference, which many people feel would have resulted in the Big 12 going the way of the SWC.  (I think Texas feels that it has "caved in" enough with agreeing not to air high school football games on the channel.) 

You are correct.  The Big 12 Conference agreed to allow Texas to create their own network last summer as part of the agreement that kept the Big 12 Conference together.  The 10 remaining schools also signed an agreement that they would remain in the Big 12 Conference for the next 10 years.  I think some of you may be awake of the fact that Texas A&M is now trying to get out of that agreement and move to the SEC.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.