Jeannie_D's profile

Scholar

• 

89 Messages

Wednesday, September 3rd, 2014 12:45 AM

Left and Right Sides of TV Picture Cropped

This problem started this past weekend. We have a Toshiba TV, Model 19LV61OU, and we have the owner's manual.

We had to start using both the U-Verse remote and the Toshiba TV remote when the Volume button on the U-Verse remote stopped working. (I changed the batteries in the U-Verse remote in case the Volume button was just low power batteries. A replacement U-Verse remote has been ordered.)

While using the Toshiba remote to adjust the volume, some other button got pressed and we lost the entire TV image. After following the steps in the Toshiba TV owner's manual, I got the picture back.

But, now, the left and right sides of the picture are cut off - about 5% on each side. With the on-screen U-Verse program Guide displaying, I can't see the channel numbers on the left - I can see "ide" of the word "Guide" and on the far right I can see only the first part of the time in the upper right corner and the name of the program in the 3rd half hour is cut off.

I've tried a variety of suggested steps involving the Zoom on both the U-Verse remote and the Toshiba TV remote. I have the picture settings set to Normal. We have an HDMI connection.

What am I missing here to correct the problem? Until the issues encountered this past weekend the TV picture was fine and not cropped in any way.

Thanks in advance for helpful step-by-step advice.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for keeping us up to date & discussion brings other ideas.

I hope you have another STB that you can try on the Toshiba. Is it easier to move the Toshiba or the STB? Try the STB now connected to the Toshiba on the other TV & vice-versa.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

Kudos to you for your persistence & seeking other avenues.

I can't believe I did not mention the aspect setting when talking about the zoom in an early post.

I do see that MT mentioned it, but not in that detail.

The thing is, if you are set on widescreen SD, you are not optimizing your picture. It is a very good picture. But, I believe it will be better on one of the two HD settings.

Your previous setting must have been one of the first two, not one of the last three. You should try the HD settings. You can always go back.

Since you have changed it, you know you have to move the cursor to accept the change after the test.

Scholar

• 

89 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for your advice, aviewer. I will try out your suggestions.

As you can tell from my posted solution, I like step-by-step instructions, as do many people. I write out any instructions I provide to someone like I would write the directions for a recipe. That is how I learned to provide technical writing.

Scholar

• 

89 Messages

10 years ago

To aviewer -

I did use the U-Verse remote and the MENU button (as I outlined in the solution I found and posted step-by-step) to try out the HD settings. They set my TV picture into a side cropped mode, again - both HD choices. So, the one I determined worked for my TV and U-Verse settings is the one that works for me.

By the way, my thoughts mentioned the GUIDE button on the U-Verse remote, not the MENU button. I tried the suggetion from my thoughts, which did not get the proper solution.

I've printed off the picture cropping solution for my TV and am keeping it with my hard copy Toshiba TV owner's manual. I have both the manual (PDF version) and the cropped picture solution (Word document) saved in my Toshiba file on my computer.

Again, my thanks to you and to my thoughts for your time and input.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Thank you for all of this information.  We spent quite a bit of time on the phone with support, reset the DVR box twice and finally I did  a search of the problem and came upon this.  The same solution worked for us and we had the same issues with trying to use either of the HD settings even though we have a wide screen HD TV that isn't that old.  So we have to lose some of the HD resolution if we want to be able to read the guide. 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

@SoozinCA- Can we pursue this a little bit because I would really like to understand it? Just so I am sure I understand the problem - It is the Menu display that you are talking about, not the content picture? I imagine it is also the guide.

Based on experience & double checking now, the menu is inside the SD (4:3) profile & displays properly on widescreen  on all aspect settings except standard SD (not widescreen). But, this setting would be incorrect for a widescreen tv. If it happened to occur it would easily be corrected.

To change the setting you must move the cursor to accept the change.

So, the standard software will not have this failure. It has to be the individual instance - often called a cockpit problem. With so many u-verse installs, individual problems are sure to surface.

There is the OP in this thread & here is another thread - https://forums.att.com/t5/Equipment/Upgrade-to-Gigapower-problem-with-TV-guide-not-showing-up/m-p/4185873#M360

I believe this ended up being the x-box.

An avenue I would like to pursue with you is a possible HDMI fault. You do set aspect, but the TV has a say over the HDMI. Can you connect component cables to see if makes a difference? Be sure to disconnect the HDMI from the STB.

Please post your TV model. I would like to look at the manual.

Thanks

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Thanks, I will try this when I get home this evening.  You are a life saver, it's been driving me crazy.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

None of these have fixed my problem. It is not the t.v. While watching football the right and left sides are cut off and i can't see the score. Any one have an Idea on how to fix this?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@cdneill This really sounds like a TV feature accidentally activated.

Many TVs have an option to zoom in, this is to take normal  / non-widescreen, that would have bars on the right and left, and enlarge it to make the show full screen; this would lose some of the top/bottom of the screen but would be perfect for shows / movies that were widescreen for normal 4:3 TVs and you have them on a 16:9 widescreen TV.

This "feature" would make a normal widescreen HD show lose part of the top and bottom and the left and right and good up your scores.  Google how to turn the zoom(?) off for your TV model.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

Have tried all the settings on the TV and remote . In every setting the score box is cut off. I checked on a tv not hooked to uverse and the whole score box shows up.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.