For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
whuntsman's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, August 21st, 2014 7:19 PM

I get AlJazzera but not SEC Network

I live in Tulsa, OK, closer to Fayetteville, AR than Norman, OK.  Can someone tell me why I get AlJazeera but not the SEC Network?

The only think keeping my cable on is live sports, if you aren't going to give me that, then I really have no more need for your service.

Wade 

Tulsa, OK

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

195 Messages

10 years ago

u do not live in a sec state....so u need u300....

if u would live in arkansas...then u would only need u200

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

You can get it if you have u300 or higher and pay an additional fee/mo.

http://uverse.com/uverse/secnetwork 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Scholar

• 

276 Messages

10 years ago

If you will not upgrade to 300. You will not get it. Good luck what ever you decide.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.

I understand that I won't get it without paying more, it was more a complaint.  Why am I not getting channels like SEC but am getting crap like AlJazeera, I don't live in Kuwait either. 

Can we please just move on to ala carte so I can pay to watch only the channels I want to watch.  

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@whuntsman wrote:

I understand that I won't get it without paying more, it was more a complaint.  Why am I not getting channels like SEC but am getting crap like AlJazeera, I don't live in Kuwait either. 

Can we please just move on to ala carte so I can pay to watch only the channels I want to watch.  

@whuntsman - Welcome! Don't be a stranger on the forums.  But I'm curious.  Can you please, please tell me what cable providers offer ala carte?  I know, like a boss quuipped at a meeting once when no one responded to a pointed question, he said "I guess that's what you call a 'Rhetorical Question!'"  At any rate, ala carte will never happen as long as the ESPN/Disney, Time Media, Hearst, Comcast and so on control the programming - i.e. "if you want A&E, you better offer Oxygen and We!"  Seriously.

As far as your Al Jazeera comment.  You don't like unbiased news?  Smiley Happy  I'm messing with you but as far as Al Jazeera and "living in Kuwait," I love BBC World News but I don't live in England! 😛

Back to the SEC and non-SEC states.  Remember that ESPN and the SEC agreed to this.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@mibrnsurg wrote:

You can get it if you have u300 or higher and pay an additional fee/mo.

http://uverse.com/uverse/secnetwork 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

No additional fee if you live in a non-SEC state, Chris.

States with a Southeastern Conference school will find the network in the U200 and above packages. The network will be in the U300 package and above in all other U-verse markets.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

10 years ago

@dhascall wrote:

@whuntsman wrote:

@whuntsman - Welcome! Don't be a stranger on the forums.  But I'm curious.  Can you please, please tell me what cable providers offer ala carte?  I know, like a boss quuipped at a meeting once when no one responded to a pointed question, he said "I guess that's what you call a 'Rhetorical Question!'"  At any rate, ala carte will never happen as long as the ESPN/Disney, Time Media, Hearst, Comcast and so on control the programming - i.e. "if you want A&E, you better offer Oxygen and We!"  Seriously.

As far as your Al Jazeera comment.  You don't like unbiased news?  Smiley Happy  I'm messing with you but as far as Al Jazeera and "living in Kuwait," I love BBC World News but I don't live in England! 😛

Back to the SEC and non-SEC states.  Remember that ESPN and the SEC agreed to this.

You are exactly right. Say there's a channel like ESPN. Right now, EVERYONE is paying something like $5/mo for ESPN. In addition, they're ALL paying a fee for every other ESPN and Disney-related channel (since Disney owns ESPN.)

It works like this:
Disney: "I see your contract is about to expire. If you do not renew, we're going to pull our channels off our lineup. Would you like to renew?"

Provider: "Ok. What channels do you have, where do you want them on our lineup and how much will you charge?"

Disney: "We have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, ESPN Classic, ESPNU, Disney, DisneyXD, ToonDisney, Disney Junior, WatchDisney, WatchESPN, etc. We charge these prices for these channels and would require them to be distributed to this number of people."

Provider: "We think that's a bit unfair. Let's negotiate."

After a while, the channels are added. If all goes well, no channels are lost.

If they move to an "a la carte" system, instead of a little bit of money for channels, you'd probably be paying $12-$15 for most channels. Look at channels like Starz, Cinemax, HBO or Fox Soccer Plus. All these channels are a la carte.

Honestly, I prefer this system. You can pay $60-$80 or so and get a lot of channels...and yes, those channels you and I "never watch", we might actually watch. Under the current system, I've watched bits and pieces of The Hub, TLC, Discovery, Velocity, History, etc. I would NOT pay for these channels individually.

As far as Al Jazeera goes, I challenge everyone to watch it. The problem is that because they don't criticize or kiss the rear end of whoever the US President happens to be, they'll always be considered biased or whatever. They really are a fantastic channel.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I like the BBC, too. I dont live in England either. And I get the BBC.

I don't live in the Middle East, but I get AlJazeera.

I don't live in the Big 10, but I get the Big 10 Network. (I live 2 hours from as SEC school and 8 hours from a Big 10).

We pay a TON for cable, but they are not giving us the channels we want. I would much rather pay $50 for the 30 channels I watch, than $90 for those 30 plus 170 I dont watch.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

10 years ago

@whuntsman wrote:

I don't live in the Big 10, but I get the Big 10 Network. (I live 2 hours from as SEC school and 8 hours from a Big 10).

We pay a TON for cable, but they are not giving us the channels we want. I would much rather pay $50 for the 30 channels I watch, than $90 for those 30 plus 170 I dont watch.

The channel Al Jazeera America, which U-verse carries, has nothing to do with the Middle East.  My guess is that you have never watched that channel.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

10 years ago

@whuntsman wrote:

I can walk to a Big Ten campus. My nearest SEC school is several hours away. I have no interest in several channels, yet I have to pay for them all.

Channels like FOX Soccer Plus, HBO, Cinemax, Starz and various international channels are typically between $10-$18 dollars per month. At that price, if you watch just five channels (and absolutely, positively nothing else on the others), you'd be looking at $50-$90/month. What makes you think that the current pricing structure would survive with only a few people paying for those channels, instead of the millions that already are?

If you watch 30 channels and think you could pay $50/mo for them, that comes out to $1.60 per month per channel.

ESPN can afford to charge customers approx $5 or $6/mo for that single channel because they charge EVERYBODY, regardless of how much or little they watch it. A channel like USA can charge under $1/month/subscriber because they charge everyone who does, or doesn't watch it.

If ESPN charged just their viewers for that channel, there is no way it would be remotely close to $5/mo. Take a favorite niche channel you watch. How many people watch that channel? How much do they charge? When you take away all their non-viewers and know they'd still have to make that same amount of money to pay their bills, you can practically guarantee yourself you'd pay much more than what you'd be paying now. Much more.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.