robb0995's profile

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

Sunday, October 13th, 2013 7:09 AM

How to turn off or at least mute those horrible severe weather alerts?

There has to be a way to turn these things off!

Tonight I've run into both of the fundamental flaws in this system.  Earlier tonight, I saw an alert pop up and I scrambled for the remote knowing that if I didn't exit it fast I was going to have some upset dogs and got blasted with the way out of proportion alert tone.  I never even got to read the alert, because I was so focused on exiting it quickly.  

Then a few minutes ago, as I was drifting off to sleep with the TV on sleep timer, I got blasted awake by a Flash Flood alert that kept getting louder and louder until I finally founf the remote and made it stop.

Somebody please tell me how to turn these off.  They are utterly pointless and far more trouble than they are worth. 

Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

You do not have the choice to opt out.

It is what it is.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@baseballisback wrote:

If there WAS a tornado in the area, I would hope local news would interrupt a few minutes (or longer) before the tornado would be a real threat. In my area, the local news outs a graphic in the corner of the screen for a mild situation. If it's a bit more serious, they'll run a crawl across the screen. If it's a tornado watch, then they break in until there's no more tornado threat in the area.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED FOR THE SIREN TO BE SO %&--#;(#%+ LOUD!!!!!!! (Screaming to be heard over the blare.)

If you are not watching a local station, then it's not going to "interupt" your service. Those alerts are loud for a reason. They are the same on Dish and Direct. 

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@robb0995 wrote:
So, AT&T's answer is that "Our service isn't very good, so you should watch something better like VHS?" LOL

My local radio stations and local TV stations are not breaking in with these alerts, just Uverse. And sharing more flash flooding warnings all night when I know it's raining hard is not sharing particularly important instructions. Uverse really needs a way to opt out of this. It's incredibly annoying.

They are required too.  One or two (okay maybe three) people complaining about having to press the OK button to silence the alert is less worrysome to AT&T than the possible huge fines and liability issues if they should fail to transmit a warning and someone should get hurt or worse.  My first reaction to your post was really?

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

10 years ago

This is really annoying, especially since on my (non-AT&T) cell phone, I can go to settings and "opt out" of amber alerts and/or weather alerts. There should be an option in the uverse receiver...especially for those of us who have enough sense to look out the window and see when a storm is coming!!

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@tjperez wrote:
This is really annoying, especially since on my (non-AT&T) cell phone, I can go to settings and "opt out" of amber alerts and/or weather alerts. There should be an option in the uverse receiver...especially for those of us who have enough sense to look out the window and see when a storm is coming!!

Again, please feel free to take that up with your Congressmen, to change the law.  I do not like living in a "Nanny State" either but some people are not too bright, not too educated, and folks with the "can't happen to me" mentality about severe weather, so the Government has to have that approach,

So now we are up to two, count 'em two,  folks who hate, just absolutely hate to press the okay button to silence a required alert.  There are most likely a few million, who see it differently.  You know, there is a way of opting ouit: Anytime severe weather is predicted for your area, please leave the U-Verse TV system off and turn off all radios.  Install ear plugs so that you won't have to hear the tornado sirens, since you mentioned that you have the ability to look out the window and tell which storm is going to be severe.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you, AT&T for finally silencing these abominations! I saw an alert today that stayed peacefully silent! I got the info but wasn't blasted out of the room!

Even if none of the forum members listen to customers, it's good to know that the company is! Thanks!

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@robb0995 wrote:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, AT&T for finally silencing these abominations! I saw an alert today that stayed peacefully silent! I got the info but wasn't blasted out of the room!

Even if none of the forum members listen to customers, it's good to know that the company is! Thanks!

You do realize that 95% of the posters in this forum are customers just like and can do NOTHING about complaints or suggestions?

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

Hahaha.

Well, it will come as a surprise to many posters that their opinions aren't the word of God! 🙂

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@robb0995 wrote:
Hahaha.

Well, it will come as a surprise to many posters that their opinions aren't the word of God! 🙂

I wonder if possibly the issue was a local one with you robb0995?  When I first had U-Verse installed in 2008, the alerts were at a ear piercing level (okay, okay, not actually enough to blow your eardrum out but annoyingly loud) but about 3 years ago, the level went down to a reasonable level.  So, I wonder if it's a local setting that went haywire?  At any rate, it's good to know that it's not overly loud, now.

BTW - I took the liberty of marking your next to last post as an accepted solution - since it seems that is what you were hoping for,.  Welcome! Don't be a stranger on the forums.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

OK - and the "Community Accepted Solution" was ... what?
I'd like the announcements on my system to be less intrusive as well.
Was the change made Uverse-wide?

Please advise.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.