Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Impacted by the government shutdown? AT&T can help.  Learn more

Lack of Weather Information

Contributor

Lack of Weather Information

I live in Kansas, right smack dab in the middle of tornado alley. I switched from Cox to AT&T in October, and LOVED it, until our first storms of the season. I was deeply disappointed in the Weather Channel not having the local information. For the cost of the service, I am guessing you guys could afford to make it so the Local Forecast and severe weather information is available. It also says you have "local channels". We have a local weather channel from KWCH, which is available over the air, that Cox also carried. So needless to say when we had our first severe storms of the season, the lack of information was very disappointing. I'm hoping this is something that AT&T is looking at addressing, otherwise I may as well have satellite. Even they offer more interactive weather apps that give warnings on the Weather Channel than At&T.

Message 1 of 8
Professor

Re: Lack of Weather Information

While AT&T doesn't provide LOT8s from the Weather Channel, why would you use them as your weather source instead of your local broadcast stations?  TWC isn't a 24/7 weather channel anymore and mainly shows reality TV with national weather during commerical breaks. Your local NBC/ABC/CBS/FOX affiliate will give you better data that TWC ever could.

That said there are several notifications outside of TWC that AT&T offers to notify you of bad weather.  The Emergency Alert System will innterupt whatever you're watching to notify you of bad weather approaching, even if you are watching a DVR'd show.  There's also an interactive app that can show you local weather in real time. 

Message 2 of 8
Contributor

I appreciate the suggestions, I guess I didn't know about the apps, the only thing that shows up on my screen in the app on the Weather Channel that will just show the forecast, doesn't show any radar or anything. The Weather Channel will show live warnings on the bottom of the screen, yes, normally local broadcast media would be the perfect world, however during this storm only one station was giving weather live and they were cutting in and out. It resulted in thousands without power and affected local TV broadcast coverage.

Message 3 of 8
Expert

@ks67219 wrote:

I live in Kansas, right smack dab in the middle of tornado alley. I switched from Cox to AT&T in October, and LOVED it, until our first storms of the season. I was deeply disappointed in the Weather Channel not having the local information. For the cost of the service, I am guessing you guys could afford to make it so the Local Forecast and severe weather information is available. It also says you have "local channels". We have a local weather channel from KWCH, which is available over the air, that Cox also carried. So needless to say when we had our first severe storms of the season, the lack of information was very disappointing. I'm hoping this is something that AT&T is looking at addressing, otherwise I may as well have satellite. Even they offer more interactive weather apps that give warnings on the Weather Channel than At&T.

If you have severe weather in your area, your best source of information will be your local broadcast channels not the Weather Channel.

Message 4 of 8
ACE - Master

Does 225/1225 and their "pseudo" LOT8's provide radar?  I no longer see it.  All I see is Right now info and a 5 day forecast.

To the OP, local stations plus a NOAA Hazards radio are great resources.  I would go one further and buy a police scanner and/or a handheld amateur transceiver that covers the 2 meter ham band.  While it is illegal to transmit without a license, you can listen all you want.  The Skywarn and Severe weather spotter nets provide faster info than live TV.  Amazon sells a handheld dual band transceiver that also includes the NOAA weather channels for about $30.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 8
Scholar

@ks67219 wrote:

I use Channel 227 for local weather.  It's Accuweather and gives you a lot of local data.  You can monitor other cities too.  I like it better than Cox.

I'm sure it will give you all the real time warnings that you'll need.

chiefdore

Message 6 of 8
ACE - Master

@americangame wrote:

While AT&T doesn't provide LOT8s from the Weather Channel, why would you use them as your weather source instead of your local broadcast stations?  TWC isn't a 24/7 weather channel anymore and mainly shows reality TV with national weather during commerical breaks. Your local NBC/ABC/CBS/FOX affiliate will give you better data that TWC ever could.

That said there are several notifications outside of TWC that AT&T offers to notify you of bad weather.  The Emergency Alert System will innterupt whatever you're watching to notify you of bad weather approaching, even if you are watching a DVR'd show.  There's also an interactive app that can show you local weather in real time. 

Unfortunately @americangame the bolded part does not seem to working, everywhere.  I have not noted the AT&T EBS system working except for tests.  No Severe Thunderstorm warning (just recently), No Tornado Warning (last year) and no recent Flash Flood Warning.  This was brought to AT&T's attention last year and the reply was basically "oh wow."

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 8
Professor

@ks67219 wrote:

I appreciate the suggestions, I guess I didn't know about the apps, the only thing that shows up on my screen in the app on the Weather Channel that will just show the forecast, doesn't show any radar or anything. The Weather Channel will show live warnings on the bottom of the screen, yes, normally local broadcast media would be the perfect world, however during this storm only one station was giving weather live and they were cutting in and out. It resulted in thousands without power and affected local TV broadcast coverage.

I think if the power was out, TV coverage of any kind isn't possible.

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support