Is HD being provided? It's what I'm paying for

Contributor

Is HD being provided? It's what I'm paying for

[ Edited ]

Hi so I noticed that my picture quality is far below par. I researched my tv (1080i); I made sure the receiver was set to HD; and I ran a few stress tests on my tv using both the att program and a couple other private programs. All checked out good to go except that I still was not actually GETTING HD. So I researched the issue and found that apparently not all the time the HD channels deliver HD TV... I don't know about anyone else, but I pay an extra $10 to get the HD. I don't pay $10 a month to SOMETIMES get HD. If that was the case, I would only pay $10 SOME of the time... This is a simple clear cut case of false advertising deliberately misleading the customers to believe HD is always on these extra channels. If I asked 'NBC on your side' to investigate this, what would they turn up? [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

I have also yet to receive the gift cards that I was told I'd receive for signing up even though I claimed them and called to ask about. I have also had to cancel fox soccer channel because it only shows rugby. All of this is adding up to a very interesting story... 

Would any at&t rep rep care to respond? I work longer hours than nearly all of the people who CAN answer these questions so HERE is the forum, apparently...

Message 1 of 25 (2,353 Views)

Re: Is HD being provided? It's what I'm paying for

Believe it or not, CBS is for the first time since 2000 is broadcasting Big Brother in HD.  It was only a couple of years ago that Survivor was broadcast in HD.  To be upconverted it has to come from the provider, it has nothing to do with AT&T, they only push what the networks pump out.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 16 of 25 (1,795 Views)
ACE - Professor

Brian80 wrote:
First off, thanks a ton for the replies! I have learned a lot from you all so it IS appreciated. However, AT&T lists on their channel guide that the programs ARE HD (and apparently the HD upgrade can and has been applied to shows from the 80s). If there is no promise of HD and the program is displayed in SD on what is allegedly an HD channel, then how can AT&T charge $10 across the board "for HD television"? Doesn't this seem misleading? If the channel does not have the program in HD then shouldn't AT&T be responsible for not including the program on an HD channel? Last night I attempted to watch a show and the picture quality was horrendous! I could barely make out the faces! Comcast broadcasts strictly HD and u can tell because the shows seem more like a live set. Comcast holds a standard of HD - if att can't, then they shouldn't charge for HD when it's not provided (at minimum lowering the charge).

What show were you watching and what channel was it on? If it looked like crap SD on U-Verse, it would also look like crap SD on Comcast.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 25 (1,756 Views)

I have a question, and I'll just reply to the last poster since he/she is a Guru.

I have the package w/HBO, also Showtime and the other movie channels. I have also have a brand new Smart TV that got excellent reviews on picture, but it's not great - and, the preson I live with has Direct TV and his picture is better. But I chose to pay extra for uVerse because of its features.

I have Showtime HD, but one of my favorite shows, Penny Dreadful, is apparently not in high def, because ther's no box beside it on the guide. How could a show like that not be in HD? It's brand new, it's Showtime, but there's no 'HD' box out beside it. I went to their site and found no info but I'm sure it's a high def show.

Not sure what to do - any advice is appreciated.

Message 18 of 25 (1,707 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

High_Voltage_Blonde wrote:

I have a question, and I'll just reply to the last poster since he/she is a Guru.

I have the package w/HBO, also Showtime and the other movie channels. I have also have a brand new Smart TV that got excellent reviews on picture, but it's not great - and, the preson I live with has Direct TV and his picture is better. But I chose to pay extra for uVerse because of its features.

I have Showtime HD, but one of my favorite shows, Penny Dreadful, is apparently not in high def, because ther's no box beside it on the guide. How could a show like that not be in HD? It's brand new, it's Showtime, but there's no 'HD' box out beside it. I went to their site and found no info but I'm sure it's a high def show.

If you're watching the show between channels 1852-1859, it's in HD.

I know this sounds silly but make sure that your TV is connected to your U-Verse Set Top Box in the correct way in order to see the HD channels in HD. Use either an HDMI cable or component cables from the STB to your TV.

Mess the Menu button on your remote, select Options, then System options. From here choose TV screen resolution (HD/SD) and then select either 720p or 1080i(your choice).

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 25 (1,700 Views)
Highlighted

High_Voltage_Blonde wrote:

Make sure you have your STB set up for HD as well

Menu

System Option

TV Screen Resolution, set it for either 720 or 1080, - continue - start test and either keep settings or change to the other.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 20 of 25 (1,676 Views)

I'll check thos things out. I still don't understand why, in the Showtimes listings, there's little box that says 'HD' for some of the shows but not all.

Thanks for the replies. =)

Message 21 of 25 (1,665 Views)

[ Edited ]

I don't have an option for resolution, or at least not one I can find. Under System I have: Accessibility, Setup, Menu Language, Smart Control Settings and Remote Setup. I looked in each of those and didn't see anything about resolution. I do have the cable plugged into HDMI 1 slot on the TV,  and there is only one slot to plug anything in to the cable box, which does say HDMI.

Wonder why I have no option to change the resolution? It's a brand new Samsung Smart TV, model 6350. I read up on it before I bought and it got excellent reviews for picture quality. There's a tiny LG TV in another room and it gets a better picture.

ETA I am looking online for info about the TV and hit the 12x720/60p ! No wonder the picture's not good! Maybe I need to program the remote, but I didn't think that would be necessary.

Help!

Message 22 of 25 (1,612 Views)
ACE - Expert

I think there is a layer missinhg -
Menu
Options - far right on top
system options
TV screen Res
Message 23 of 25 (1,607 Views)

You are correct, and I finally figured it out, somehow. Thank you so much for your help! :-)

Message 24 of 25 (1,603 Views)
Tutor

You shouldn't HAVE to pay more for HD - that's what is coming into the box. EVERYTHING is produced in HD, they have to process it to go to SD. Ridiculous. Remember, AT&T used to charge a fee for TouchTone when they were actually saving millions not having to maintain the mechanical rotary interchanges.

Message 25 of 25 (749 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.