robb0995's profile

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

Sunday, October 13th, 2013 7:09 AM

How to turn off or at least mute those horrible severe weather alerts?

There has to be a way to turn these things off!

Tonight I've run into both of the fundamental flaws in this system.  Earlier tonight, I saw an alert pop up and I scrambled for the remote knowing that if I didn't exit it fast I was going to have some upset dogs and got blasted with the way out of proportion alert tone.  I never even got to read the alert, because I was so focused on exiting it quickly.  

Then a few minutes ago, as I was drifting off to sleep with the TV on sleep timer, I got blasted awake by a Flash Flood alert that kept getting louder and louder until I finally founf the remote and made it stop.

Somebody please tell me how to turn these off.  They are utterly pointless and far more trouble than they are worth. 

Thanks

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

After having been subjected to these unnecessarily loud alerts from AT&T Uverse for several months now and verifying there is no reasonable alternative, I've switched back to DirecTV.   I did verify before switching back that they don't have the same complaints about unnecessarily loud alerts. So, problem solved!

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

@deedee6397 wrote:

After having been subjected to these unnecessarily loud alerts from AT&T Uverse for several months now and verifying there is no reasonable alternative, I've switched back to DirecTV.   I did verify before switching back that they don't have the same complaints about unnecessarily loud alerts. So, problem solved!

I never had trouble w/them, there was always a 4-5 second period to exit it b4 it honked.  I've had that for a few years now and caught it every time except twice and it wasn't as loud as it used to be. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

THERES IS ABSOLUTEY NO WAY TO "SILENCE" OR TURN THESE OFF, so if you got a silent wanrning, it was prob about something else. Rob0995 trippin

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

@Brecks wrote:
THERES IS ABSOLUTEY NO WAY TO "SILENCE" OR TURN THESE OFF, so if you got a silent wanrning, it was prob about something else. Rob0995 trippin

If you have your remote handy and have a quick response, you can turn the volume all the way down as soon as you see the graphic.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

It says other agencies MAY use the EAS.  It does not say those messages are REQUIRED

Enough of the "chicken little sky is falling"  alerts by the cya bureaucracy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I can't stand how these alerts come at full volume when I have the TV turned down, which is so I am not disturbing my neighbors and my animals aren't bothered.  I think the issue is not that we get these alerts but that regardless of the volume setting (unless it's muted) these alerts are blasting out of my speakers.  If it's late at night, and the TV is quiet and I can hear it, then I can hear the d@mned alert without it suddenly waking my neighbors.  This is ridiculous, and reminds me of when commercials were so much louder than the shows you're watching, making one dive for the remote.  Those who argue that this is to save lives are simply not getting the point - I'll hear it without the need for the tone to be so loud as to wake the dead - it was already selected to cut through other background noises so it can be heard, why does it have to be as LOUD AS POSSIBLE???  Why can't it be a reasonable volume like anything else?  I'll hear it, so anyone wanting to tell me "it's to save your life" - rest assured, it will be able to do that without blowing out my eardrums or freaking out my animals and neighbors.  UGH!!!

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

7 years ago

Update: I ended up solving this problem! I canceled U-Verse and cut the cord. All the same TV for half the price and no silly alerts!

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

7 years ago

Update: I ended up solving this problem! I canceled U-Verse and cut the cord. All the same TV for half the price and no silly alerts!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

make it THREE.  the volume is way too loud... WAY WAY too loud.  I did not see the mandate for a specific dB level.... get over the flight crew is god mentality and return to civilized society

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

4 years ago

It ruins the show or the TV movie I am watching.  It has happened this morning 5 times in 30 minutes.  There is only a small thunder system in Memphis not tornados.   This is beyond ridiculous to blare out 5 warnings in 30 minutes.  They should allow u to disable it if u r not in bad weather.  It frightened me and my cats to death and it gives my dad a heart attack he just had heart surgery and it scares him to death.   I can see if there is a tornado but just rain brings on 5 alerts in 30 mins is going a bit far

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.