Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

Contributor

Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

I greatly appreciate the value provided by AT&T in bundling tv/wireless/internet services.  Similarly, the bundling of channels allows customers to access a variety of programming at substantial savings.

However, occasionally, programming comes along that is so expensive and directed at such a narrow, niche market that it deserves to be left off of the programming options or ordered solely as an 'a la carte' option.  If the reports about the price tag  to cable providers  to offer the 'longhorn network' (by ESPN) are accurate, the only way it could be added to current bundled programming packages is at substantial cost to MANY people who have no interest in the programming. 

Please AT&T, keep prices low, by either not offering or charging ONLY those who desire this programming option.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 380

Re: Longhorn Network - Just say 'No'

I'd like to thank AT&T for (at least so far) not saddling us with an expensive channel that few want.

Message 106 of 380
Expert

The local Houston news mentioned it this morning, and that no one was carrying it (yet); but Comcrap was thinking about it.  Go Comcrap!  Smiley Very Happy

I guess UV is considered a small operator since they aren't even mentioned in THIS article.

As far as I can see, this is just another HUGE $ grab for ESPN.

Message 107 of 380
Scholar

just one fan's opinion of LHN's future, i dont see the LHN being a big deal short term. 

but im thinking that espn overpaying like they have for a LONGTERM deal...that deloss dodds shared their possible plans for UTs going independent during their agreement with ESPN, that he hasnt let outta the bag to anyone else yet, obviously. 

and dead pirate, ive seen all the different sub fees  for each seperate espn network broken down before, and its mentioned on wikipedia, considering how much espn is paying ut, 40 cents/sub dont surprise me a bit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_television_in_the_United_States

Typically, more popular cable channels command higher fees. For example, ESPN typically charges $4.08 per subscriber per month [3] for access to its main channel alone (plus another $1.05 for the rest of its English-language channels), the highest of any non-premium American cable channel and comparable to the premium channels. Other cable channels charge, on average, 5-20 cents per subscriber per month.

Message 108 of 380
Expert

spd2demun wrote:

The local Houston news mentioned it this morning, and that no one was carrying it (yet); but Comcrap was thinking about it.  Go Comcrap!  Smiley Very Happy

I guess UV is considered a small operator since they aren't even mentioned in THIS article.

As far as I can see, this is just another HUGE $ grab for ESPN.

The ony major provider who has announced carriage so far is Verizon FIOS which will start on September 1st.  

Everything thing is about money!  No for profit company makes a decision that is not all about the Benjamins.

Message 109 of 380
Expert

Yeah, but ESPN is out of control...I'm glad I don't NEED sports. Smiley Wink

Message 110 of 380
Highlighted

If U-Verse got rid of the channels I don't want, they would be down to about 5 channels.

Tags (1)
Message 111 of 380
Expert

spd2demun wrote:

Yeah, but ESPN is out of control...I'm glad I don't NEED sports. Smiley Wink

LOL.  You have no idea the joy that you are missing.  Smiley Wink

Don't you want to be able to make emotional posts on the forum about sports channels if not added or sports channels if added will make you change to another provider?

Message 112 of 380
Expert

Nope.  I'll sit in the stands and watch others do it! 

Message 113 of 380
Expert

Smiley Very Happy

Message 114 of 380

Too Bad there are now six cable providers in Texas that yes to Longhorn Network
Message 115 of 380

I guess when all major college teams start getting their own networks in the next 2/3 years we'll be on here posting say no to ?? U network.  The Pac-12 already has a network planned as well as USC, UCLA and one other school.   I for one welcome each and every new channel regardless whether I watch it or not. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 116 of 380
Expert

As long as I'm not forced to pay for a channel, bring 'em on!

Message 117 of 380
Expert

LOL.  If it is included in your base package, you will pay along with all the other unwanted channels in your base package.

Message 118 of 380
Expert

You know what I meant! Smiley Very Happy

Message 119 of 380
Contributor

As a longtime Uverse subcricber, if this channel is pikced up and added to my U400 package at an additional fee, I will be finding a carrier who does not force a network I don't want down my throat.  I have no problem if you have to pay an extra fee to get it, similar to the RedZone Channel.

I hope the potential loss of this customer weighs heavily in your minds as you debate on whether to add the Longhorn network and how to package it.

Message 120 of 380
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that!

Click here to check it out or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. You can quickly and easily resolve your service woes!

Do you need to contact us? Chat with us here!

Additional Support