mpiekutowski's profile

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

Wednesday, April 9th, 2014 4:43 PM

Live TV on WIndows 7 PC (trouble getting connected to access all channels)

I have a Windows 7 PC with a direct wire connect to the gateway. When I go to watch Live TV, it will only connect (so that I can access all the channels) about 50% of the time. I can click on the 'Not Connected' button over and over without connecting. I've tried rebooting but that doesn't help. I come back later or on another day and it connects no problem (nothing has changed on the PC). Anyone have any ideas of any settings on the PC or gateway I can check?

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

Forgot to mention:
- Using latest IE or Chrome = Same result
- Latest Java Installed
- Live Player Plug-In Installed

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

Still having the problem. I tried (again):

- Repair browsers

- Uninstall/reinstall Flash and Shockwave

- Uninstall/reinstall Java

Not able to connect now and frustrated.

Is it just me or has the U-verse experience been declining over the last 6-9 months. I used to have zero issues but now we have slow internet, TV pixelation/freezes, etc.

It seems that I now reboot/restart all pieces of equipment about every1-2 weeks just to feel like I'm doing something that might help. My intuition tells me that AT&T is having a scaling problem.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@mpiekutowski 

Which IE browser are you using? If you are using 10 or 11 try uninstalling and going back to 9 and don't let MS force the "upgrade" on your system.  I haven't had any success on 11, haven't tried 10.

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

I get the same results with these browsers:

- Internet Explorer 11

- Chrome 34

Since it happens in 2 different browsers, I doubt it is browser related.

I also tried turning off the Windows Firewall and all anti-virus (Trend Micro) and that doesn't help either.

In my opinion, it seems to be something related to the way the Residential Gateway is communicating with the PC. I've even tried disconnecting the network cable and reconnecting on both ends but that doesn't fix it either.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

10 years ago

You don't mention it but I have to ask, are you connected directly into the gateway or are you connected through a switch/second router?

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

Direct wire connection from PC to Residential Gateway (2-Wire/Pace). No other routers in between.

RG is model # 3801HGV. Hardware version is 000778-004. Software version is 6.9.1.42-enh.tm.

Scholar

• 

129 Messages

10 years ago

Not having Win7 directly, can't run a dump to see what would be running with the plugin installed.

Checked on Google (with different wordings) and can't find anything beyond the Forums here with any possible solutions.

Ideal situation would be to have a fresh Win7 machine with nothing on it and see what happens -- that would determine if it's a software conflict or a problem with throughput of the RG.  Possibly if someone you know has a Win7 laptop you could borrow it and attempt setting up LiveTV plugin "fresh", connecting, and testing that way.

If your RG is not having problems with regular browsing/connecting, it sounds like a software/OTHER plugin conflict somewhere that is machine-based.  In all my years working with video programs on almost all Windows iterations, there's always been *some* sort of conflict between plugins/software when running or installed concurrently.

You've got me intrigued ..... give me around a day, and I'll see what I can scrounge up.

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks to those looking at this and exploring ideas.

I did a restart of RG and it connected in IE 11. I watched for a while and then closed the browser (other things I need to get done). In the interim, the PC went to sleep (as it should). When I came back later, I opened the browser and now it won't connect.

Scholar

• 

129 Messages

10 years ago

OH WOW!  You just jogged my memory to what's probably happening!

It would *seem* that a persistent Microsoft problem has not been fixed after all of these years!  For some odd reason, if Windows hibernates/sleeps it throws itself off with the internet.  This is kinda long, but indulge me ....

Back in 2006, I noticed my internet speeds on Comcast (connected directly via Ethernet between PC and cable modem) seemed to be cut in about half.  I tested different things way before I even dreamed of calling them (they hardly have a good reputation of prompt or knowledgeable customer service).  Couldn't find out what was going on, and even when techs on their end tried everything, they couldn't see anything either.  Set up tech truck roll, I show repairdude what's going on, he's baffled too.  Goes outside, tweaks the connections coming in, we restart modem again, everything's the same.

THEN, we restart the computer as well as everything else.  Speed comes up back to normal .... however, when I purposely put old WindowsXP into hibernate, bring it out, and do speed tests again .... VOILA!  Speed cut in half!

Now .... I'm sure you think that M$ would have solved this by now, after all they've had Vista and then "improved" Vista with Win7.  BUT, good old M$ could have not even noticed, after all some Office products STILL don't cooperate with HP printers, even with Win7.

SOOOOO ...... restart your computer, let it come up, and then connect with LiveTV.  Then force it to take a nap, wait a few minutes, wake it up and see if it connects again.

HOPEFULLY it could be this simple of a fix!

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

I tried the PC reboot and still won't connect.

I tried the sleep and no connect.

I'll try the RG reboot again. If that works, then it is at least a work around, although not very practical to have to reboot the RG.

Even when not connected, I can login to watch the 52 channels. The connection is needed to watch the other 61 channels that I have access to because of the service I have.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.